PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Twisted Mind (Sorcerous Origin)

Yunru
2019-02-19, 07:51 AM
Twisted Mind:
Your magic comes from your fractured perception of reality. You can see beyond just the material and visualise something... else. Something more. Others might look upon you as eccentric or crazy, but you know it's more than that.

Expanded Spell List:
Your knowledge encompasses several spells. The following spells are added to the Sorcerer's list for you, and don't count against your spells known.

Spell Level
Spells

1st
Armor of Agathys, Arms of Hadar

3rd
Clairvoyance, Hunger of Hadar

5th
Dominate Person, Hallow

Awakened Mind:
Starting at 1st level, your alien knowledge gives you the ability to touch the minds of other creatures. You can communicate telepathically with any creature you can see within 30 feet of you. You don't need to share a language with the creature for it to understand your telepathic utterances, but the creature must be able to understand at least one language.

Cloud the Mind:
Beginning at 6th level, you can use an action to confuse and disorientate a creature. Choose one creature within 60 feet of you. That creature must make a Wisdom saving throw against your Spell DC. On a successful save, the target falls prone. On a failed save the target must spend it's turn attack the closest creature other than itself. At the end of each of its turns the creature may repeat the saving throw.
Once you've used this feature, you can't do so again until after you complete a long rest.

Sightless Eyes:
At 14th level you can see without sight. Your perception of reality grants you 60 feet blindsight.

Fractured Reality:
Starting at 18th level, when you see a creature make an attack you can use your reaction to have it make a Wisdom saving throw against your spell DC. On a failure the attack instead targets a creature of your choice within its range.

Homebrew Index (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?581718-Personal-Homebrew-Index)

nickl_2000
2019-02-19, 08:30 AM
Expanded Spell List: - So, this isn't the most typical things to see from a sorcerer, but in this case I can see how it would be important.

Awakened Mind: - Is the communication 1 way or 2 way? As in, can the person I am talking to, talk back to me telepathically? This is something spelled out in other telepathy abilities/spells.

Cloud the Mind: - Confusion is a level 4 spell, and although it's an AoE it is still less powerful than this ability. This needs to be limited in the amount of uses and in some other way. The first thing I would do it make it cha mod uses per long rest. Make it be a single round effect, and make it save or suck (if you succeed nothing happens, if you fail then you attack someone).

Sightless Eyes: - Pretty powerful, but at level 14 it seems fine.

Fractured Reality: - Way to powerful. At will you can use a reaction to possibly make them target someone else? This needs to be limited in the amount of uses to make it a resource and make it a little more sane. Cha mod uses per long rest may work for this too.

Yunru
2019-02-19, 08:37 AM
Cloud the Mind: - Confusion is a level 4 spell, and although it's an AoE it is still less powerful than this ability. This needs to be limited in the amount of uses and in some other way. The first thing I would do it make it cha mod uses per long rest. Make it be a single round effect, and make it save or suck (if you succeed nothing happens, if you fail then you attack someone).Whoooops. There's supposed to be a 1/day restriction there that seems to have gotten lost.

Awakened Mind: - Is the communication 1 way or 2 way? As in, can the person I am talking to, talk back to me telepathically? This is something spelled out in other telepathy abilities/spells.It's literally the GOO's feature, so one way. But yeah, it could be spelled out better.

Fractured Reality: - Way to powerful. At will you can use a reaction to possibly make them target someone else? This needs to be limited in the amount of uses to make it a resource and make it a little more sane. Cha mod uses per long rest may work for this too.I wasn't sure about this one. I like that it can be used a lot, was hoping that the fact that it uses your Reaction (so once per round) and does nothing on a successful save would keep the power down.

nickl_2000
2019-02-19, 09:01 AM
Whoooops. There's supposed to be a 1/day restriction there that seems to have gotten lost.

:smallsmile:

I wasn't sure about this one. I like that it can be used a lot, was hoping that the fact that it uses your Reaction (so once per round) and does nothing on a successful save would keep the power down.

My personal opinion is that it doesn't. What if you gave it a cost of sorcerery points? Maybe each time you do it you spend 2 SP? That will allow you to do it a lot, but when you do you are still using up a pretty valuable resource.