PDA

View Full Version : Upon a Pale Horse [Deadlands]

ybn1197
2007-09-27, 10:56 AM
Spring 1877

Captain Jake Johnston and Private James Piltsen
It was a long, difficult winter. Not because of the weather, it hardly ever falls below 45 degrees in Austin. No, it was the training. Both Captain Johnston and Private Piltsen were pulled up from the regular army ranks to join the elite, the Texas Rangers. But nothing ever truly prepared either for the training they endured at brigade command. It was thorough, now you know why the Rangers can boast the claim, "one riot, one ranger." So it was with some surprise you learned you were being teamed together on your first mission.
Major Donaldson, a gruff weathered man who looked older and grayer than his years should, met you both in one of command's briefing rooms. "Current intelligence indicates there are some odd occurances in northern Nevada," he said with a voice that grumbled likes rocks rolling down a mountain-side. "Normally, we try to stay away from that part of the map, and let the yankees handle their own. But command wants to get a heads up on the situation before it becomes our problem. So we're sending you two in to take a look around. Don't try to get in too deep. If there's trouble, its the yanks who should be dealing with it. We just want some information, nothing more. Oh, and try to keep your heads down. The locals may not take too kindly to us interfering in their business."
With a nod, the major dismisses you to collect your gear and start on the trail. Jake finds a map of Nevada has been included amongst his gear, most likely by the Major's assistant. A portion of the north-eastern part of the state has been circled. At its center, a small settlement by the name of Paradise Valley.

Lone Raven
Rumors of dark, unnatural evils have brought Lone Raven to the Paradise Valley area. He has shunned away from contact with the local white men however. Hearing of the hostilites that have occurred between the settlers of Paradise Valley and the native Paiutes, Shoshones and Bannocks, Lone Raven has been reticent to wander too close to town. Though there has not
been any hostilities in the last five or more years, there have been incidents of violence between the tribes and the white folk.
Most of the problems have occured over the pollution caused by the mines in the nearby hills, but as the mines played out and activity slowed, the wounds between the two groups healed and the fighting stopped. There is still the occasional incident, but nothing in comparrison to the way things were.
Still, dark dreams haunt Lone Raven's sleep. Something is amiss in the valley.

Father Adam Guiteau
It has been a long, tiring journey. The last leg of the train ride was on the Denver Pacific and it dropped Father Guiteau off at Battle Mountain, a small community whose only claim to fame is as a railroad supply center to the neighboring mining camps. It was also the closest community with a stage coach connection to Paradise Valley. The driver, one Webster Scott (call him Web or Scott, he answers to either) informs you the coach will take two days to reach Paradise Valley as it travelled north. "On account of dem indjun tribes 'round Paradise Valley, Barny's gonna be sittin' shotgun wit me. But he don't say much, do ya Barny," he adds. Barny meerly moves his head from side to side in a disgusted manner. You soon learn that Barny (Barnabas Frassica) is a greek immigrant who came to the states with his family at a very young age. He speaks little english and keeps to himself most of the time.
Sharing the ride in the coach are two others, both of whom you vaguely remember seeing on the train. One is a woman, barely out of her teens by her looks. She wears clothes of moderate means and carries herself in the manner of someone who has received some schooling. The other, a man in his late 30's, keeps to himself. His clothes show him to be a man of means, as does the leather satchel always at his side.

Fate Chips
Captain Jake Johnston 1R, 2W
Private James Piltsen 1R, 2W
Lone Raven 1B, 2W
Father Adam Guiteau1R, 2W
Joanne Hearst 1R, 2W

technophile
2007-09-28, 10:39 AM
I'll take green as my color. Jake, let me know if I'm taking too many liberties with my intro. ;)

Jim exits the barracks that's been his home this summer--well, as much as you can call it a home when you only get to sleep two hours a night, near enough. Ranger training was as hard as farming, some ways, and much harder, others.

Stretching weary muscles and squinting up at the blue Texas sky, he notes his new partner, Captain Jake Johnston, standing nearby. Jake Johnston--now there was a name to conjure with. Hero of the Confederacy, dashing Ranger, experienced lawman; hard to believe Jim would be spending his time with such a fellow right out of boot camp, as it were.

Respectfully, he approaches the older Ranger. "Well, Cap'n, what's our first move? I doubt a podunk little town like Paradise Valley's goin' to have a real train station, so seems like horse or stage is our best bet." He tries hard to hide his nervousness, speaking as he would to any other Ranger.

Ceridan
2007-09-28, 09:47 PM
[ooc] We are all here to have a good time, so not to worry.I'll take Grey, just to stay in character :) [ooc]

Jake had been up since an hour before dawn. Like any good officer he would say that he was up so early because he wanted to set an example for the others and get a jump on the days work. In truth he had always liked the cool, calm, quiet of the predawn gloom. It was the closest thing to privacy an officer was likely to get.

The training he had gone through since his transfer to the rangers had been the most rigorous of his life. It was almost as instructional as actual combat, but then Jake had seen his fare share of that out in California.

The young ranger, James Piltsen walked up as Jake finished what passed for a cup of coffee around the barracks. He pitched the contents of the cup as Piltsen asked about the travel plans.

"Your right about that. We'll catch a train to Yuma and then make for the City of lost Angels. There we will pick up some union green backs, I do not think they would take kindly to confederate script up in Nevada. Remember not to pack anything like a uniform, the won't fancy that either. Nevada just joined the union a few years ago so most of the civvies may not have been brain washed yet, so we will show them good southern manors so they can see what they are missing. Understood?"

Leshan
2007-09-29, 02:11 AM
Lone Raven

Lone Raven rises from his sleep; grateful to be free of the terrors of the Hunting Grounds if only until he rests again. Walking over to his horse, he takes some rations out of a saddle bag nearby. Squatting on the ground he slowly eats as he considers his next move. "The white men will be suspicious, and there could be trouble. But it is their ways that invite the spirits; incite them to anger. I will travel to them first."

Finishing his meal, he takes the saddle and puts it carefully on the horse; making sure everything is perfect. He winces as he swings himself up; the leg protesting the strain put on it. Judging by the position of the sun he determines where north is, and from there the correct direction to Paradise Valley. Gently urging his horse on he travels at a trot towards the town.

technophile
2007-10-01, 09:33 AM
"Your right about that. We'll catch a train to Yuma and then make for the City of lost Angels. There we will pick up some union green backs, I do not think they would take kindly to confederate script up in Nevada. Remember not to pack anything like a uniform, the won't fancy that either. Nevada just joined the union a few years ago so most of the civvies may not have been brain washed yet, so we will show them good southern manors so they can see what they are missing. Understood?"
"Yessir, makes perfect sense."

Jim's right hand twitches once in the beginning of a salute before his brain overrides his Army training--he's going to have to get used to pretending not to be a soldier or a Ranger. Just when he was getting attached to that gray duster, too.

"I'll see to my gear, then, Captain." With a final nod, Jim heads off to see if he can draw his month's pay from the paymaster ($43) and a brown duster from the quartermaster to replace his gray one. Pulling the duster on, he pins his shiny new Ranger badge on the inside lapel, where even a chance gust of wind won't show it unless he wants it to, and heads back to the barracks to grab his already-packed trail bag, rifle, and gun belt. He then rejoins Captain Johnston outside.

Ceridan
2007-10-01, 05:34 PM
Jake nods as the young ranger walks away. Jim had managed to stop himself from saluting, but he had still twitched. It was a start, but such a slip could give away more than was healthy in the field.

