PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Oath of the Infernal (Paladin Subclass)

Yunru
2019-02-19, 09:03 AM
The first Paladin subclass I ever made. It's focused a lot on fire and brimstone, somewhat of a counterpoint to the Oathbreaker's dark necrotics. Of course, there are those dedicated enough to sell their soul to the devil for the power to do good.

Oath of the Infernal:

A Paladin of the Oath of the Infernal draws their power from a pact with an infernal being. Each being may have its own oath and conditions for those who wish to use its power.

Infernal Spells:
3rd: Burning Hands, False Life
5th: Scorching Ray, Flame Blade
9th: Animate Dead, Fireball
13th: Fire Shield, Wall of Fire
17th: Immolation, Dominate Person

Channel Divinity:
When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity options.
Hellflame. As a bonus action, you can conjure hellish fire that wreaths itself around your weapons. The fire lasts for up to one minute, and during that time attacks made with the weapons deal an extra 1d6 fire damage.
Infernal Support. As an action, you can request help from an infernal being. You DM chooses an appropriate creature with CR no higher than one third your level (rounded down) to appear before you. The creature follows your commands exactly for one minute, before it returns to whence it came.

Aura of Flames:
Beginning at 7th level, dark flames flicker around your form. These fires are only perceivable to those you deem hostile. Whenever a hostile creature within 10 feet of you takes fire damage, they take additional fire damage equal to your Charisma modifier.
At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.

No Flames Hotter:
Starting at 15th level, you have immunity to fire damage. Additionally your fire damage ignores fire resistance and deals half damage to creatures with fire immunity.

Infernal Conduit:
At 20th level, you gain the ability to temporarily channel more power from your oath. As an action, you can magically become a conduit for the power of the infernal you swore an oath to, gaining the following benefits for 1 minute:
• You have resistance to all damage.
• You have advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
• You can cast spells that require you to make an attack roll or another creature to make a saving throw at up to 5th level without expending spell slots.
Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

Homebrew Index (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?581718-Personal-Homebrew-Index)

JeenLeen
2019-02-19, 09:07 AM
Fluff-wise, could it also be for extremely lawful evil followers of devils, who want to serve the truest embodiment of what they consider 'virtue'?

Stat-wise, I don't have a strong sense for comparison, but the level 20 capstone seems underwhelming compared to some others. Maybe add flight? It seems most (all?) of the core rulebook ones give flight as part of it.

Yunru
2019-02-19, 09:30 AM
Stat-wise, I don't have a strong sense for comparison, but the level 20 capstone seems underwhelming compared to some others. Maybe add flight? It seems most (all?) of the core rulebook ones give flight as part of it.

Don't tell anyone, but I stole it from the Oath of Conquest. It's supposed to be a placeholder, but I suck at Paladin capstones.

daemonaetea
2019-02-19, 09:43 AM
Don't tell anyone, but I stole it from the Oath of Conquest. It's supposed to be a placeholder, but I suck at Paladin capstones.
Hahaha, I was going to ask if you had intended to be an "Avatar of Conquest" for your Infernal character. I think the Capstone is fine, but probably should be modified to fall more into line with the rest of the class. It's good enough as a placeholder but isn't nearly as flavorful as the rest of the abilities.

I actually really like this. The only thing I'm iffy on is the summoning aspect of Channel Divinity. I'd actually like it to last a bit longer so it's more of a utility ability. Not very long - maybe five minutes? Just long enough you could get a bit more use out of what you summon than a single simple combat. Although I'm curious if others think that might be too much.

Yunru
2019-10-21, 02:36 PM
Now with a pseudo-unique capstone.