PDA

View Full Version : Build Help and Idea

Hunterx
2019-02-20, 10:21 AM
So the other day I was watching Now You See Me and one of the characters on there started me thinking of how to make them into a character for 3.5

The character in question was Jack Wilder, now if you have never seen the movie you will not know who I am talking about and that is ok but you should see the move as it is really very good.

Now Jack is an expert pickpocket, but he has a unique skill in the ability to throw cards kinda like Gambit but without the explosions. Plus he has so miner illusions that he can use which are more sleight of hand than anything else.

I really do think this could be a fun build to play but not totally sure how to go about getting there.

Human is a must as Jack is human, and maybe even Human Paragon as he is the pretty boy of the movie.

I was thinking something like something to do with Drunken Master, and master thrower, but these are both feats intensive
The drunken master for the improvised weapons, and master thrower for throwing cards.

Really just not sure how to get there was thinking something like
Fighter 2 Monk 2 Beguiler 2 Thrower 5 Drunken Master 5 or something along those lines.

Would like some help on this one.

tstewt1921
2019-02-20, 10:56 AM
So the other day I was watching Now You See Me and one of the characters on there started me thinking of how to make them into a character for 3.5

The character in question was Jack Wilder, now if you have never seen the movie you will not know who I am talking about and that is ok but you should see the move as it is really very good.

Now Jack is an expert pickpocket, but he has a unique skill in the ability to throw cards kinda like Gambit but without the explosions. Plus he has so miner illusions that he can use which are more sleight of hand than anything else.

I really do think this could be a fun build to play but not totally sure how to go about getting there.

Human is a must as Jack is human, and maybe even Human Paragon as he is the pretty boy of the movie.

I was thinking something like something to do with Drunken Master, and master thrower, but these are both feats intensive
The drunken master for the improvised weapons, and master thrower for throwing cards.

Really just not sure how to get there was thinking something like
Fighter 2 Monk 2 Beguiler 2 Thrower 5 Drunken Master 5 or something along those lines.

Would like some help on this one.

Maybe something along the lines of Rogue & Wizard combo going to arcane trickster and master thrower would work as well. As far as the exact levels. I just know those classes may get you what you want.

liquidformat
2019-02-20, 11:35 AM
So first decision is whether you want to go magic heavy or light with this build.

From a mundane build view:
- For the magic tricks you could honestly just pump slight of hand and use that to perform traditional slight of hand magic tricks.
- You could also take Magical Training (Players Guide to Faerun) which allows you to choose three level 0 spells to cast as a wizard or sorcerer. I would go with Prestidigitation, dancing lights, ghost sounds, or maybe mage hand, all three have nice flair for what you are trying to do. Also possibly sorcerer if you want to play up a focus on cha.
- Whether you are going mundane or magic you should focus the build around rogue and rogue like classes.
- I would suggest Rogue 4/Fighter 2/Master Thrower5/Bloodstorm Blade (look at the Disruptive Attack PHB2 ACF for rogue). Alternatively adding in swordsage or warblade levels could be good too.

From Magical:
- rogue/wizard(or beguiler)/unseen seer is always a powerful build though rather ignores the card throwing aspect.
- human paragon is nice if you want to make sure slight of hand is always a class skill but beyond that not particularly good.

- The biggest struggle will be the card half of this build, I would talk to your dm to see what you can do here, maybe re-fluff Shurikens as playing cards?

- Also profession gambler is very flavorful. I vaguely remember something about a gambler prc somewhere maybe 3.0 but can't remember...