Jake set off to gather his things and then went to see about those train tickets.

ybn1197
2007-10-03, 09:30 AM
Sorry, was hoping to hear from GimliFett. He has not been online since his last post. We will continue on and he can rejoin us in progress, hopefully everything is alright. Also, Ditto and DigestionDamage have completed their characters; I will be bringing them in as well.

As the two of you prepare to leave, a young man, barely old enough to be a cadet, runs over to you. Pulling up short, he slaps a hasty salute to Jake and nod towards James. "Sorry sirs, just run over from command. Major Donaldson sent me. Told me to change ya out, he says." He holds up a leather attache case and pops the clasps for you. Inside are small denomination bills, all in Union script. "He says to change it out with what ya got, and that should leave you enough to get ya where ya need to go." He shrugs as he tries to make sense of the words but obviously is unsure.
There is enough union bills there to change out most of your current dinero. What is not changed out is enough to get transport into Nevada.
After taking the union script, you also notice a folded letter on the bottom of the attache case. Pulling it out and unfolding it, you see it is a note from the Major.
Take the Bayou to El Paso. You can get a lift there to Santa Fe. From there, a stage will get you Denver. From there, the Denver Pacific will get you to Nevada. Keep your heads low and your eyes wide.

Lone Raven
Lone Raven follows the lay of the land through gently rolling hills and fertile ground to the northern end of town. A beaten trail winds its way into town and given its use, could easily be called main street. From his vantage point, Lone Raven sees a number of buildings (about 20) in the small valley below. He has also passed a number of farms along the way, farmers trying to eke out a living from the soil.
As he enters town, reaction to his presence varies. Man stop and stare at him, women cover their faces with their handbags or fans, mothers grab their children and lead them away. It is almost a foregone conclusion (at least in their minds) that trouble is brewing and headed this way. None of the men have made a pass for their weapons, but all eyes do seem to be on Lone Raven and his intentions.

Joanne Hearst
Things have been quite in the sleepy little town of Pleasant Valley. Some days that sits right with Joanne. A quiet town. Neighborly people. No one asking too many questions. Then there are other days where it don't sit right with Debit. Too quiet, too peaceful. No excitement. No oppurtunity to practice her flair. No chance to spread her wings. But Jessie Sutherly, the owner of the Paradise Hotel where Debit has been staying, has been good to her. Not a chatty woman, but one who knows the right thing to say at the right time.
This morning started like any other in town, quiet. The higher class folks meandered into the hotel in the morning for breakfast. Others tended to use one of the two salons in town. After breakfast, folks went about their business, ordering or purchasing supplies from the general store, getting stock from the backery, or checking some of the latest fashion from back east. But business was destined not to be usual this morning. A stir was being caused in town, something was catching the attention, and maybe ire, of the some of the townfolk towards the northern edge.

Eldemar Huntsinger
Its been just over a month since the horror that took Eldemar's family away occurred. A little over two weeks since he finally said goodbye to what remained of the settlement. Two weeks of travelling across the great state of Nevada. He had heard snippets of talk about the little town that lay before him. Pleasant Valley was a quiet town. There were the occassional problems with Injuns in the area, seems they didn't take a liking to the mining operations that were going on. They didn't mind the farming so much, and as the mines played out and the miners moved to more profitable climes, the Injuns bothered with the townsfolk less. Once in a while someone would get themselves in tizzy over something, like missing cattle or stepping on sacred ground; but these things were far and few between, or so the talkings go.
The town had about twenty buildings all told, arrayed in a north/south pattern for the most part. A well beaten trail ran through the town and most of the buildings were built up on either side of it. There were a handful of buildings along two side streets, but it was obvious that most commerce was done on Main. Eldemar had even seen some farms and ranches as he made his way here. So here was a community bound to stay, and far enough away from the rail lines to not draw any attention from those barons.
As Eldemar made his way in, something was obviously causing a stir. Many of the townfolks' attentions were drawn up the street, as if something unusual was going on.

Fate Chips
Lone Raven 1B, 2W
Father Adam Guiteau 1R, 2W
Joanne Hearst 1R, 2W
Eldemar Huntsinger 3W

Ditto
2007-10-03, 10:12 AM
Joanne "Debit" Hearst

She isn't sure if there was just a cold going around because of the sudden influx of folks looking a bit off-color and unsettled, but when her mule starts braying Debit knew something queer was afoot outside. She wipes her mouth lightly with a rough cloth napkin and nods in acknowledgement to Jessie as she heads out into the street.

Moving out into the morning sunlight, Debit steps over to the post where her mule and indefatigable companion, Topper, is hitched. "What is it? What's all the fuss about?" she asks, stroking his mangy muzzle. Topper breaks free of the pleasant massage and turns to look up the main drag and sees a swarthy stranger stalking into town. "Ah. Yeah. That might do it..."

Ceridan
2007-10-03, 12:52 PM
Jake

After trading up the script and reading the letter Jake follows the instructions, as a trip to Lost Angels is no longer necessary. All things considered going north in civilian clothes was the last thing Jake wanted to do.

GimliFett
2007-10-04, 05:05 PM
Father Adam Guiteau

Adam Guiteau smiles and looks at those who accompany him in the stagecoach. "So what brings you folks out to the wild west?" he inquires of them amicably. "I am Father Adam Guiteau," he offers by way of introduction.

Leshan
2007-10-08, 04:25 PM
Lone Raven

As Lone Raven rides into town his eyes scan the townsfolk; keeping an eye out for any hostile movement. He makes sure to keep his hands clearly visable and away from his rifle, not wanting to start any trouble. He looks at the various buildings and their signs; taking it in and keeping an eyeout for anything that seems off.

DigestionDamage
2007-10-09, 09:48 PM
Eldemar Huntsinger

It's hot. Too hot. All I want is a drink, and some fresh smoke.
But it looks like somethin's brewin up ahead. Looks to be a long day already.

Eldemar clucks his horse forward toward the disturbance to see for himself. He sets a leisurly trot, and guides with his knees while languidly rolling a cigarette.

ybn1197
2007-10-15, 01:38 PM
Lone Raven
Women continue to scurry as you guide your horse further down what passes as the main street in the town. Man continue to watch you like a hawk watches its prey but, like yourself, none make a move for their weapon; no one wants to be the first to make a hostile action. By the time you are nearing the third or fourth building (the one boldly proclaming itself as Bank), a man is approaching you. He is wearing a light brown hat pulled up to his brow to give himself an unobstructed view, a dark brown hipster coat, and about his waist is a gun belt (complete with sidearm). Upon the coat is a metal badge, a star to be more precise. "Mornin' chief," he says looking you over with a practised eye. "What brings you inta town?" His tone is neither friendly nor antaganistic.

Joanne Hearst.
The indian continues his trek into town, obviously unconcerned by the stares of the town folk. The woman are moving off the street and into the buildings, obviously fearful of the outcome of his visit. The man are standing their ground, waiting for the stranger to make the first move. As if aware of the rising tension that has suddenly engulfed the town, you notice Sheriff Justinger walking out of the jailhouse, intent on intercepting the indian before he has the oppurtunity to stray too far into town. Crossing in front of the hotel, you see raise the brim of his hat, as if to make sure he has the best view possible before trouble can start. Before the indian can even get to the hotel, the sheriff stands before the horse and rider. "What brings you inta town?" you hear him ask.

