PDA

View Full Version : Bodak on Board!

Afgncaap5
2019-02-19, 12:31 PM
tl;dr - Any fun ideas for how a Bodak could strike terror in players while on an airship?

I've got an Eberron game, and my players have recently come into the crosshairs of an Order of the Emerald Claw cell that's operated by an unusually intelligent (12 instead of 6) Bodak. Due to short-term heroism and a train in need of repair, the players will be offered a free ticket on the equivalent of a small cruise liner that's going their way. The Bodak will sneak aboard and try to finish them off, mostly out of spite (he suspects they *might* have some dangerous "They've seen too much!"-style information, but is mostly just in the mood for a killing spree.)

The sequence itself is partly inspired by the ship logs of The Demeter from the book Dracula, but I won't be holding hard and fast to that. Oh, and I fully intend to give the players super-easy access to a wand or scroll with the Daylight spell, just in case their Knowledge (Religion) check is high enough to let them know about their Daylight sensitivity, but not high enough to let them know that the Daylight spell won't *truly* hurt such a creature. (Though given the deadly nature of a Bodak and the fact that I'm more trying to ramp up the fear before an actual fight, I'd definitely let the spell cause some sort of one-round distraction.)

Hackulator
2019-02-19, 12:43 PM
It depends a lot on how long the trip is.

One idea, have the Bodak kill someone with his death gaze but somehow stage it as an accident. Make it so they aren't just tossing the corpse overboard, it needs to be kept for burial for whatever reason, then have it turn into a Bodak. Have the creature slowly sneak about the ship, trying to pick off weaker crew or passengers to create more minions. As more people die, the Bodaks multiply and its like being stuck on a ship of move style zombies (as more people die, more enemies are born) except these zombies are WAY more dangerous.

You have to figure out how to keep them from just abandoning ship though, if it's an airship over land.

ShurikVch
2019-02-19, 01:08 PM
My suggestion: Nymph (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/nymph.htm) with Bodak Creature template (Dragon Compendium) and three levels in Lurking Terror PrC (Libris Mortis)

Afgncaap5
2019-02-19, 01:54 PM
It depends a lot on how long the trip is.

One idea, have the Bodak kill someone with his death gaze but somehow stage it as an accident. Make it so they aren't just tossing the corpse overboard, it needs to be kept for burial for whatever reason, then have it turn into a Bodak. Have the creature slowly sneak about the ship, trying to pick off weaker crew or passengers to create more minions. As more people die, the Bodaks multiply and its like being stuck on a ship of move style zombies (as more people die, more enemies are born) except these zombies are WAY more dangerous.

You have to figure out how to keep them from just abandoning ship though, if it's an airship over land.

I'm planning on timing it out so that there's an early death before all the other deaths start happening. Right about the time the bodies start to pile up closer to the 24 hour period, the players will stumble across a dead passenger they met earlier on who took the time to write out a line from Homestuck, "Don't turn your back on the body."

-Edit-

Think I'll make the guy who writes out "Don't turn your back on the body" be transporting an ancient mummy in a sarcophagus as a red herring.