PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Character idea: Tabaxi Swashbuckler Rogue/Gunslinger Fighter

ThinksThoughts
2019-02-21, 06:32 AM
Hi guys, so I'm starting a new campaign, and I've designed my PC to be a Tabaxi Swashbuckler/Gunslinger cross-class. I'm mostly just here for thoughts from fellow players on how I want to split it up, and feat ideas and such. We rolled stats, and it's going to be a relatively high power campaign. Starting level 1, but it could go to level 15 or higher (I've played with this group before, we tend to stick to campaigns for awhile.). For role play reasons I'm starting as a rogue, and our DM is giving everyone one cool item to start, mine is a pistol(using the Matt Mercer rules for gunslinger and such) I won't be proficient for a long time, but relevant information nonetheless. Starting stats are as follows:
Str 12
Dex 20
Con 16
Int 12
Wis 15
Cha 16
I'm planning on taking the deadeye trick shot for at will sneak attacks, but still haven't decided how many levels of each, or any feats, etc. I'm leaning towards Rogue 15/ Fighter 5, with all the fighter levels being right after Rogue 3
Tips/thoughts anyone?

Man_Over_Game
2019-02-21, 12:53 PM
The main problem that I see is that the Swashbuckler provides rogues the means of making melee attacks effective. That's it (besides the few Charisma-based abilities).

Utilizing pistols as a primary form of fighting directly interferes with that. It's about the equivalent of saying that a Sorcerer wants to pick up a level of Barbarian just in case. But that's what things like Shield, Thunderwave, and Absorb Elements are for.

Rather, I'd consider the Inquisitive or the Thief. Being able to have "quickdraw" levels of speed with your hands while scaling a mountain, shooting down on people is really thematic. The Inquisitive allows ranged attackers to gain sneak attacks without the help of allies, which is a great feat for someone who's primarily using ranged attacks. Since you use Dexterity, you'll never truly be useless in a melee fight, so it's not like you'll be a terrible melee combatant.

If you want to go this route of a charismatic sword and pistol user, I'd actually recommend going Swords Bard rather than Fighter or Rogue. The Flourishes do not require a melee weapon, only a one-handed weapon, and work just fine as long as you don't have a penalty to attack when enemies are adjacent to you.

There is also some merit in going into the Scout Rogue for the additional mobility. Mechanically, I'd never recommend Swashbuckler for anyone who's not planning to always be using a melee attack. The benefits are almost identical to the Mobile feat.

ThinksThoughts
2019-02-21, 03:55 PM
I can understand that, but the goal really is not to be primarily using guns, just using them more for the deadeye trick shot occasionally as a means of landing ranged sneak attacks when melee isn't an option, that's the main reason for gunslinger. The fighter dip is more for the extra attack, durability, action surge, and all that juicy stuff. The plan is to be in melee about 80% of the time. I just decided I liked the idea of adding in the gunslinger class because I felt there wasn't a lot to gain from the other fighter subclasses, and that gives me an entire second form of combat off one feature, and I like the pirate-y flavor it gives. I figure I'm only getting a level 3 feature, and none of the other subclasses offer anything that much better(aside from maybe battlemaster, but doesn't really fit the thematic I'm going for)