Eldemar Huntsinger 3W
You languidly guide your horse into town, curious as to what could cause the commotion this town is experiencing, especially without gun fire. As your horse trots up main street, you notice a man exit the jailhouse. He is wearing a light brown hat pulled down over his brow to protect his eyes from the sun, a dark brown hipster coat, and about his waist is a gun belt (complete with sidearm). Upon his coat, he has a sheriff's badge. Just before the door to the jailhouse can slam shot, you see another man, a younger man, step out into the doorway. Unlike the sheriff, this man is not wearing a coat or hat. He has a bandana tyed around his neck and he carries a rifle in his hands. He stands in the doorway, attentively watching the drama unfold up the street.

The trip by train and stage takes a couple of days. It is both tiring on the body and taxing on the soul, but no one ever told you being a Ranger was an easy job. You soon find yourselves in the mining supply town of Battle Mountain, Nevada. You have learned there are no rails line going any further north so you are forced to purchase a couple of horses.
Ceridan, you already purchased your horse so this is where he comes from (I need to know his exceptional trait.) Technophile, you can get an older surley horse and used gear for the remainder of your dinero. That will still leave you with your month's pay.
A quick guarded conversation with some of the local townfolk points you in the north-western direction to take in order to reach Pleasant Valley in a few days time.

Father Adam Guiteau
"How do Reverend, my name is Alice Waller," the young lady says. Her accent places her as a northerner, most likely one of the middle northern states as it doesn't carry the tone of someone from New England. "I'm visiting some of my relatives in Pleasant Valley. I haven't seen them for a number of years and my folks said that I could once I was finished with my schooling."
The man meerly clears his throat and extends his hand. "Arnett Robelar, Father. I have some business to attend." It is obvious the man is uncomfortable with conversation; whether from in lack of social abilities or by being in the presence of a man of the clothe, you aren't sure.
"What brings you to these parts Reverend?" Alice asks.

Fate Chips
Lone Raven 1B, 2W
Joanne Hearst 1R, 2W
Eldemar Huntsinger 3W

GimliFett
2007-10-15, 01:58 PM
Father Adam Guiteau

Remembering the prepared cover story he and Archbishop Perche had decided upon, Adam smiles at Alice. "Records update from the Paradise Valley parish. Boring, but necessary, I'm afraid. At least I get to travel because of it." he adds cheerily. "I've been couped up inside handling clerical duties -- that is the paperwork kind," Adam chuckles at his pun.

ybn1197
2007-10-15, 02:04 PM
Father Adam Guiteau

Alice chuckles at your pun, the kind of laugh that tells you she understood the pun and not merely laughing along with you. "You are too funny Reverend," she says smiling. She then pauses and blushes. "I.. I meant that in a.. a complimentary manner, of course." She quickly turns and gazes out the coach window at the passing landscape, unsure of how to take back the words she uttered.

GimliFett
2007-10-15, 02:13 PM
Father Adam Guiteau

Adam's face reddens slightly at Alice's embarrassment, and he tries to banish his own in order to make her feel more secure. "No need to worry, Miss Waller. I understood the intent. And it is appreciated. Nothing says I'm not allowed to be entertaining, right?"

technophile
2007-10-15, 02:29 PM
James sighs as his ugly, surly, brute of a horse -- the best he could afford, unfortunately, and an insult to all other equines to be related to him--crowhops again, crushing another of his vertebrae into dust. At least, that's how it feels.

"You are the cussedest, mangiest, stupidest hoofed creature I ever laid eyes on, damn you," he informs it, in tones of infinite disgust. Even while he curses the horse, his eyes never stop scanning the horizon--he'd learned that a long time ago, that the price of surviving out in the bush was constant vigilance. As the horse settles--more or less--into a trot again, James rests his rifle across his saddlehorn and shifts, trying to find an unbruised patch of behind to rest his weight on.

To take his mind off his rear, he raises his voice and addresses Captain Johnston. "So, Captain, what's our first move when we get where we're going? I assume we can't just stroll into town and ask if anything weird is going on, so how do you usually approach this sort of thing?"

ybn1197
2007-10-15, 02:33 PM
Father Adam Guiteau

Alice turns back to Adam, but keeps her eyes cast down. "I'm deeply sorry Reverend. Where I come from, one simply does not make light of a man of the clothe. You are doing the Lord's work, and I am merely a sinful woman." She pauses again and a look of frustration crosses her face. "I'm sorry Reverend. I didn't my say I was a sinner," she points to herself, "but that we all are sinners. Well, not you. Because if we weren't sinners, then God wouldn't have sent his only begotten son to bear our sins upon the cross."
Alice looks to Arnett and back to you. "I'm sorry Reverend, I've said too much. I should have listen to my mother's words. A woman is to be seen not to be heard."

Leshan
2007-10-17, 12:04 PM
Lone Raven

Looking down at the man, Lone Raven nods in greeting. "Good morning. I am here to calm spirits. Have found many restless spirits in the towns of white men before. Looking to see if it is same here."

ybn1197
2007-10-17, 12:25 PM
Lone Raven

The man looks at you and gives a half chuckle as if at some joke that only he heard. "Well chief, we got decent folk here so you ain't gonna see much spirits running wild till the miners come down with their pay. You're welcome to have a look around town. But I don't cotton to disturbin' the peace.Ya sure you wouldn't be likin' better out with the others like yourself?"

GimliFett
2007-10-17, 12:34 PM
Father Adam Guiteau

Adam smiles as he shakes his head gently. "Miss Waller, please don't belittle yourself. You've a sharp mind, from what I can tell, and God gave us mouths to speak, did he not? He also gave us two ears, to double our capability for listening. However, the Lord doesn't punish us for speaking with one another, especially to pass time on such long journeys." He begins to stretch out a hand for a reassuring pat, but decides against possibly embarassing the girl further and stops after only the barest hint of a twitch.

"You mentioned that you finished your schooling? What do you plan on doing now?" he asks, trying to change the subject to something more comfortable for Alice.

Leshan
2007-10-17, 12:42 PM
Lone Raven

A haunted look enters Lone Raven's eyes when the sheriff mentions the local Indians. "Maybe. I have strayed from the Old Ways." Looking around for a moment, Lone Raven then asks the sheriff, "Where can I find the place you talk to the man Jesus?"

Ceridan
2007-10-17, 01:12 PM
Jake

After he and the rookie get situated they head out for the mission.

Traveler will be Brave. It would look silly if my horse went wild in the middle of a rescue or some such. :smalleek:

ybn1197
2007-10-17, 02:12 PM
Lone Raven
If the sheriff were in the middle of drinking something you are sure he would be spitting it out in a cloud of liquid and vapor, such is the look of surprise on his face when asked the question. "Uhmm," he stammers with an incredulous look on his face. A twitch seems to appear between his cheek and eye. "Down main," he points. "Last building on the right before you leave town."

Map to the Town of Pleasent Valley:

http://www.baydragons.com/pv_map.gif

Father Adam Guiteau
Alice's demeanor perks up, obviously glad to get away from the current line of conversation. "The town doesn't have a school. I was hoping that, with the help of the elders of the town, I could set one up for the children. Those that do receive some form of education are taught at home. And that's awful burden on their mothers who could their time in some other way. I was hoping that I could open a school house and start teaching."

