PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Path of the Slayer (Barbarian subclass)

Yunru
2019-02-19, 06:36 AM
Graceful Swings: Beginning when you choose this archetype at level 3, you can add your Dexterity modifier to the damage rolls of weapon attacks made with Strength while raging.
Additionally you have advantage on Dexterity checks while raging.

Elegant Dodging: Starting at 6th level, oppertunity attacks made against you have Disadvantage.

Evasion: Beginning at 10th level, you can nimbly dodge out of the way of certain area effects, such as a red dragon’s fiery breath or an ice storm spell. When you are subjected to an effect that allows you to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, you instead take no damage if you succeed on the saving throw, and only half damage if you fail.

Greater Flexibility: Starting at 14th level your Dexterity score increases by 2, and your maximum for that score is now 22.

Homebrew Index (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?581718-Personal-Homebrew-Index)

Grod_The_Giant
2019-02-19, 09:32 PM
Graceful Swings: Beginning when you choose this archetype at level 3, you can add your Dexterity modifier to the damage rolls of weapon attacks made with Strength while raging.
Additionally you have advantage on Dexterity checks while raging.
I'm... not seeing a whole lot of point to this. It's not letting you be a Dex-based fighter, because you still need Strength for attack rolls and Reckless Attack. Barbarians usually need some Dex, though, so in practice this translates to another +2 rage damage-- probably balanced but hardly exciting. I'd

Elegant Dodging: Starting at 6th level, oppertunity attacks made against you have Disadvantage.
Uninspiring, but decent.

Evasion: Beginning at 10th level, you can nimbly dodge out of the way of certain area effects, such as a red dragon’s fiery breath or an ice storm spell. When you are subjected to an effect that allows you to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, you instead take no damage if you succeed on the saving throw, and only half damage if you fail.
Eesh. Between this and Danger Sense, you're pretty much never getting hurt by AoEs.

Greater Flexibility: Starting at 14th level your Dexterity score increases by 2, and your maximum for that score is now 22.
I... do not recommend-- you're breaking bounded accuracy way too early. Not to mention that Dex is still only going to be a secondary stat at best for you.

Yunru
2019-10-24, 06:36 AM
I'm... not seeing a whole lot of point to this. It's not letting you be a Dex-based fighter, because you still need Strength for attack rolls and Reckless Attack. Barbarians usually need some Dex, though, so in practice this translates to another +2 rage damage-- probably balanced but hardly exciting.
On the contrary, I'd argue that because of Reckless Attack it lets you be a Dex-based fighter. Kinda.
It lets you be a Dex primary fighter, with Strength as a heavy secondary, should you wish, trading accuracy (mitigated by Reckless) for defense.

I... do not recommend-- you're breaking bounded accuracy way too early.
Is it though, is it really "too early"?
How do you even define the right level?