PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Wanting to play support class which is the best choice.

FoxWolFrostFire
2019-02-20, 10:08 AM
I'm aware that Lore Bard might be the best choice over all because of the MASSIVE amount of choices they have.

But I've been looking at Life or Forge cleric.

I've also been drawn to Dream and Shepard Druid

But the choice I think is a upfront winner that might even best Lore Bard; is Divine Soul Sorcerer. Having ways to make make the already good cleric supports spells kind of crazy. My only real problem with this is lacking both Magic Weapon and Elemental weapon. Which in the low magic setting could be life savers for the party if faced with a strong non magic DR

So I'm thinking straight Lore Bard. Forge Cleric. Life Cleric/Shepard Druid, or Divine Soul Sorcerer with MAYBE some dips towards Lore Bard.

We are going to be starting mostly gearless trapped in a goblin cave at level 3 with one free feat to select. So thoughts, and please feel free to share thoughts on which of these ideas are best in general not just for the game I'm in.

LuccMa
2019-02-20, 10:31 AM
If your party has 2 members on which haste would be king, take up enough sorc to twin spell that. Otherwise i would honestly stick to a wizard, Diviner or Abjurer. Support as in Healing doesn't even compare to good crowd control, buffs and battlefield manipulation.

Jophiel
2019-02-20, 10:32 AM
I'm playing a Divine Soul with a one level Life Cleric dip (I don't know if that's 'worth' it but I do like the benefits and it fit my character concept) and I'm having fun with it but it's really a support class. Due to the limited spell choices and two spell lists to choose from, you're going to decide between supporting (heals/buffs/crowd control) very well or being being sort of scattered. Works great for me because I enjoy the role but maybe try to make a dummy one at level 6 or 7 and see how you like what you see on the character sheet and if that's what you want to grow into.

MaxWilson
2019-02-20, 10:34 AM
I'm aware that Lore Bard might be the best choice over all because of the MASSIVE amount of choices they have.

But the choice I think is a upfront winner that might even best Lore Bard; is Divine Soul Sorcerer. Having ways to make make the already good cleric supports spells kind of crazy. My only real problem with this is lacking both Magic Weapon and Elemental weapon. Which in the low magic setting could be life savers for the party if faced with a strong non magic DR

So I'm thinking straight Lore Bard. Forge Cleric. Life Cleric/Shepard Druid, or Divine Soul Sorcerer with MAYBE some dips towards Lore Bard.

We are going to be starting mostly gearless trapped in a goblin cave at level 3 with one free feat to select. So thoughts, and please feel free to share thoughts on which of these ideas are best in general not just for the game I'm in.

Divine Soul 1/Shepherd 8 is pretty fantastic. (A swarm of Boggles squirting sticky oil all over the place is surprisingly good.) But you could also just go straight Divine Soul like you wanted to and cast Holy Weapon from off the cleric list when you need to make someone's weapon magic.

NaughtyTiger
2019-02-20, 10:40 AM
Healing is inefficient. you can deal more damage than you can heal...
plus it sucks to spend your slots on heals.

how do you define support?
debuff the enemy
buff allies
control the battlefield

lore is going to have the flexibilty.

divine soul suffers from very limited spell selection (cuz to get the good cleric spells, you miss the fun sorc spells), but they are fun and healing doesn't have to burn slots

if you play cleric, consider a +1toHit /+1AC is a small bump compared to other options. (i prefer nature cleric for defense and flexibitly)

i am biased towards druids, cuz they can do everything

Naanomi
2019-02-20, 10:41 AM
Depends on what you specifically want with ‘support’; but I like Celestial Pact Warlock/Pact of the Tome
-Healing
-Temp HP engine
-Support spells on the short-rest
-Face
-All ritual casting
-Decent resourseless Combat with Combat control options

FoxWolFrostFire
2019-02-20, 10:49 AM
Healing is inefficient. you can deal more damage than you can heal...
plus it sucks to spend your slots on heals.

how do you define support?
debuff the enemy
buff allies
control the battlefield

lore is going to have the flexibilty.

divine soul suffers from very limited spell selection (cuz to get the good cleric spells, you miss the fun sorc spells), but they are fun and healing doesn't have to burn slots

if you play cleric, consider a +1toHit /+1AC is a small bump compared to other options. (i prefer nature cleric for defense and flexibitly)

i am biased towards druids, cuz they can do everything

Going to reply to yours because you've asked alot of questions I can't believe I forgot to state