GimliFett
2007-10-19, 08:29 AM
Father Adam Guiteau

Adam smiles brightly at Alice. "Very admirable, Miss Waller. Education is very important, especially out here at the frontier, hm? Good luck to you."

ybn1197
2007-10-19, 10:02 AM
((OCC: Sorry for not reply to yours earlier. I had a limited amount of time and it was either post what I had ready or post nothing. I figured post what I had and come back to it as soon as I could. Unfortunately free time became very limited.))
The ride from Battle Mountain to Pleasant Valley takes a good part of three days. You are sure you could have made it in two days but giving your origins and the nature of your trip, you decide to make a low profile of yourselves and take extra percautions in your journey.
As you approach town, it is obvious something major has occurred by the amount of commotion going on.
You actually arrive a day after the events currently experienced by the other posse members. So what is currently happening is not causing the commotion you are witnessing. I'm working to get everyone in sync timeline wise.

Father Adam Guiteau
The remainder of your journey is passed in idle conversation with the young Miss Waller with the occasional expletive thrown in by Web as he notices things outside the carriage (these are typically followed by 'apologies Reverend' as he remembers his passengers.) Conversation with both Barnabas and Robelar is practically nonexistant.
You arrive in town of Pleasant Valley near the end of the afternoon. The sun is starting to sink in the west and the heat of the day is beginning to loosen. You hear Web up front yell down, "We're entering Pleasant Valley folks. The station up yonder on the north part of town. I'll let ya'll out thar." The coach continues up the main street before turning onto a side street before the end of town. Web stops the horses outside a decent sized building and climbs off. He opens the door on the left side of the coach while Barnabas does the same on the right. "Ya'll have a nice stay," Web remarks as you disembark from the coach.
You actually arrive 8 hours after the events on main street.

GimliFett
2007-10-19, 10:54 AM
Father Adam Guiteau

Before hefting his travel trunk and heading to the boarding house, Adam looks at Alice. "Do you need any assistance, Miss Waller? I can give you a hand before I get my own things to the boarding house and head over to the church."

ybn1197
2007-10-25, 10:14 AM
Father Adam Guiteau
Alice takes her two small bags from Scott and smiles at Adam. "No thank you, I can handle themself. They are quite light," she says with a smile. "I appreciate the conversation, reverend." With that, she begins to walk towards main street and, presumably, her destination.

(OCC: We are going to fast forward here in order to move the game along. I have not heard replies back from Leshan and DigestionDamage, hopefully they will be rejoining us shortly.))

ALL
It is early the next morning. Most, if not all, of you are asleep in your hotel rooms, bedrolls, etc. when the sound of gun fire rips you from the blessed warmth of sleep's embrace. There are a number of shots fired, followed by the sound of horses being ridden hard.

GimliFett
2007-10-25, 04:06 PM
Father Adam Guiteau

Adam bids Alice a good night, then continues to the boarding house and checks into his room, where he lays down to sleep soundly, with the intent of looking in at the church the next morning.

The next morning, awakened by the ruckuss, Adam rushes to the window to see what caused the commotion, opening them wide and looking out and around quickly. Not able to help himself, he had not had a chance to put a shirt on, remaining only in his longjohns.

Ceridan
2007-10-26, 02:16 AM
Jake

Jake had been up for a few minutes admiring the cool stillness of the early morning as he was want to do, when his revere was broken by the bark of gunfire and the thunder of hooves. He pulled his Rifle from its scabbard and moved to take what cover he could find.

"Piltsen." he said loud enough to draw the sleeping man out of the rather fond dream he was having by the contented look on his face. "Looks like we are having company for breakfast."

Leshan
2007-11-05, 02:40 AM
Lone Raven

"Thank you," and with those words Lone Raven rides on. He continues on past the church and out of town. The townsfolk were already near the point of violence in his eyes; no need to push them farther today. Best to bed down for the night just outside town and wake up early enough that he'd be able to enter town without frightening to many people.

Next Morning
Lone Raven was already up and eating some jerky when the sound of gunfire erupted from the town. "Will today be the day I go to the Hunting Grounds?" Lone Raven wondered as he quickly mounted his horse, drew his rifle, and rode towards the town.

technophile
2007-11-05, 11:24 AM
"Piltsen." he said loud enough to draw the sleeping man out of the rather fond dream he was having by the contented look on his face. "Looks like we are having company for breakfast."

James rolls over onto his stomach, his rifle coming up to his shoulder as he gets into a shooting position before his eyes are even fully open. Not seeing anything immediately threatening, he glances around for a better position, then looks to the Captain for orders.

ybn1197
2007-11-07, 10:27 AM
((OCC: Waiting for a post from Debit. I will wait till tonight and then continue.))

((OCC: Hearing nothing from Ditto or DigestionDamage, I'll continue on without them and have them rejoin should we hear from either one again.))

ybn1197
2007-11-09, 12:51 PM
In-Town (Father Adam Guiteau)
Being relatively early in the morning, there are not alot of people in the street, making the cloud of dust which is slowly falling more obvious. The dust trail runs to the west of the hotel and out of town and looks as though it was created by a couple of horses being ridden hard. You see the sheriff run past the hotel towards the bank before turning back and heading towards the jailhouse/office he uses.

On the outskirts of town (Lone Raven, Captain Jake Johnston and Private James Piltsen)
Unfortunately, due to your various vantage points, you can not see much of what is occurring in town (all three of you are to the south). You do all see a small cloud of dust being kicked up by a couple of horses moving to the west of town. This is also the source of the gunshots.

Fate Chips
Lone Raven 1B, 2W
Joanne Hearst 1R, 2W
Eldemar Huntsinger 3W

Ditto
2007-11-09, 10:03 PM
((Hey! We're back!))

Debit

With a small 'Eep!', Debit rolled/fell out of her narrow bed of her second floor room at the Paradise. She brushed her hair out of her eyes and scurried on all fours to the window, scanning the street for the source of the racket that had disturbed her all-too-brief sleep. It wasn't rare she could get through a night without unpleasant dreams, and as soon as she catches a decent few hours' shut-eye, someone goes shooting the place up. Figures.

Ceridan
2007-11-14, 02:00 PM
Jake

Jake watches the dust cloud intently. How like the yanks to leave good honest hard working folk with-out protection. Lilly livered Bastards. "Well, lets see what all this fuss is about shall we?"

technophile
2007-11-18, 12:41 AM
Jim stands, his rifle at the ready but no longer at his shoulder. He watches the dust cloud for a moment, then saddles his horse, efficiently and silently. When he's done he glances at the Captain, eyebrows raised.

"Ambush 'em, or play it straight?" he asks simply, his demeanor calm and considering. "For the record I vote gettin' the drop on 'em, Captain. Damn Yanks don't have no sense of honor, or self-preservation, neither."

ybn1197
2007-11-26, 09:13 AM
** bump **

Waiting to see if Leshan (Lone Raven) and GimliFett (Father Adam Guiteau) are still around. DigestionDamage (Eldemar Huntsinger) has not logged on the site in over a month, so I'm assuming he's out. I will continue the game if one of them returns.

GimliFett
2007-11-26, 01:19 PM
Father Adam Guiteau

Adam spins away from the window and grabs his coat, throwing it on quickly and not bothering to straighten it out. Looks like the sheriff could use a hand. Hopefully not a healin' one by the time I arrive, either, the preacher thinks to himself as he grabs his stuff and heads out the door and down the stairs.

Sorry, y'all! I'm around, but busy and slowly catching up.
Baby + Holiday = No Time... :smallfrown:
'Preciate y'all's patience. :smallbiggrin:

ybn1197
2007-11-29, 11:01 AM
In Town (Father Adam Guiteau and Debit)
Father Adam bolts from the hotel in time to see Sheriff kneeling down in front of someone. Its a bad vantage point but it looks like he's kneeling in front of the deputy.
From the window, Debit sees the same thing but her's is a better vantage point. It is most definately the deputy the sheriff is kneeling in from off. The deputy's shirt is stained a dark crimson that seems to be getting larger rather quickly.

