PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Arachnomancer Ranger (PEACH)

Vogie
2019-02-19, 11:27 AM
Arachnomancer - Ranger Archetype

Most beings treat spiders with fear and suspicion. Others, namely drow, worship the Spider Queen Lolth. Arachnomancers, however, understand the truths that spiders conceal and their unique perspective of the world.

Expanded Spell List
You learn an additional spell when you reach certain levels in this class. The spell counts as a ranger spell for you, but it doesn't count against the number of ranger spells you know.

Ranger Level
Spells

3rd
Find Familiar (Spider Only)

5th
Web

9th
Vampiric Touch

13th
Giant Insect

17th
Hold Monster

Web Walker

Starting at 3rd level, you can use the gift of spiders to manipulate the environment around you. As an action, you can create a web with a radius of 20ft. The web acts as difficult terrain to all but those creatures that you designate. While in that web, you have darkvision of 60ft and blindsight of 10ft. While in contact with a web, you know the exact location of any other creature in contact with the same web. You ignore any movement restrictions caused by webbing. You are invisible to any creature that relies on darkvision to see you in that web. The Web collapses 5 minutes after you leave the radius. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (a minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

In addition, you gain a climb speed equal to your normal speed and can ignore difficult surfaces, including climbing upside down on ceilings, without needing to make an ability check.

Acidweb Spit

Starting at 3rd level, you can spit a glob of acid-laced web towards those who invade your space. When a creature you can see moves into a space within 10 feet of you or starts its turn there, you can use your reaction to deal 1d4 acid damage to that creature. The Acid damage increases to 1d6 at 6th level, 1d8 at 10th level, and 1d10 at 14th level. If that creature has a fly speed, it takes double damage.

Spidersilk Armor

At 7th level, You can use your over the course of a long rest, you can create a set of armor out of your spidersilk. It has the same stats as Half plate (providing AC of 15 + Dex modifier (max 2)) but does not provide Disadvantage on stealth checks, and counts as light armor while taking a long rest. The armor fades when left off your person for longer than 10 minutes.

While inside your web, whenever a creature hits or misses you with an attack, you can use your reaction to attack that creature immediately after its attack, provided that the creature is inside your web or within 10 feet of it. While outside of your web, but wearing Spidersilk armor, you can also gain this ability towards hostile creatures within 10 feet of you, but you can use this feature only a number of times equal to your Dexterity modifier (a minimum of once) per Short or Long rest.

Renowned Weaver

Starting at 11th level, your Web spells don't require concentration. When you use a spell slot to Conjure Spiders, or cast the Snare or Web spells, you regain one expended spell slot. The slot you regain must be of a level lower than the spell you cast.

Spider Shape

Starting at 15th level, you can partially or fully transform into giant spider. As a bonus action, you turn into a giant spider or hybrid spider/drider form for 1 minute. While in this form, you gain a +2 bonus to AC, 3 temporary hit points per ranger level, and resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from non-magical sources.

While in drider form, each of your attacks that hit deals an additional 1d10 acid damage.
While in the spider form, your equipment merges into the form, and you gain a bite attack with the finesse property, which deals 2d10 acid damage.
You regain this feature after you finish a short or long rest.

Notes:

Spiderman, Spiderman, does whatever a Man-spider does
While this could be used by Lolth-worshipping Drow rangers, I didn't want to pigeonhole it.
While most spiders key off of poison damage, I switched it to acid damage because it is more viable
Web Walker is mostly just taken from the Spider Special Ability blocks.
Acidweb Spit is taken from the UA version of the Spore Druid, but cleaned up and better weaponized against flying creatures.
Spidersilk Armor makes the character not have to worry about armor, but can't share it. The sleep line is referencing the expanded rest rules from XGtE.
EDIT: Expanded the trigger of Spidersilk armor to work crazy-well inside the web, while still working outside it. Added Cavilier-Style Dex scaling for that.
Renowned Weaver is the Expert Divination Ability, limited to Conjure spells (that conjure spiders), and the non-scaling Web and Snare spells.
I stole the initial stats from the Spidershape from Mike Mearls' Lolth Patron spiderform.
I liked the idea of not locking the ranger into "just become a spider, lol" and giving the option to become a drider instead, either replacing or augmenting their attacks with acid damage.

Please tell me what you think!

Vogie
2019-02-22, 02:37 PM
So I usually include a picture that ties into my homebrew, but forgot on this one. So I went on to look, and this came up...

https://cdna.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/014/267/668/large/digitalspacegeek-ali-en-cas-lrm-export-292142923848545-20181126-144001810-5500x6046.jpg

... which is just amazing, but wasn't really what I'm looking for. Looks pretty hysterical though.

Bjarkmundur
2019-02-22, 07:29 PM
I... I... Don't see a problem with this. Amazing, flavorful, builds beautifully on existing features. Kinda want to make a Spiderranger now.

I'm not a fan of the flavour for the reaction attack of the Armor, but I like the ability so I'm not gonna say anything that might get it nerfed. ^^

Vogie
2019-02-26, 09:16 AM
I'm not a fan of the flavour for the reaction attack of the Armor, but I like the ability so I'm not gonna say anything that might get it nerfed. ^^

You're right - tying it only to the armor seems odd. I should make it an armor OR Web thing, and lean into the flavor a bit more.