I define Support as some one who can mainly buff, then heal, Then Debuff, then Control the battle field. I'm aware preventing damage is ALWAYS better than healing damage. Also yes druids are sexy gods. (I prefer fighter or Barbarian myself. But each the world, I'm just trying to spread my wings from big guy with sword and wanted to support )

Man_Over_Game
2019-02-20, 10:56 AM
Going to reply to yours because you've asked alot of questions I can't believe I forgot to state

I define Support as some one who can mainly buff, then heal, Then Debuff, then Control the battle field. I'm aware preventing damage is ALWAYS better than healing damage. Also yes druids are sexy gods. (I prefer fighter or Barbarian myself. But each the world, I'm just trying to spread my wings from big guy with sword and wanted to support )

With that definition, Sorcerer definitely would be the recommended Support style with Divine Soul. Glamour/Lore Bard also fits well, focusing more on damage mitigation than buffing. Cleric and Druid have some of the best healing and long-term combat options, and can even take a hit pretty well, so they're better if your team could use a stronger front line.

If you want a support that can stand on the front lines, look at Ravnica's Order Cleric. Has all the tankiness and combat prowess of a melee Cleric, with abilities that focus on buffing allies. Kinda like a War Cleric that provides attacks for his friends rather than himself. Rather than playing an entirely new playstyle of a squishy full caster, ease yourself into it by using what you already know you enjoy.

jaappleton
2019-02-20, 10:58 AM
Divine Soul Sorc with Twin Spell would be amazing. HOWEVER, your spells known is exceptionally limited, and can be very difficult to deal with.

If you don't want to screw around with that, I would advocate for Lore Bard. They're exceptionally versatile, and having Cutting Words can save lives.

RogueJK
2019-02-20, 10:59 AM
A Life Cleric 1/Lore Bard X is an excellent support character. Wear Heavy Armor and use a Shield, but don't bother with a weapon. Focus your stats on CHA first, WIS second, and CON third. Half-Elf is a great choice for race, for +2 CHA and +1 WIS and CON, plus a couple extra skill proficiencies.

Rather than attacking directly yourself, in combat you'll use spells to buff, debuff, control, and heal, while sometimes handing out Inspiration to allies and using Cutting Words against enemies. When you're not casting a spell or doing some other specific action, use your action to impose Disadvantage on an enemy with the Vicious Mockery cantrip or give an ally Advantage with the Help action.

Outside of combat, you'll be a great Skill Monkey and Party Face.

Use Magical Secrets to pick up control/buff/debuff/heal spells that the Bard doesn't usually get.

FoxWolFrostFire
2019-02-20, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the advice Man_over_game. That is why I was a bit Woooowed by Forge Cleric. A lot of buff choices baked into the kit for the mission at hand, and isn't that far from my normal role. I would look more into Order Cleric but, my DM is super lazy and doesn't want to put in the effort of getting or even borrowing my copy of the book to look it over. I was thinking if the party sticks with it's 80% front liners we got set up I would go lore bard. And nab things like healing spirit and Elemental weapon at 6. But if the fighter/Paladin/OR Sword Bard tags off of front line I might tag in a Forge cleric.

NaughtyTiger
2019-02-20, 11:14 AM
Rather than playing an entirely new playstyle of a squishy full caster, ease yourself into it by using what you already know you enjoy.

i like this statement.

Man_Over_Game
2019-02-20, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the advice Man_over_game. That is why I was a bit Woooowed by Forge Cleric. A lot of buff choices baked into the kit for the mission at hand, and isn't that far from my normal role. I would look more into Order Cleric but, my DM is super lazy and doesn't want to put in the effort of getting or even borrowing my copy of the book to look it over. I was thinking if the party sticks with it's 80% front liners we got set up I would go lore bard. And nab things like healing spirit and Elemental weapon at 6. But if the fighter/Paladin/OR Sword Bard tags off of front line I might tag in a Forge cleric.

For a group of mostly front liners, really consider grabbing the Glamour Bard. The massive amount of movement is extremely helpful for a melee line to get into a good position or break past an enemy line, and the Temporary Hitpoints are likely not to be wasted since you have a number of characters who all plan on taking damage. There is a great deal of synergy with the Glamour Bard and a team of melee combatants.

For a brief breakdown for each support:

Bard
Lore: Best with a small party that lacks magic, defense, or out-of-combat utility
Glamour: Best with a team that uses a lot of melee combat that needs a face.
Whispers: Team lacks a face and damage.
Swords: Team needs more melee and damage.
Valor: Team needs more melee and healing/defense.