On the outskirts of town (Captain Jake Johnston and Private James Piltsen)
((OCC: Are you going to ride into town or attempt to follow the rapidly dissapating cloud of dust?))

Fate Chips
Lone Raven 1B, 2W
Joanne Hearst 1R, 2W

GimliFett
2007-11-29, 01:45 PM
Father Adam Guiteau

So much for that idea. Best do what I can, Adam considers silently as he hurries to the fallen man's side. "If you'll allow, Sheriff, I can try and save this man," he offers even as he pushes his sleeves up to his elbows, preparing to lay hands on the wounded deputy.

Ceridan
2007-11-30, 03:48 AM
Jake

After saddling their horses Jake and Jim head toward town. As the dust cloud heads away Jake reins up. "Well the town isn't going anywhere so lets see where this lot is headed. We will follow at a discreet distance and keep the element of surprise."

They follow the dust cloud at a distance.

technophile
2007-12-04, 11:20 AM
Jim swings up into his saddle, checks his pistol in its holster, and rests his rifle where he can use it quickly if necessary. A chase always gets his blood up, and he can feel the excitement building the way it always does. Sternly, he tamps it down, reminding himself Steady Jimmy, steady.

He urges his horse into a trot next to the Captain, eyes on the dust cloud--but glancing around every so often for unpleasant surprises or places to hide if whatever they're following turns or stops.

ybn1197
2007-12-12, 08:28 AM
((OCC: Sorry guys, but I think I'm going to close this game. Both Ditto and Leshan have not posted in over a month and I have always preferred at least four in a group to run. Unless I hear from one of them this week, I figure the game is dead.))

Ditto
2007-12-12, 09:48 PM
(I'm here and all, but I didn't think one post every week or so constituted a live game. I apologize if it's been a wait on me specifically. The open-ended-ness of everyone standing around, waiting for something to hit the fan, sort of gave me a petering-off vibe.)

ybn1197
2007-12-13, 09:24 AM
((OCC: And you're right. The slow posting schedule is my fault. Unfortunately, due to Real Life issues and the coming holidays, I can't post more often. Once the holidays are over and IF my RL issues are resolved, I will be able to post more frequently. This isn't the only thread I'm involved in. In fact, I've dropped all but this one and a Star Wars d20 game in order to keep others from being affected by my posting schedule (or lack thereof).
So what I think it boils down to is if everyone is OK with the posting schedule right now or not. If everyone could let me know, I'll be able to better judge the future of the game.))

GimliFett
2007-12-13, 09:46 AM
{{OOC: I'm fine with things as they are, with the hope/understanding of an improvement in the near-ish future. :smallsmile: }}

Ceridan
2007-12-14, 01:11 AM
I am up for continuing.

Ditto
2007-12-14, 09:18 PM
(So long as we're all in on continuing, I shall too!)

ybn1197
2007-12-18, 11:58 AM
((OCC: Once again, my apologies to everyone for my posting schedule, or lack thereof. Hopefully, once the holidays are over, my RL situation will also resolve and then I can start posting at a fairly regular pace. I PM'ed technophile regarding this discussion and he responded in a PM that he is willing to continue the game as well. Given that the four of you are willing to suffer through my erratic posts, I'll continue on. So you all have my apologies and my thanks.))

In Town (Father Adam Guiteau and Debit)

Father Adam Guiteau
So much for that idea. Best do what I can, Adam considers silently as he hurries to the fallen man's side. "If you'll allow, Sheriff, I can try and save this man," he offers even as he pushes his sleeves up to his elbows, preparing to lay hands on the wounded deputy.
The sheriff casts Adam a quizzical look. "Don't tell me you're a sawbones too, Father." ((OCC: Remember, the use of magic, even miracles, is relatively unknown to the lay person on the street.))

From within the hotel, Ditto sees a man join the sheriff, it is difficult to tell much of the newcomer aside from the fact he appears to be a relatively young man, unhardened by the trials and tribulations of living in the frontier.

On the outskirts of town (Captain Jake Johnston and Private James Piltsen)
You turn to follow whomever is making the dust cloud and realize it might be difficult as the cloud has all but disapated from the area in which you are. Further along, in the direction they appear to be traveling, the ground is not as open - giving less opportunity for dirt to fly up in the wake of their horses. There is also the issue of not having any intel on this group - their numbers, their strengths and weaknesses, or what exactly happened.

Fate Chips
Joanne Hearst 1R, 2W

GimliFett
2007-12-18, 12:58 PM
Father Adam Guiteau

Adam blushes a moment, then tries to cover the situation as best he can. "I have a little medical training. Maybe his wound isn't as bad as it looks, Sheriff. If you'll keep an eye out and let me know what happened, I'd appreciate it!"

As soon as the sheriff turns away, the priest focuses his attentions on the wounded man. "Holy Jesus. Father God. Please allow your blessings to restore this man," he utters quietly as he brings the powers of the blessed to bear.

How're we handlin' rolls? Faith roll would look like this, I guess, using rollv:
Faith: [roll0]; then continue in an additional post from there, or continue rolls in OOC?
I think I'll toss a white in to reroll the lowest... It's been a while, is that allowed? Or do whites just add 1? Argh!

technophile
2007-12-19, 10:42 AM
Jake watches the dust cloud erase itself from the sky. He turns and spits into the dust to express his irritation as he pulls his horse up.

"We're not going to catch 'em like this, Captain. I can track 'em, but without knowing who they are I don't know if that's the best idea. Tracks'll still be there tomorrow, maybe we should head into town and get some idea what it is we're following." He glances at the Captain, shifting slightly in his saddle. Having given his advice, he sits patiently, waiting for the boss to make the call either way.

Ditto
2007-12-19, 07:00 PM
Debit

Without really working out what she aims to accomplish, Joanne throws her long grey duster over her dressing gown and scoops up her ever-present card-bookmarked Bible as she dashes down to the ground floor. As she exits the building, she spies a few other heads poking out of windows along the main drag. Jessie is already awake, of course, and seems to have been fussing about for hours with the breakfast fixin's. Debit steps just outside of the hotel alongside her and then takes a few hestitant steps forward toward the men in the middle of the street. She turns to look back and says, "Miss Sutherly, I think we'd best get the man inside so we can lay him out proper. Could we grab a canvas or cart or summat? T'ain't no good for a bleedin' man to lie in the road... dearie me, he's all a red mess..."

ybn1197
2007-12-20, 09:31 AM
[COLOR="Blue"]
How're we handlin' rolls? Faith roll would look like this, I guess, using rollv:
Faith: (5d12)[7][8][7][9][5](36); then continue in an additional post from there, or continue rolls in OOC? I think I'll toss a white in to reroll the lowest... It's been a while, is that allowed? Or do whites just add 1? Argh!
In Deadlands, its the best result on the die, not the total. So your roll would look like Faith: (5d12)[7][8][7][9][5]; 9 being the result. Remember, if you roll the max value on one of the die its an Ace. You get to re-roll that die and add the results to the previous roll. And you keep re-rolling as long as the die comes up an Ace. Unfortunately, you didn't roll an Ace, so you have a 9. Toughness is based on the level of the wounds and without ranks in Medicine, I can't tell you the severity of his wounds. Other factors to take into consideration: you get a bonus to your roll based on his faith if you are of the same religion; and a negative if you are of different religions. The white chip will allow you to roll one more die in an attempt to get better than the 9. Are you going to spend the white chip?

