PDA

View Full Version : Animal companion getting an Int boost

AmeVulpes
2019-02-20, 10:06 PM
The question is simple, but seems to be open to interpretation. Animals whose Int scores rise above 2 become magical beasts (or at least stop being animals). Say we cast Fox's Cunning on an animal companion. Does it stop being an animal companion for the duration? If not, what about using Wish to boost one up to 3 permanently?

Can this be used offensively, such as to separate an Animal Companion from its druid?

Maat Mons
2019-02-20, 10:17 PM
This is exactly why they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Because and old dog has Int 4, is now a magical beast, and no longer is a valid target for the Handle Animal skill.

AmeVulpes
2019-02-20, 10:20 PM
This is exactly why they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Because and old dog has Int 4, is now a magical beast, and no longer is a valid target for the Handle Animal skill.

Cute, but specifically wrong.

Train magical beast [time taken] 2 months [DC] 40 + HD of magical beast

I don't know how to table.

Torpin
2019-02-20, 10:23 PM
get an ioun stone of +2 intellect for cheaper

Yogibear41
2019-02-20, 11:10 PM
Increasing an animal's Int does not magically change its type. Most of the time its implied that you cannot choose Int for a Stat increase every 4 levels for animals.
Nothing stopping you giving your Animal companion an Enh bonus item of +int so that it is better able to interpret orders and follow your commands better though.

AmeVulpes
2019-02-20, 11:13 PM
Increasing an animal's Int does not magically change its type. Most of the time its implied that you cannot choose Int for a Stat increase every 4 levels for animals.
Nothing stopping you giving your Animal companion an Enh bonus item of +int so that it is better able to interpret orders and follow your commands better though.

Intelligence score of 1 or 2 (no creature with an Intelligence score of 3 or higher can be an animal).
It would seem that it stops them from being Animal type.
I would say that this counts only permanent effects personally, but that is the nature of this question.
But what about Inherent bonuses (à la Wish)?

HouseRules
2019-02-20, 11:18 PM
You must force a change of type to remove the 2 cap on intelligence.

AmeVulpes
2019-02-20, 11:22 PM
You must force a change of type to remove the 2 cap on intelligence.
Interesting reading. Any citation?

Also, I assume you mean for the purpose of permanent effects, as there is an item (Horseshoes of Flame, Savage Species p. 57) that increases an "ordinary horse"s Intelligence by 10 for up to 21 hours a day (7 hours per charge, 3/day). Granted, an animal companion is definitely not an ordinary horse, but* this provides precedent for increasing an animal's Int waaaay above 2.

*I meant to say that my druid's companion isn't, as he has been trained into a Warbeast. The struck line does not represent the views or opinions of Amevulpes.

Torpin
2019-02-21, 08:24 AM
lets look at this logically, an animals int is 1 or 2 by using magic to magically raise its intelligence, wouldnt that make the animal magical, and therefore a magical beast?

AmeVulpes
2019-02-21, 04:23 PM
lets look at this logically, an animals int is 1 or 2 by using magic to magically raise its intelligence, wouldnt that make the animal magical, and therefore a magical beast?

Hey, don't bring logic into this. /s

Good interpretation. So, does temporarily becoming a magical beast rip the animalcreature out of the druid's bondage?

Hackulator
2019-02-21, 04:53 PM
Hey, don't bring logic into this. /s

Good interpretation. So, does temporarily becoming a magical beast rip the animalcreature out of the druid's bondage?

No, unless you can find somewhere that specifically says it does. Once a creature is your animal companion, there is no mechanic that says you automatically lose it if it changes types. Look at the Awaken spell, which specifically calls out that the creature can no longer be an animal companion. Without that specific call out, you cannot deprive someone of their class ability just because it seems to make sense. If becoming another type meant you lost your companion, it would also mean anytime you shared spell polymorph or shapechange with your animal companion you would lose control of it because it's type changes.

AmeVulpes
2019-02-21, 04:55 PM
Thanks, Hackulator, that satisfies my curiosities and concerns on this one. Good ruling.

/thread