Druid
Shephards: Has a large team
Land: Team lacks magic.
Dreams: The Support needs to be extremely versatile and fit many roles.
Moon Druid: The team strongly lacks a melee tank

Cleric
Life: The team lacks healing and melee defense
Grave: The team lacks healing and is mobile
Order: The team needs a front line and deals lots of attack damage
Forge: The team strongly lacks defense and out-of-combat utility. More simple than Nature.
Knowledge: The team strongly lacks out-of-combat utility
Nature: The team lacks defense and out-of-combat utility. More complex than Forge.
Light: The team lacks a strong melee line and damage.
Trickery: The team relies on mobility and stealth.
Arcana: The team lacks damage and out-of-combat utility

Sorcerer
Divine Soul: The team has a strong melee line that can protect the Sorcerer and benefit from his buffs.

Wizard
Abjuration: The team lacks defense and magic.
Divination: The team strongly lacks out-of-combat utility.

Warlock
Celestial: The team lacks damage and healing and has a strong front line.

Jophiel
2019-02-20, 11:19 AM
Glamour bards are great support and the temp hitpoints is a big help in the early game. I have one of those as well. Did I mention that I enjoy the support role? :smallwink:

GeistInMachine
2019-02-20, 12:41 PM
I would highly reccomend a Divine Soul buff sorc

I have been playing one up to level 18 for a year now, and its pretty fantastic at team support.

As a buff sorc, boosting Cha isn't that important, so I went for a Mountain Dwarf build for half plate, which also frees up a spell you would normally reserve for mage armor

Besides that, I use Twin Haste and Twin Polymorph often as buff spells. I took Warcaster to near guarantee keeping conc, and took Dwarven Fortitude for the con bump and hp recovery., which combos well with quicken spell

The real power though is in the buff stacking
I took extend spell, so i can extend high level Aids and Death Ward to 16 hours, meaning i can buff the entire party the night before any encounter during my watch (with some sorcery point juggling), then sleep and recover all the resources when i wake up.
I've taken Inspiring leader for even more buffing as well.

stoutstien
2019-02-20, 02:34 PM
Depending on party composition 1-2order cleric/ x glamor bard is a support monster.
Rogues regularly getting two sneak attacks or a barbarian getting an extra attack a round means you can boss your party around and they like it.
The only problem is you got lots of ways to make allies use a reaction but I like options.

ImproperJustice
2019-02-20, 02:46 PM
I am fond of the Forge Cleric for good defense, utility, emergency heals, offense, and some neat out of combat construction options.

noob
2019-02-20, 03:15 PM
Who thinks bards are a support class?
When there is a bard in a party the bard then proceeds to be more awesome than all the other characters thus making those more or less be supporting characters or secondary characters or just extras watching the bard's awesomeness.

stoutstien
2019-02-20, 03:24 PM
Who thinks bards are a support class?
When there is a bard in a party the bard then proceeds to be awesome than all the other characters thus making them more or less be supporting characters or secondary characters or just extras.
Bards can be support not must be. And they are really good at it. I say tided with sorcerers with twin spell

Bardic inspiration
Great skills plus expertise
Cherry pick spells
Vicious mockery
Some colleges have even better support options. Lore or glamour.

ccjmk
2019-02-20, 03:34 PM
Someone mentioned it already, but I feel like a Celestial Warlock could definitely do the trick.

The heal is superb, you can learn Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast as a great damage output for not being just a healbot, invocations can give you great flexibility and some cool utilities (Deception+Persuation proficiency for being the party face, at-will Detect Magic, Devil's Sight, swim speed & waterbreathing), you can learn Rituals with Pact of the Tome, and you have some *pretty powerful* magic, highly available due to short rests.

noob
2019-02-20, 03:51 PM
Bards can be support not must be. And they are really good at it. I say tided with sorcerers with twin spell

Bardic inspiration
Great skills plus expertise
Cherry pick spells
Vicious mockery
Some colleges have even better support options. Lore or glamour.
what I said with my post is that the rest of the party is support cast when there is a bard around
Oh sorry I found my sentence was broken.
I will fix it.

Fryy
2019-02-20, 04:05 PM
Divine Soul is a lot of fun. You can be a great Face character especially with Subtle (Enhance Ability charisma checks, and Suggestion).

