PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations for finding a local group

Drache64
2019-02-20, 12:23 AM
Hey everyone,

I just moved to Vegas and I'm wondering about playing with a random group of players instead of friends. The new people I'm meeting here already have a very full group and don't seem very interested in adding me to their tight knit Dynamics.

Has anyone gone about this before and do you have any tips for me?

I'm 28 BTW, so this isn't like a highschool thing.

Slipperychicken
2019-02-20, 12:42 AM
I found my own fantastic gaming group/longtime-friends in a university facebook group, so that's a direction to go. Preying on colleges' RPG clubs and such in that way could yield some players. LGS is also an option.

If that other group won't take you in, ask if they have any leads regarding the local gaming scene. That is, which gaming shops are good, whether they met up on a specific platform or an RPG club, if they know other groups around, and so on. It's surprising how small the RPG world can be sometimes.

And while I understand the situation, I also just want to point out the irony of living in Vegas and having a hard time finding people to play dice-based games with.

Spore
2019-02-20, 08:44 AM
I work in sales, and if I may add this in. How you present yourself and your attitude towards gaming, life and the rest makes or breaks how attractive as a friend you are.

The new people I'm meeting here already have a very full group and don't seem very interested in adding me to their tight knit Dynamics.

How you present yourself, first impression, personality and such can immediately make you similarly attractive if not more attractive than other players. It is not a competition by any means, but turning down new friends simply by virtue of "they have enough friends, why would they need me" was what almost stopped me from playing in my second REAL Pathfinder group.

About 3 months later, their seemingly happy group almost broke down because of drama between the DM and one particularly munchkin player. This however allowed me to join, and somewhat stabilize the tension in the group. They are my friends to this day 7 years later.

Has anyone gone about this before and do you have any tips for me?

Most communities have "that ONE game shop" where almost everything happens. Check if they have an Instagram or Facebook page (if you are feeling particularly oldschool you could hang up a flier though I assume most groups are not looking for players but rather DMs.) But what is true in finding jobs is true in finding social circles: Networking opens you doors.

Firest Kathon
2019-02-20, 09:12 AM
I would recommend to go to a local organized play session, such as Pathfinder/Stafinder Society (https://paizo.com/organizedplay/events) or D&D Adventurers League (http://dnd.wizards.com/playevents/organized-play). Even if it is not the system you want to play, it will get you in contact with local players and yield further leads. If no game is posted for your location, you could also organize and run one.

Drache64
2019-02-20, 10:08 AM
Thanks for all the info everyone! I'm going to try some of these.

Lord Torath
2019-02-21, 09:00 AM
You also might try looking for a D&D or Roleplaying Meetup (https://www.meetup.com/) in the area.

Cliff Sedge
2019-03-26, 10:10 PM
I found players by posting a flyer at a LGS.

Started with one guy. We played at the game store. Other people would come spectate, ask questions and ask to join the game.

Just be prepared for most of the people who initially show interest to lose interest quickly. Out of 8-10 people total who either responded to my flyer or asked to join after watching the first couple of us play, only 3 stuck with it for more than a couple sessions. [Particularly bad story below **]

Seriously, if you just find a local hobby shop / game shop that sells D&D books, Magic the Gathering cards and related geeky stuff - you can just casually say out loud, "I am the dungeon master for a D&D campaign . . ." people will be drawn towards you like a magnet.

If you would much rather be a player than a game master, then find a game store that lets people play D&D and look around for the tell-tale dungeon masters screen and piles of rulebooks.