GimliFett
2007-12-20, 11:16 AM
Father Adam Guiteau

The preacher seems to be deeply intent on the wounded man.

I remembered the highest roll is the result, I just dunno how to use the roller to not add the dice together. That's why I did {rollv}. I'll take the White Chip Reroll: [roll0] and hope for the best!
EDIT: Urg. Well, looks like 9 is my total, then!

ybn1197
2007-12-21, 09:10 AM
Father Adam Guiteau
I remembered the highest roll is the result, I just dunno how to use the roller to not add the dice together. That's why I did {rollv}. I'll take the White Chip Reroll: [roll0] and hope for the best!
EDIT: Urg. Well, looks like 9 is my total, then!
Sorry. I misunderstood. I don't know either so I quess {rollv} is the best for now and I will just pick out the highest roll.
Father Adam Guiteau
You feel the power of the Lord move through you and begin to mend the body of the deputy (Serious Wounds - TN 9). The man is not out of the woods yet but he is certainly on his way to recovery.

Debit
Miss Sutherly runs in the back and within moments returns with some old blankets. "Keep him covered and warm. I'll fetch Richard to get some of the other men to take him over to the Doc." With that she scurrys once more into the back to find Richard. You head outside with the blankets to find the sheriff and the other man crowded over the deputy. He is sitting up (barely) and coughing and breathing heavy but he certainly looks better than the amount of blood soaking his shirt and covering the ground would lead one to believe. The sheriff had a very stunned look on his face and is at a loss for words.

(OCC: Waiting for Ceridan)

Fate Chips
Father Adam Guiteau 1R, 1W
Joanne Hearst 1R, 2W

GimliFett
2007-12-21, 12:41 PM
Father Adam GUiteau

Adam smiles brightly at the sheriff. "Messy, but not as bad as it looked, huh? Now, could you tell me what happened?" The preacher tries to shift the topic before it begins.

Ditto
2007-12-22, 12:17 PM
Debit

After Jessie hands her the blankets, Debit trundles over to the trio. She addresses the sheriff, saying, "Jessie's fetchin' some menfolk so's to carry this fellow to the doctor's. Yeesh... messy..." Seeing the gunshot wound, she looks around the area in the weak morning light. I wonder who shot him... and if he's still around...

((If he looks like he's still bleeding at all, I'd like to cast Bandage. I gather the Reverend's mojo took care of that, though.))

ybn1197
2007-12-28, 09:28 AM
In Town
The sheriff is obviously dumbfounded by the turn of events with the deputy's health. Though the wound is mended and he will recover, he is still badly hurt and has lost alot of blood. It will be some time before he is back on his feet again, but at least he will get back on his feet. "It... it... it looked much worse when it all happened," the sheriff stutters. "Dang blame it. These old eyes must have been playing tricks with me." He glances over at Debit, "Thank ya kindly miss. Doc should be able to patch him up nicely." He draws himself up and looks at Adam. "It was the Clancy brothers. They musta snuck inta town in the dead o' night an' hid out 'til Mr. Smithers opened up this mornin'. Then bent a gun over his noggin and dragged him on inta the bank - then they left us a note tellin' us who they was and rode outa town with the money, shootin' and raisin' hell as they went. I'm gonna hav to get after 'em. I reckon I can't let this go unanswered."

GimliFett
2007-12-28, 09:33 AM
Father Adam Guiteau

The preacher's face blanches as the sheriff explains the situation. "Why would they leave a note? That doesn't make much sense," he says the last with a puzzled look on his face. "I'm glad your man's wound wasn't as bad as it looked, but I don't think you should rush off alone after the culprits."

ybn1197
2007-12-28, 11:49 AM
"No one ever done accused the Clancy brothers of being smart," the sheriff says matter of factly. "As for going alone, I reckon I don't have no choice. Folk around here ain't much for strapping on iron and courting danger. I ain't gonna get a posse out of them. Don't get me wrong, I can't say I can argue with them over it, it's dangerous business and they all got family to look out for."

GimliFett
2007-12-28, 11:52 AM
Father Adam Guiteau

Adam purses his lips and strokes his chin. "I'd be glad to give you a hand, Sheriff. It seems you could use it. Besides, a man of the cloth can often have a strong effect on those of a criminal bent."

Ditto
2007-12-28, 01:05 PM
((I've been around town a little while.. any chance I could get a little background on the Clancy brothers?))

ybn1197
2008-01-02, 09:52 AM
((OCC: Slight problem but nothing major. I keep all my character sheets (both mine and those from the games I run) on an external hard drive. That hard drive crashed over the holiday. The adventure notes, luckily, where kept on another system and are still accessable. If everyone could please PM me a copy of their character sheets. Ditto - I will reply to your question once I have your character sheet.))

((OCC: Strike that. Forgot I had everyone post their characters to the OCC thread.))

Debit
Even though you have been in town for a little while, you haven't heard much about the Clancy Brothers. It seems the Sheriff is more familiar with them than you are. What you have heard though is they are a small gang, usually three or four of them and only two are actually brothers.

Ditto
2008-01-02, 01:33 PM
(I didn't even know external hard drives *could* crash. Thought they were just big jump drives. Who knew!)

Debit

"If the townsfolk gotta do right by their families, that's their prerogative, but I've got a rifle upstairs that says these Clancys ought'n't be able to shoot a lawman like this. Haven't been huntin' rats lately."

ybn1197
2008-01-02, 01:45 PM
(I didn't even know external hard drives *could* crash. Thought they were just big jump drives. Who knew!)

((They look like big jump drives, but what they are, or at least what mine was, is simply a regular hard drive in a powered and cooled enclosure box.))

Ceridan
2008-01-04, 03:46 AM
Jake

OOC: Sorry the holidays have been hectic.

Jake reigns in Traveler, a slow anger burning in his gut. He had seen first hand what bandits were capable of, yet Jim had a point. They were reacting as Texas Ranger should to a threat to his fellow country men.Then again this was not the good old C.S. of A. was it? Best to avoid the trouble if possible and be about the mission.

Nodding, Jake said "This isn't our fight. We came out here to complete a mission, not get drawn into something that does not concern us. Lets go. Oh and Jim, stop calling me captain. The locals might pick up on that and think it a might odd. Jake will do." He turned Traveler back the way they had come, it would not be a good idea to come riding into town from the same direction the trouble makers had just rode off in. They back tracked back to what had been their camp the night before and then turned toward town.

ybn1197
2008-01-08, 08:53 AM
The sheriff seems to take a long hard look at Father Adam, indescision clearly etched in his eyes. Finally he simply nods his head. "Thanks for the offer, padre. But I'll warn ya up front. I'd prefer to take them in peaceful like, but if that ain't possible, don't try and stop me when the lead starts to fly." He then looks over at Debit. "Ma'am, I ain't sure the fairer sex should be involved in nasty business such as this. I ain't got the strength nor the time to stop ya, if'n ya get a head a steam to go." He then looks the two of you over. "I reckon ya both might want to get changed a'fore we go, but we ain't got time to waste."
You both go to your rooms and grab your gear, returning to find the sheriff already astride a horse, holding the reins to two others. "I know the padre don't have one and I took the assumption ma'am that you didn't either. We'll need them to catch up to the Clancys. Now come'on; we ain't got another minute to loose." Without waiting for you to mount your horses, the sheriff turns and sends his steed into a run out of town.
Within minutes, you catch up with the sheriff outside of town. He has slowed his horse to a trot at the approach of two men coming towards town. "Gentlemen," he calls out to the two. "What brings ya to town?" His wording is clipped as he is obviously hurried, but its still stable. The last thing he wants is more trouble this morning.

