View Full Version : Feat that allows going over the CL limit on spells.

reddir
2019-02-20, 06:48 PM
This is a basic question, sorry for wasting your time.

I remember reading about a feat which raised the CL (Caster Level) of a spell by, I think, +3. It also allowed going over the normal CL limit for the spell.

Can someone tell me the name?

I am trying to remember but my mind keeps defaulting to Feats of Strength (Seinfeld; Castanza family Festivus) :pu

UseAmorality
2019-02-20, 06:55 PM
Reserves of Strength allows for up to +3 over the CL limit.

AmeVulpes
2019-02-20, 06:56 PM
I found something in Complete Arcane

The damage cap for your spells increases by 10 dice for spells that deal a number of dice of damage equal to your caster level (such as fireball)[...]

It's called Enhance Spell. It is an Epic feat, however.

Thurbane
2019-02-20, 07:43 PM

That sounds like that the OP is looking for: Dragonlance Campaign Setting, p.86.

The campaign setting is also official 3.5 material, which is nice.

reddir
2019-02-20, 07:46 PM

That sounds like that the OP is looking for: Dragonlance Campaign Setting, p.86.

The campaign setting is also official 3.5 material, which is nice.

Thank you both!

That is the feat I had heard about.

reddir
2019-02-20, 07:48 PM
I found something in Complete Arcane

It's called Enhance Spell. It is an Epic feat, however.

That is a very tastey feat. Too bad it is Epic - I’ve never seriously looked at what that level of play might be like.

Caudex Capite
2019-02-20, 11:43 PM
It's worth noting that there's some controversy over whether RAW Reserves of Strength removes the cap entirely when you use it or only breaks it by up to the amount you boost your CL with it. It's extraordinarily powerful with the former interpretation (one of the most broken feats in the game, honestly), and no slouch even with the latter.

martixy
2019-02-21, 12:16 AM
It's worth noting that there's some controversy over whether RAW Reserves of Strength removes the cap entirely when you use it or only breaks it by up to the amount you boost your CL with it. It's extraordinarily powerful with the former interpretation (one of the most broken feats in the game, honestly), and no slouch even with the latter.

I'ma argue for the former, just because the latter is boring and unfun.

inuyasha
2019-02-21, 12:47 AM
There is also a Metamagic Feat in Pathfinder that allows increasing the damage-dice cap by 5 if you increase the spell level by 1.

reddir
2019-02-21, 07:51 AM

The relevant line seems to be: “You can exceed the normal level-fixed limits of a spell with this feat,”.

I can see how it might be interpreted either way. Either “a spell with this feat” being the thing affected, or the effects of the feat being affected.

Seina
2019-02-23, 06:04 PM
Pathfinder has intensify spell which works for damage spells.

reddir
2019-02-23, 07:12 PM
Pathfinder has intensify spell which works for damage spells.

I just now looked up that feat. I loved the flavor and concept of it... until I saw that it raised the Spell Slot level by +2...

This could have been such a good idea at just costing a feat. It seems unnecessary and prohibitive to add on that +2 :(

Yael
2019-02-23, 07:24 PM
Well, PF got involved, so why not 3rd party as well? In Warcraft RPG's Magic & Mayhem p33, there's a feat called Trascendent spell, which breaks any caster level cap for the modified spell. It's +7 levels, though.

MeimuHakurei
2019-02-23, 07:38 PM
I just now looked up that feat. I loved the flavor and concept of it... until I saw that it raised the Spell Slot level by +2...

This could have been such a good idea at just costing a feat. It seems unnecessary and prohibitive to add on that +2 :(

It's +1 and not +2. The average Magus uses it along with Magical Lineage (Shocking Grasp) to build the backbone of their melee damage.

reddir
2019-02-23, 10:20 PM
It's +1 and not +2. The average Magus uses it along with Magical Lineage (Shocking Grasp) to build the backbone of their melee damage.

Huh. I don’t know why I read it as +2 the first time.

I guess if you have a particular way to use it every time then it makes sense.

I still like the idea of a caster being able to adjust the range/effect balance of spells on the fly - wieghing trade-offs and trying to balance timing/safety/effect. I admit that I don’t know if costing a feat is enough to balance that flexibility, or what would balance it. Just seems like a cool tactical situation to play with.

reddir
2019-02-23, 10:25 PM
Well, PF got involved, so why not 3rd party as well? In Warcraft RPG's Magic & Mayhem p33, there's a feat called Trascendent spell, which breaks any caster level cap for the modified spell. It's +7 levels, though.

The Pathfinder feat Intensify Spell is also 3rd party.

Trancendent Spell is the first time I am seeing a +7 metamagic.

EDIT — https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/3rd-party-feats/4-winds-fantasy-gaming/meta/intensify-spell-metamagic/

reddir
2019-02-23, 10:29 PM

Wait, no. It is +1 CL, but uses a spell slot 2 higher.

EDIT — +1 CL/range reduction.

Eldaran
2019-02-24, 12:10 AM
The Pathfinder feat Intensify Spell is also 3rd party.

Trancendent Spell is the first time I am seeing a +7 metamagic.

EDIT — https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/3rd-party-feats/4-winds-fantasy-gaming/meta/intensify-spell-metamagic/

You're looking at the wrong feat, you want Intensified Spell (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/intensified-spell-metamagic/).

reddir
2019-02-24, 12:51 AM
You're looking at the wrong feat, you want Intensified Spell (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/intensified-spell-metamagic/).

Ah cool. Nice feat, seems like a good one, and no need to take a stun or damage to use it.

Also, this one is by Paizo, not 3rd party.