Spell selection is so limited, though. My only heal spell until Heal is Healing Word. Still, my spells are ~90% clerical. Building it out in advance as Jophial mentioned is a great idea.

A one level dip into Hexblade or Cleric is really helpful for the armor; It makes using Spiritual Guardians feasible. Youll also want War Caster feat at 8 or 12 in order to use a staff and shield and still have your reactions.

Subtle Counterspell is also hugely satisfying.

Sception
2019-02-20, 06:21 PM
Support isnt just heals, but also buffs, debuffs, crowd control, & battlefield effects. Lore bard is great at most of these, but so is any bard. Valor bard can be played as basically a lore bard with better inspiration and better ac - which means fewer spell slots burned on personal defense and thus more to spend on major support spells. Yeah, fewer non-bard spells known than a lore bard, but the bard list isnt so bad as to hurt for it.

Wizard in general, particularly abjurer, diviner, and, in the right campaign (morally grey) and level range (5 to 10ish) necromancer. Not so much for healing, but great at the other support pillars. Wizards are particularly good out-of-combat utility casters, which is always nice to have access to.

Paladins may not have many spells per day, but between bless as a strong early party buff, lay on hands for some out of combat healing, magic weapon to bypass dr, and the level 6 aura, they can make for a strong mix of tanking and support. With divine smite they can also pour on the damage in a pinch, though spending slots for damage does eat into their supporting resources. Ancients and conquest are particularly good oaths for support oriented paladins thanks to their auras. If you want to play support, but your party is also missing a tank, consider one of these.

Beyond that, cleric and druid are obviously strong support classes, though if you play a cleric the spell list can be a bit underwhelming sometimes, so don't get too distracted by subclass features. Be sure to pick a domain that also has good domain spells.

thrdeye
2019-02-20, 10:29 PM
A Life Cleric 1/Lore Bard X is an excellent support character. Wear Heavy Armor and use a Shield, but don't bother with a weapon. Focus your stats on CHA first, WIS second, and CON third. Half-Elf is a great choice for race, for +2 CHA and +1 WIS and CON, plus a couple extra skill proficiencies.

Am playing this with a heal/control focus, the Cleric dip is incredible here. Guidance is awesome and you can take Toll the Dead for a much needed damage boost. You get Bless and Cure Wounds automatically, giving you another support option and freeing up a Bard spell selection. You also get a solid list of level 1 spells to prepare from each day. Guiding Bolt, Healing Word, Detect Magic, Sanctuary, and Shield of Faith are all good choices. You keep your spell slot progression although the spells are delayed by a level. I took Healing Spirit as a Magical Secret and it's been very useful even without cheesing it outside combat. We are, of course, also cheesing it outside combat which makes it even better but talk to your DM first.

Man_Over_Game, the omission may have been intentional but War and Tempest Clerics can function perfectly fine in a support role. Especially Tempest, with its weather based control effects.

GreyBlack
2019-02-21, 04:56 PM
Here's the real question. What type of support do you want to do?

Do you want to make yourself and your allies more effective in combat? Then Cleric is your guy.

Do you want to create additional targets for the enemy and control the battlefield? Druid, mah man.

Do you want to debuff the enemy and still be effective in combat? Bard's the...yard?

All three of these characters can do similar things; they all _have_ buff spells, they all _have_ Battlefield control, etc. However, I've generally found these to be the rough specialties of the different classes, with each subclass providing a different flavor (e.g. all clerics can cast Bless, but only Light Clerics can cast Faerie Fire).

Mandarin
2019-02-22, 02:18 AM
For support I would go with shepherd druid and never look back.

Wild shape for near infinite utility/scouting/hiding/laughs.

Summon giant owls as a halfling druid and ride one around like frodo fleeing mount doom, not to mention do more damage per round than almost everyone else while your at it... and you can still cast!

Summon forest fey, 8 pixies.. and suddenly your fighter is a T rex while you hide behind a tree/stump/anything/anyone as a halfling.... people say you can do more damage than heal... okay do 132 damage in a round and lets talk.... but remember you have 8 pixies... so they can turn your party into giant owls too... or all t rexs... hell the possibilities are endless and hilarious to watch the dms face.

Speaking of healing, put your unicorn down and then cast healing spirit... suddenly you are the worlds greatest healer... teach your melee line to rotate into it on their turn for even more healing fun... almost impossible to actually die unless the BBG is one shotting peeps and doubling their hitpoints.

