PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Way of Determination (Monk Subclass)

Yunru
2019-02-19, 08:57 AM
One of the first that I ever made, recently resurrected:

Way of Determination
Monks that follow the Way of Determination are sustained by their raging spirits and iron resolves.

Push Beyond - Starting when you choose this tradition at 3rd level you can spend a Hit Die as a bonus action to regain Ki Points equal to your proficiency modifier. You don't regain hit points from spending a hit die this way.

Undying Spirit - Starting at 6th level, when you are reduced to 0 hit points for the first time after a short or long rest, you are instead reduced to 1 hit point. You also gain proficiency in death saving throws.

Faster Than Fast - Beginning at 11th level you may spend 5 Ki Points to cast Haste on yourself as an action.

Pierce the Heavens - Starting at 17th level, when you reduce an opponent to 0 hit points with an attack, you gain an additional action if it's your turn, or an additional reaction if it's not.

Homebrew Index (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?581718-Personal-Homebrew-Index)

daemonaetea
2019-02-22, 08:04 AM
I really like this, overall, but two of the abilities seem like they need limitations of some sort put on them.

Push Beyond - Starting when you choose this tradition at 3rd level you can spend a Hit Die as a bonus action to regain Ki Points equal to the number rolled.
Can they use this to go beyond their normal number of ki points? At third level when they get this, they'll be rolling a d8 when they only have 3 ki points to start with. Saying they can't go beyond the 3 as a max seems to be really undercutting that dice roll, but letting a 3rd level monk suddenly have 8 ki points also seems problematic. I'd probably go with a fixed number of ki points restored - maybe proficiency bonus, so it naturally grows over time? Or if you really want the roll, maybe equal to their martial arts die? That's a more reasonable number at low levels.

Pierce the Heavens - Starting at 17th level, when you reduce an opponent to 0 hit points with an attack, you gain an additional action if it's your turn, or an additional reaction if it's not.

This badly cries out for some kind of limit. I can easily see a high level monk facing a big group of mooks chaining together a dozen or more turns. I'm not seeing this as a balance problem so much as a session stopper. Kinda brings the battle to a standstill as the monk just rolls all the dice.

Yunru
2019-02-22, 09:18 AM
Can they use this to go beyond their normal number of ki points? At third level when they get this, they'll be rolling a d8 when they only have 3 ki points to start with. Saying they can't go beyond the 3 as a max seems to be really undercutting that dice roll, but letting a 3rd level monk suddenly have 8 ki points also seems problematic. I'd probably go with a fixed number of ki points restored - maybe proficiency bonus, so it naturally grows over time? Or if you really want the roll, maybe equal to their martial arts die? That's a more reasonable number at low levels.Dammit, I really like both of those, but I have to pick one.

This badly cries out for some kind of limit. I can easily see a high level monk facing a big group of mooks chaining together a dozen or more turns. I'm not seeing this as a balance problem so much as a session stopper. Kinda brings the battle to a standstill as the monk just rolls all the dice.Hmm... not sure how to address this one. As you mention, it's not the power, it's the rolling.

clash
2019-02-22, 10:47 AM
It is a bit odd granting constitution saving throw proficiency when the monk get proficiency in all saving throws at level 14.

I think I would do something like this:

3 Push Beyond: as is but use martial arts die. I like that better than proficiency.

3 Faster than fast: - At level 3 you can cast expedient retreat by expending 2 ki. At level 6 you can cast blur by spending 3 ki and at level 11 you can cast haste targeting yourself by spending 5 ki

6 Advantage on concentration checks

11 Undying spirit without con save proficiency

17 Pierce the Heavens:
Ya this one I would just keep it simple and go with 1/turn or 1/round limitation.

Like the ideas granted here though, and it doesnt really seem out of line in terms of power.

Yunru
2019-10-21, 02:21 PM
Changed Push Beyond and tweaked Undying Spirit.