PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Sculptor and Eldritch Glaive

skunk3
2019-02-21, 12:50 AM
Here's a question... if I had the epic feat "Eldritch Sculptor" would it enable me to basically make two full attacks per round with Eldritch Glaive? Also, would my effective reach double?

Troacctid
2019-02-21, 01:10 AM
Yes and no, respectively.

skunk3
2019-02-21, 01:28 AM
Care to explain either of those points? Personally, I can't find anything in the text that would seem to justify being able to full attack twice per round with the glaive... yet on the other hand I think it makes perfect sense that the range of your glaive is doubled because that is precisely what it says in the text for the feat. The range for basically any use of EB is doubled aside from Hideous Blow, which specifically is a melee attack. Since Eldritch Glaive is a melee touch attack, who is to say that with Eldritch Sculptor that your glaive reach doesn't increase?

Troacctid
2019-02-21, 02:20 AM
1. You aren't full attacking twice, you're full attacking once. That full attack consists of two castings of eldritch glaive. Casting eldritch glaive is a full-round action but it is not a full attack. Even if it were a full attack, you could still do it, because Eldritch Sculptor says you can.
2. Eldritch glaive can have whatever range you want, but it still has you attack as though you were wielding a reach weapon, and your reach with reach weapons is independent of the range of the SLA that created the weapon.

skunk3
2019-02-21, 03:07 AM
As far as getting two 'full attacks' with the glaive, I agree with that part. I just wanted someone else to confirm my hunch. However, I do think that the feat should also increase one's reach. I don't understand your interpretation of the rules here, especially the bit: "... it still has you attack as though you were wielding a reach weapon, and your reach with reach weapons is independent of the range of the SLA that created the weapon."

My point is that this weaponlike 'reach weapon' is entirely magical energy in nature and the its form and reach is a part of the SLA itself, and the feat explicitly doubles the effective range of Eldritch shapes. "The area and range of all your eldritch blasts is doubled." If it doubles the ranges of the spear, cone, chain, doom, etc... why would it not double the reach of the glaive?

Troacctid
2019-02-21, 03:12 AM
It's no different from hideous blow in this regard.

skunk3
2019-02-21, 03:17 AM
Why not? Hideous Blow requires a melee attack with a weapon, whether that's natural or manufactured. The Eldritch Glaive is a weaponlike manifestation of your Eldritch Blast. It is understandable that Eldritch Sculptor wouldn't increase the reach of your Hideous Blow beyond that of the reach of the weapon that you're using. Eldritch Glaive is a totally different story. I gotta disagree on this.

DarkSoul
2019-02-21, 12:11 PM
The effect of Eldritch Glaive has neither an area nor a range to be doubled. It has reach, which varies by the size of the weilder more than anything. It's a subtle but, in a RAW discussion, significant difference.

Necroticplague
2019-02-21, 12:53 PM
Care to explain either of those points? Personally, I can't find anything in the text that would seem to justify being able to full attack twice per round with the glaive...It's not two full-attacks, it's using your Eldritch Blast twice. It's no different from if you use Quicken SLA to get two usses of Eldritch Glaive into a round.

yet on the other hand I think it makes perfect sense that the range of your glaive is doubled because that is precisely what it says in the text for the feat.It doesn't say that. It says it increases areas and range. Reach is neither.

The range for basically any use of EB is doubled aside from Hideous Blow, which specifically is a melee attack. Since Eldritch Glaive is a melee touch attack, who is to say that with Eldritch Sculptor that your glaive reach doesn't increase?

Eldritch Glaive is also a melee attack, just like Hideous Blow. That it's a melee touch attack doesn't stop it from being a melee attack*.

Also 'who is to say it doesn't....' is never valid logic within the context of rules discussions as allowing for something. By default, nothing does or has anything unless something says it does. The rules also don't say humans don't have insta-death eye beams, but I've yet to see anyone argue for that on that basis.

*=albiet, one with some unusual properties, due to how it works, but not relevant to the conversation yet.

Hackulator
2019-02-21, 02:42 PM
I would probably say yes, you can make 2 full attacks. From a descriptive perspective, Eldritch Glaive does not require 2 hands so the visual would basically just be duel wielding 2 long lightsabers. RAW it's a little sketchy as the way Eldritch Glaive is written it could be argued the power just creates the glaive as a free action, and THEN you take a full round action to attack, however I think that's probably mostly an issue of unclear writing.

As for the range increase, no dice. Eldritch Glaive doesn't have range or area, it has reach, Eldritch Sculptor only affects range and area. These are defined terms in D&D and not interchangeable.