Take warcaster so you dont lose concentration often, or just turn into a spider and ride on your wizard familiars back while your summons do your dirty work... Ghostwise halflings can telepathiclly issue orders in wildshape.

Between wildshape, pixies/polymorph, summons, heals, utility... literally shepherd druids can make most encounters trivial if played well and recognizing your weaknsses... (Losing concentration, AOE on your summons so keep em spread very far apart)

I typically don't do a lot of this until we are up against a wall, and just throw out some life saving healing/goodberries when on easier encounters... but when that dragon lands... suddenly he is up against 2 t rexes and invisible pixies spread out invisible up in the sky ready to come down and put someone back into polymorph while I am flying/hiding/whatever to avoid that breath weapon and make a concentration check...

Citan
2019-02-22, 06:30 AM

Hi!

Hmm, if we are talking about "MASSIVE amount of choice", then Lore Bard is actually not well placed (at least until level 13/14).
Per order of "best" to "lest".

1. Druid: no strings, no risk: you get by far the most versatility, with spells of all kinds that you can change at-will every day. Plus Wild Shape which is worth several dozen spells in itself. Plus Circle benefits (Land, Moon and Shepherd are all powerhouses in their respective areas).

2. Wizard IF you have a very nice DM otherwise Cleric.
- Wizard, with DM's complicity, is only limited by the resources you invest in copying spells. Without DM's complicity it's so-so. You can choose among the largest spell list, which is great, and you have some of the best spells overall, which is great too. But it's still a "learn per level" system.
- Cleric however is like Druid, having prepared spells among the whole list. Plus bonus spells from Domain, with several being versatile in essence (Tempest, Nature, Trickery). Plus Channel Divinitys, some being very good (Knowledge, Tempest, Trickery, Grave). Plus solid defense for a caster thanks to armors.

3. Tome Warlock with DM/players complicity, otherwise Bard.
- Tome Warlock can get ALL rituals. Add to that 5 cantrips early (class+pact), scalable spells that replenish on a short rest (so can be in some situation sustained all day) and you are a powerhouse of support and buffing. Remove easy access to rituals, and it's "just a great support" but much more focused on a few things.
- Bard, meanwhile, gets Jack of All Trades, Bardic Inspiration from the start which are always great support tools (especially for Lore and Glamour). And Magic Secrets do allow grabbing some of the best support spells of all classes, plus Simulacrum and Wish towards the end. You also have enough interesting spells to support party fairly well, but those are oriented and require some tactical awareness. :)

4. Wizard (without help from DM): because of the spell list and ritual casting.

5. Warlock and Sorcerers: much narrower scope of options, but can be very efficient in the few areas you build them towards.

So, when you know nothing about DM or party...

1. Druid is the best choice if you don't mind the attached fluff and want the maximum options (if only, Wild Shape, Healing Spirit, Goodberry, Pass Without Trace, Conjure Animals, Enhance Ability make it the best for the two first tiers of play).
2. Cleric (with suggested Domain) is the second best choice if you don't mind the attached fluff (stronger than for Druid imo) because it's very balanced in all areas (can be played as a regular caster with better defense, as a gish in frontline with Spirit Guardians, etc).
3. Bard is the best choice otherwise because its support capabilities don't rely solely on spells and the lack of specific fluff mean you can just tack whatever background/alignement/concept on it (you have *no* obligation to play a musician as a reminder ^^).

Citan
2019-02-22, 08:16 AM
Hmm...

For a "melee heavy" party I'd say you have the following options, depending on exact party composition and number.

1. 4-man party max
-> Hexblade Tome Warlock: upcast Invisibility every short rest: at level 9 you can make whole party travel invisible nearly all day. In fight, you rely on Booming Blade and Repelling/Grasping Eldricht Blast depending on needs.
Outside fights, you can also help greatly with some rituals and utility cantrips.

-> Divine Soul Sorcerer: Extend buffs like upcast Aid, Twin buffs like Haste on the two allies taking the most heat usually.
OR, if your DM follows RAW, pick Careful and become the best helper friends could hope for by unleashing powerful AOE debuffs without risks for them.

-> Forge or Tempest Cleric: spells like Wall of Fire or Fog Cloud will help crowd control, you can otherwise keep close enough to friends to use Healing Words as needed and help them with Spirit Guardians when needed.

-> Trickery Cleric: be a Cleric, get some of the best spells (including party-wide stealth with pass Without Trace), a very creative ability that facilitates distractions, runaways or simply heals while keeping yourself safe. Solid as a pure class, can be mixed with a bit of Monk, Druid or Ranger if you want more offensive options.