Fate Chips
Father Adam Guiteau 1R, 1W
Joanne Hearst 1R, 2W

Once again, my apologies to everyone. It seems like 2008 is going to start the same way 2007 ended. My paternal grandfather passed away Saturday evening. Once I get off work tonight, I heading to my parents' house where I will be staying the rest of the week. As they do not have internet access, I will not be on the boards until Monday. I will try to address anything in-game until this evening; but after that, it will have to wait till next week.

Ceridan
2008-01-16, 02:17 AM
Jake

Jake watched as the small group approached from the direction of town. As they neared one was clearly wearing a badge. As the sheriff hailed them, Jake silently reminded himself that he was on a mission and that these were not two bit slimy Yankee scum who played at being honorable soldiers because they wore a blue uniform. A calm head would be required.

"Morning too yah. We are looking for a decent meal and a cold drink. We would be abliged if you would point us to the local inn."

ybn1197
2008-01-16, 04:22 PM
The man on the lead horse nods his head to you. "There's an inn on the main thoroughfair. Can get yourself a hot meal if'n that's what ya'll are lookin' fer. Wish I could escort you in, but we're after some sidewinders that robbed the bank earlier and nearly done my deputy in."

GimliFett
2008-01-17, 05:00 PM
Father Adam Guiteau

The preacher sits his horse with practiced ease. He tips his hat in acknowledgement of the newcomers, but lets the sheriff do the talking, since it's his town.

technophile
2008-01-22, 10:43 AM
Jim takes the captain's rebuke silently. A single slip of the tongue could get them both killed, or worse--jeopardize their mission.

At the sheriff's words, Jim feels his blood surge, anxious to be out on the trail after the criminals, but he forces himself to calmness. His horse shies a moment, picking up his emotion, but he reins it back to stillness easily. "We heard the ruckus this morning, sheriff." He glances dubiously over the sheriff's party. "Kind of a mismatched posse you got there, if you don't mind my sayin' so," he continues. "Jake, you think it's worth delayin' the breakin' of our fast to lend some support to the lawman here?" He sits casually, but his horse's frisking again gives away his eagerness before he reins it in.

ybn1197
2008-01-28, 09:38 AM
((OCC: Hopefully third time is a charm. Problems with internet connection.))

The sheriff glances back at the two others following him and nods at Jim. "You can call it mis-matched. I call 'em brave volunteers. Rest of the town-folk are simply unable or unwilling to put their lives on the line. Specially seeing how them sidewinders aren't scart enough not to shoot on a lawman. They reckon they'll get shot at too, and since most of them couldn't hit the broad side of the barn standing right in front of it, thats even more people I need to bury needlessly. If'n you're offering to help, I'd gladly take it."

GimliFett
2008-01-28, 09:48 AM
Father Adam Guiteau

The preacher nods in agreement. "It would be nice to have such seasoned hands as yourselves join us, gentlemen," he says with a smile in his New Orleans drawl. "I am Father Adam Guiteau."

Ceridan
2008-02-01, 12:40 PM
Jake

Jake looks over the volunteers and is not impressed. He makes up his mind to go with them, as it would at least let him git the measure of the town sheriff. "If you need a hand we are willing to help. Thieves shouldn't be running off with decent hard working folks money any how. My name is Jake, this is Jim. Pleased to meet yah."

ybn1197
2008-02-05, 08:01 AM
((Any other introductions? Anyone else still around?))

Ditto
2008-02-21, 10:10 PM
Debit

Debit inclines her head prettily, slanting the front of her ancient wide-brimmed hat. Matched against the relatively well-kept ash-colored duster she wore, the beat-up & faded surface might lead one to believe that the hat held itself together with nothing but character. "Genn'lmen. I'm Joanne Hearst. Call me Debit. Shall we git to rat huntin'?"

ybn1197
2008-02-25, 08:36 AM
((OCC: Sorry. Had trouble accessing the site again on Friday. Is it just our access here or is anyone else having problems?))

The sheriff nods at Jake and Jim, the best thanks for helping you figure you're going to get from the man at this time. He wheels his horse back around and breaks into a gallop, heading towards some mountainous terrain.

He's riding his horse hard, trying to make up for lost time, but you have little trouble catching back up to him. By the time you reach the foothills, he slows his horse and eventually jumps off. Holding his hand up, you signals everyone to stop as he scans the ground looking for tracks. The wind has kicked up some of the dirt and dust, obscuring the tracks and making it slightly more difficult to proceed.

((Anyone want to make a Trackin' roll along with the sheriff or do you want to accept his results?))

technophile
2008-02-25, 03:41 PM
Jim dismounts his horse crisply, letting the reins fall to the ground so the horse will stay put, and scans the ground along with the sheriff--obviously being very careful where he puts his feet so as not to disturb any remaining tracks.

[ooc edit: Removed dice roll since I didn't think to use rollv for busts/raises, one sec.../ooc]

technophile
2008-02-25, 03:44 PM
Roll for Trackin': [roll0]

ybn1197
2008-02-26, 08:35 AM
Jim and the sheriff both agree on the trail taken by the Clancys and remount their horses. The trail the Clancys took leads further and further into the mountains. As you travel along, you all notice the sky turning grey and foreboding.

After three hours of riding (everyone make a Horse Ridin' or Vigor roll) the trail leads you towards a small mine halfway up one of the mountains. As the you've been riding, they skey has moved from grey to reach the point where a storm is been building - it looks about to break as you catch sight of an abandoned mine entrance.

The sheriff takes a gander at the storm clouds overhead and suggests shelter in the mine rather than risk the storm and mudslides in the mountains - the Clancy's will have to wait. After an uneventful ride, you reach the mine just as the storm breaks. Three horses are tied inside the entrance - the sheriff recognizes them as belonging to the Clancy's.

GimliFett
2008-02-26, 09:23 AM
Father Adam Guiteau

The preacher looks to have managed the ride fairly well. As he dismounts and the sheriff notes the horses, he smiles as he looks at the others. "Looks like your suggestion will work out, Sheriff," Adam says quietly.

Ridin': [roll0]

technophile
2008-02-26, 09:50 AM
Jim dismounts his horse, suppressing a sigh of relief at being off the crowhopping flea-bitten beast again. His rifle in his left hand, he touches the grip of his pistol, making sure of its location before he returns his right hand to the grip of the rifle.

"That's a stroke of luck and no mistake, Sheriff. O'course, could get a mite unpleasant out here if they decline to invite us in..."

He begins scanning the immediate area, looking for cover and avenues of fire into the mine's mouth, just in case there's an ambush waiting.

Ridin': [roll0]

ybn1197
2008-02-27, 12:39 PM
Posse
Search
Jake: [roll0]
James: [roll1]
Father Adam: [roll2]
Debit: [roll3]

As the posse prepare for trouble from within the entrance of the mine, Father Adam and Debit catch notice of someone following the path you just climbed. He is a younger man who looks worn from a long travel and if he were trying to sneak up on you, he's doing a terrible job. Looking towards the sheriff, you see he does not recognize the man.

