PDA

View Full Version : Iaijutsu Focus: Hustle+Acrobatic Backstab

ChudoJogurt
2019-02-20, 03:31 PM
This question has doubtlessly been answered before, but shamefully I have not been able to find a defibitive answer.

Am I correct in understanding that a character with aHustle Power, Acrobatic Backstab skill trick and Iaijutsu Focus skill could do a iaijutsu-enhanced attack every round?

Gain a move with Hustle, Tumble to make opponent flat-footed, then make an attack and sheathe the weapon with the regular move action.

Is this investment worth it?

tyckspoon
2019-02-20, 03:40 PM
Gain a move with Hustle, Tumble to make opponent flat-footed, then make an attack and sheathe the weapon with the regular move action.

Is this investment worth it?

It's stylish, but not especially worthwhile; most skill tricks can only be used once per encounter, you only get the benefit on a single attack, and the bonus damage for it isn't even that high (unless you're willing to take levels in the one Iajutsu-focused prestige class, which eventually lets you add your Cha mod per die of bonus damage.) Most of the time you'll be better served using the bonus move from Hustle to just move into place to make a normal Full Attack instead.

Edit: Iajutsu Focus bonus is roughly analogous to Sneak Attack bonus damage, so the question can be roughly framed as 'How much effort is it worth to get one Sneak Attack per turn?' The answer, generally speaking, is 'not very much'. If you can only get a single attack, it's ok, but if your trick would let you get one attack + iajutsu/sneak bonus OR a Full Attack, you're probably going to be better off with the Full Attack.

truemane
2019-02-20, 03:45 PM
Acrobatic Backstab is a Skill Trick, if I'm not mistaken, and those can only be used once per encounter.

However, see also:
-Surprising Riposte
-Flick of the Wrist
-Mercurial Strike
-That one Feat from ToB that I can never remember the name of
-Three or four different Feats that work if you're Small (or at least if your opponent is one size larger).
-The other Skill Tricks Hidden Blade and Sudden Draw
-The Grease spell (or marbles)
-The Distract Assailant spell
-A couple of other corner cases

And if you take EWP: Gnomish Quickrazor you don't even need Hustle.

"Worth it" is a subjective judgement, of course. In the right game, at the right table, I've made a couple of Factotums who specialize in this sort of thing, stacking with Sneak Attack, and had a blast doing it.

Clear any IF shenanigans with your DM first, as some get testy on this topic.