PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Best animal options for "Embrace the Wild" spell

Kenadius
2019-02-19, 11:40 AM
Embrace the Wild is a spell I really enjoy because it captures the flavor of the Ranger and Druid really well. This is an optimization thread for said spell.

Embrace the wild appears in several sources with variations. I interpret that as the spell having seen extensive use as well as feedback to the editors. The latest version, from Spell Compendium, removed the potential to optimize (some would say exploit) the spell. Not everyone uses the SpC version though so there might still be someone out there that might benefit from what is posted here.

Sources:
Masters of the Wild (D&D 3.0) pg 87: Level: Drd 3, Rgr 3. Components: V, F. Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Personal. Target: You. Duration: 10 minutes/level

Savage Species (D&D 3.0) pg 65: Level: Drd 3, Rgr 3. Components: V, F. Casting Time: 1 action. Range: Personal. Target: You. Duration: 10 minutes/level

Complete Adventurer (D&D 3.5) pg 147: Level: Druid 2, ranger 1. Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action. Range: Personal. Target: You. Duration: 10 minutes/level (D)

Spell Compendium (D&D 3.5) pg 79: Level: Druid 2, ranger 1. Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action. Range: Personal. Target: You. Duration: 10 minutes/level (D)

On the first three versions of the spell it allows you to adopt the extraordinary senses plus the Listen and Spot skills of an animal whose Hit Dice are equal to or less than your caster level. You can opt to keep your own Listen and/or Spot skill if those were higher than the animal's. This allows for some optimization by comparing the available animals. The available (allowed) animals are likely to vary with different DMs so check with yours in advance.

The SpC version is the latest and most current version but doesn't allow you to choose an animal. It gives low-light vision and either blindsense 30' or scent. Additionally it gives a +2 bonus to both Listen and Spot. Certainly still a good spell.

I have, thus far, found the following animals that merit attention. They offer the best vision mode and/or skill bonus at the lowest HD:

Monster Manual
Bat: 1/4HD, Blindsense 20', Low-light vision, Listen +8, Spot +8.
Mule: 2HD, Low-light vision, Scent, Listen +6, Spot +6.
Snake, Small Viper: 1HD, Scent, Listen +7, Spot+7
Hawk and Eagle: 1HD, Low-light vision, Listen +2, Spot +14.
Owl: 1HD, Low-light vision, Listen +14, Spot +6.
Porpoise: 2HD, Blindsight 120', Low-light vision, Listen +8, Spot +7.

If Dinosaurs are allowed
Deinonychus: 4HD, Low-light-vision, Scent, Listen +10, Spot +10.
Megaraptor: 8HD, Low-light-vision, Scent, Listen +12, Spot +12.

Monster Manual II
Desmodu Hunting Bat: 4HD Blindsense 120', Scent, Listen +13, Spot +13.
Desmodu Guard Bat: 4HD, Blindsense 120', Listen +12, Spot +12.

Monster Manual III
Swindlespitter Dinosaur: 2HD, Darkvision 60', Low-light vision, Scent, Listen +5, Spot +5.

Monster Manual IV
Sailsnake: 3HD, Low-light vision, Scent, Listen+8, Spot +8.

If you have more animals to add to the list please contribute and I will update. I would prefer if we didn't have a discussion on whether this spell is obsolete or overpowered as this post is aimed only at those that can/want to/do use the older versions.

eggynack
2019-02-19, 05:11 PM
The desmodu bats only have blindsense, going by errata.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-02-19, 05:26 PM
Boost your CL as high as possible, then use the titanic template to boost your skills sky-high.

Kenadius
2019-02-21, 10:01 AM
@Eggynack: Firstly, thanks a bunch for the great work on the Druid guide! I'm afraid I wasn't able to find the errata you mentioned on the WoTC archive. I'm not allowed to post links but I'm sure you can google it. Was it someplace else?

eggynack
2019-02-21, 01:33 PM
@Eggynack: Firstly, thanks a bunch for the great work on the Druid guide! I'm afraid I wasn't able to find the errata you mentioned on the WoTC archive. I'm not allowed to post links but I'm sure you can google it. Was it someplace else?
Yeah, totally forgot that this was a monster manual update thing rather than an errata thing. Here ya go (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a).

Kenadius
2019-02-23, 03:02 PM
I read the reprint info @Eggynack. It doesn't mention anything about removing scent, only to replace blindsight with blindsense and change the skill scores. I updated accordingly.