-> Evoker Wizard: because death is the best debuff. "Useless" if your friends have very high Evasion or resilience, indispensable otherwise if you want to blast.

-> Shepherd Druid: this one may be actually a bit more difficult to use properly as far as control goes, since many of its spells rely on creating difficult terrain: Rogue won't mind too much, Monk neither, nor Ranger past some level... But Barb and Fighter may frown upon you if you make it more difficult for them to reach enemies. On the bright side, spells like Earth Tremor are small enough to be manageable, and Plant Growth is "friendly".
Moreover, you can buff whole party in different ways. You could even use Conjure Animals to facilitate adventuring... And fight (not only as added allies, but also as mounts)!

-> Glamour Bard: can buff everyone's movement with a single Bardic Inspiration, can use Command as a bonus action in toughest fight. Plus is a Bard.

5+ party

-> choose class depending on the kind of buff you'd like to apply the most: Stealth & Heal (any Druid or Trickery Cleric)? Protection (Valor Bard with Circle of Power)? Mass-control (Divine Soul Sorcerer with Careful)? Adventuring powerhouse (Tome Warlock or Wizard for rituals and high-level great spells, Druid with Ritual Caster: Wizard)?

Azgeroth
2019-02-22, 08:45 AM
Here's the real question. What type of support do you want to do?

Do you want to make yourself and your allies more effective in combat? Then Cleric is your guy.

Do you want to create additional targets for the enemy and control the battlefield? Druid, mah man.

Do you want to debuff the enemy and still be effective in combat? Bard's the...yard?

no no, play Bard, its not Hard.

Shuruke
2019-02-22, 08:48 AM
You might wanna try Divine soul 6
Redemption or Oath of ancient palladin 14

Having lay on hands for healing and the level 6 divine sorc feature for when u need to drop a mass cure wound during a short rest.

Distance spare dying could be useful and you wouldn't be completely pulled away from melee allowing u to ease into it

GreyBlack
2019-02-22, 02:38 PM
no no, play Bard, its not Hard.

You can tell I'm not a bard player.

More a fighter guy. XD

noob
2019-02-22, 03:03 PM

More a fighter guy. XD

Bard does fighting and also does awesomeness and does win.

GorogIrongut
2019-02-22, 03:57 PM

More a fighter guy. XD

Some people like playing a bard. Some people don't. It's obvious you don't. So don't.

If I had to give you advice, I would say that for YOU, you want to play either:
A Forge Cleric

or

A Divine Soul Sorceror w/ a 1 level dip into hexblade

Both have enough oomph where they're not afraid of being in melee (obviously the cleric is more comfortable here but both can hang). But they also can be quite capable as a support class. The ability to cast Bless, by itself, makes you as good of a support character as a bard can be. Throw in all of the other abilities a Forge Cleric has... and you're golden.

As for the Divine Soul Sorceror, that 1 level of hexblade loosens the restrictive spells known that Sorceror's suffer from. It also makes you more capable of surviving melee. Combine that with Face, healing and many potential support spells available to a sorceror (they exist, you just have to tailor your spell choices carefully) as well as metamagic... and you're equally as golden here.

Now, I should stop there. But in the back of my head, I know what I would play if I were you in this situation. I forewarn you, this shows my own personal bias'. I'd go 2-3 levels in Celestial Warlock and put all the rest into a Shadow Sorceror.

But like I said, do what you want to do. It's your character and you know what you will enjoy most.

p.s. Arcane Trickster is also an excellent character for a good support character who can still mix it up in combat.

Pipquake
2019-02-22, 11:32 PM
Life Cleric
Best Healer

Grave Cleric
Insane Recovery

Celestial Warlock
Recovery, Self-Survivability

Dreams Druid
Recovery, Ambush Protection

A brief crash course on the idea of Recovery. How fast can you get someone up from 0 in combat to full and how much of your turn does doing that cost, this is why healing word is a very powerful spell. It's not used to heal more fully like prayer of healing or cure wounds but instead to get your bud at 0 to at least 1 and still take your turn.

GreyBlack
2019-02-23, 07:00 AM
Some people like playing a bard. Some people don't. It's obvious you don't. So don't.

Just putting it out there; I was more responding to the fact that I couldn't come up with a clever quip about the Bard like I did for Cleric and Druid.

That's off topic though.