Miguel Arteaga
You have come to Paradise Valley not so much willingly but following a call. Something is deadfully wrong and your particular talents are needed. As you approach the valley, the sky is beginning to darken and hints at read. In the distance, you see a small group riding away from town and into the mountains, obviously very intent on something based on the speed at which they are pushing their horses. Something deep inside you presses you to follow them.
Make a Horse Ridin' or Vigor roll.

Felistor
2008-02-28, 12:21 PM
Miguel looks at the ominous signs in the sky and checks his pistols before spurring his horse onward.

Vigor: [roll0]

Felistor
2008-02-28, 12:24 PM
... attempting to catch up to the other riders.

Adding the extra roll for the 6 (apparently I can't edit a post with rolls) [roll0]
(But I can edit it to add results)
Total Vigor roll = 9

ybn1197
2008-03-04, 10:02 AM
((OCC: Was waiting to see if there was any response, but movin' on instead.))

Coming over the trail, Miguel finds the posse preparing to move towards the mouth of the cave. Near the head of the group, and furtherest away, is an aging man. He is lean of build, weathered in appearance and hints of grey streak his dark hair. A tin star adorns the front of his brown jacket. Scattered around him are four others, three men and one women. Two of the men appear to be fresh off the trail, the other a man of the cloth.

Felistor
2008-03-04, 10:43 AM
"Buenos dias" Miguel says as he doffs his sombrero, "am I interrupting something?"

ybn1197
2008-03-06, 11:35 AM
At the sound of conversation, a deranged looking man in a pressed black suit with a dramatically elongated tailed jacket stands from behind a outcropping of rock away from the cave entrance. The wild unkempt hair beneath his black top hat is matched only by the feral look of intensity in his gray-blue eyes. He examines you carefully through dark tinted goggles. A playing card, the Ace of hearts, sits in his hat-band at an awkward angle, and he carries an ornate cane in his right hand.

“Ah! Fellow sophisticates at last!” (He examines the group for a moment)… “or at the very least none of you appear to be the walking dead… In any case, I am the renowned Dr. Thaddeus T. Eliot,” (He removes his top hat and bows, flourishing his hat and cane dramatically before returning to his original position. From the tilted angle of the hat as he bows you can see that it is full of interlocking spinning circles, complex clockwork, copper tubing, and glass bulbs full of green smoke and moving liquids) “but as long as were not at a formal dinner party feel free to call me Eliot. This might seem forward of me to ask, but might I trouble you for the year?” (He quickly references his pocket watch) “I seem to have completely lost track of the time. The summer heat you see.” (Now he speaks more urgently and in not quite so formal a tone) “You wouldn’t happen to be willing to spare a bit of water for a fellow traveler would you? I’ve been stuck out there for several days and I’m beginning to become dreadfully parched.”

technophile
2008-03-06, 05:38 PM
With a muffled curse, Jim spins round to face the odd-looking fellow, while keeping the other newcomer visible in the corner of his eye.

Damn your eyes, James Piltsen, if you don't keep a better lookout than that a six-year-old girl could slit your throat with a rusty spoon at midday. His irritation with himself lends a bit of an edge to his voice.

"What're you doin' hidin' behind that rock, friend? A more suspicious man might think you were considering an ambush."

Beardy
2008-03-06, 09:18 PM
He looks at you for a moment as if you were completely daft... "Considering an ambush? From here? Good heavens no! That would have no style, no flair..." (He puases, pressing his hands together, and then speaks to himself as if he'd entirely forgotten about the parties presence) "Now explosives on the other hand... placed there and over there maybe.... and a sniper... that would have potential."

Suddenly, as if only just noticing that he was speaking out loud, he tries to draw attention away from his last comment by answering the question; "Be not alarmed my friend. As per my previous location, I find that even in this modern age we live in, it's generally much better for ones health to hide from a party of armed strangers than to approach them without first assessing their behavior and disposition. Now, unless I'm completely mistaken, none of you look like the type to come back from the dead and attempt to kill me while I sleep?"

(suddenly a rather concerned look appears on his face) "You don't intend to kill me in my sleep do you? Not without telling me the date... That would be most unkind." (The concerned look disappears as suddenly as it arrived, and he continues speaking as if he'd never asked the question at all) "Gentleman, now that you know may name, it appears you have me at a slight disadvantage. As our new friend, who, many apologies, I so rudely interrupted before he had time to properly introduce himself, had begun to inquire, what seems to be the problem? As a world class inventor I am usually quite adept at helping people find solutions, and I'd be more than willing to render aide, if only one of you would be so kind as to lend me something to drink. I wasn't making idle banter when indicated my thirst earlier, and my tendency towards speaking beyond the point of necessity has only exacerbated the issue..."

ybn1197
2008-03-12, 01:54 PM
The sheriff looks a bit miffed at the ramblings of one of the newcomers. "Pipe down professor," he says in an irritated voice. "We got ourselves a group of sidewinders holed up in here, and unless you're fixing on drawing their fire, I suggest you get yourself behind some cover." He then swings his attention to Miguel. "As for you, you know how to handle those smoke wagons or are they just for show?"

Felistor
2008-03-12, 09:46 PM
He then swings his attention to Miguel. "As for you, you know how to handle those smoke wagons or are they just for show?"

Miguel Arteaga
"If you are referring to mis pistolas, then yes." He then turns his attention to Fr. Guiteau. "Padre, could you say a blessing upon my weapons before we enter?"

technophile
2008-03-13, 10:56 AM
Jim stares nonplussed at the very odd man with the bizarre top hat for a moment.

This place sure seems to attract odd people, he muses to himself. His tactical instincts aren't half bad, though.

With one hand still on his rifle, he pulls his canteen from his saddlebags and tosses it to the man. At the same time, he hears Miguel ask the Father for a blessing and glances over at Jake.

"So much for sneakin' up on 'em, I guess. We're making enough noise out here to warn off every outlaw in three counties," he mutters to the other man.

Beardy
2008-03-14, 04:05 PM
With one hand still on his rifle, he pulls his canteen from his saddlebags and tosses it to the man. At the same time, he hears Miguel ask the Father for a blessing and glances over at Jake.

Noting your scorn at his previous noise level he replies in a conspiratorial whisper, "Ah you are a gentleman and a scholar!" and proceeds to greedily drain away a significant portion of your water reserves. Nodding gratefully and continuing in his dramatic whisper he says "I'd be more than happy to compensate you for your aide with hard currency or perhaps a few rounds on me when we return to civilization, but as we appear to be in a bit of a spot, I hope you don't mind if I arm myself."

Returning to his original position behind the rocks he proceeds to wheel out a strange vehicle. It is similar in appearance to one of those new fangled European "bicycles" popular in some of the larger cities, except both the wheels are the same size, and there are so many copper tubes and clockwork pieces attached to it that it is almost unrecognizable as such. Propping it up beside the rock outcropping with a kick stand, he then proceeds to draw a rifle form the long black scabbard on the side of the contraption.

Turning away from the contraption his rifle comes fully into view... A heavily modified Sharps big 50. Anyone familiar with Sharps rifles realizes immediately that the barrel is significantly longer than standard counterparts, and the monstrously sized telescope mounted to the top could only be the result of mad science. Pulling a cartridge from his vest pocket he slides it deftly into the rifle, and locks it in place, his smooth precise motions suggesting practice and skill.

"Shall we get this party started?"

technophile
2008-03-18, 07:45 PM
Jim glances at the sheriff inquiringly. "Your show, sheriff, but seein' as they have to know we're here, I'd suggest offering terms. Darn sight easier'n digging weasels out of a hole in the ground."