PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a character based on a B5 character

fraker
2019-02-21, 09:20 AM
I have no idea if this is in the right spot to be posting this, but this is sort of based on my request a while back for help on finding a niche for my witchguard ranger.

So I built that witchguard based on what I saw out of Marcus Cole, the ranger from the tv series babylon 5. I would like to use that tv character idea for a different campaign, so if starting from scratch, how would you go about making a character mechanically like marcus

Friv
2019-02-21, 11:34 AM
Well, for a start I would need a system to work with.

fraker
2019-02-21, 02:00 PM
Sorry about that. Mind slipped. Pathfinder 1e is what i am currently working with.

Friv
2019-02-21, 05:28 PM
So, you'll probably get better results in the 3.5 etc forum, which has a lot of Pathfinder veterans. My instinct, however, is that Marcus Cole is best modelled with mostly levels of Unchained Rogue (Guerilla Archetype) and a dash of Swashbuckler (Daring Infiltrator Archetype) for extra combat skill. He relies heavily on his Dexterity and Charisma, with no real weak scores but not exceptional ones either.

LibraryOgre
2019-02-21, 06:06 PM
The Mod Wonder: Moved to correct forum.

Kol Korran
2019-02-22, 06:06 AM
Hmmm... Well, Marcus IS a ranger, but the term means something different in Babylon 5. More than that, Marcus is the main rrepresentative of the organization in the series. We mostly define what a B5 ranger IS, by looking at Marcus. (At least to start with). So what is the B5 ranger?

More than a wilderness explorer, the B5 ranger feels more like a secret operative. Their link to the Minbari's religious sect, and it's spirituality gives them a more distinct feel than most "regular" fantasy rangers. Lastly, the organization exists in a specific context, namely it's mission to gather info and oppose the threat of The Shadows.

So, a secret agent with a spiritual/ religious theme, who's mission is to seek, explore and fight hidden evil...

I'd go with the inquisitor as a class, possibly with one of yhe following archetypes: Faith Hunter, infiltrator or sanctified slayer.

Another possibility is the monk. (B5 ranger training sure looks like monk training). I'm far less knowledgable about monks (rarley used any) to help there.

Bronk
2019-02-22, 07:35 AM
I agree with Marcus being a monk. He's from a religious fighting order that specializes in quarterstaff combat, after all. Just add in some cross class ranks in piloting and maybe diplomacy, and you've got him pegged.

Tron Troll
2019-02-22, 07:04 PM
A monk with a staff.

Maybe: Monk2/Fighter2/Monk2/Fighter 2/X 1
Human Power Attack
1st Pharoah's Fist
M1 Stunning Fist
M2 Combat Reflexes
3rd Pain Touch
F1 Weapon Focus (Quarterstaff)
F2 Forceful Staff Style
6th Imperious Command
F4 Imp Bull Rush
9th Snap Kick

fraker
2019-02-24, 03:44 PM
with how often I hear people saying monk, I can see it since he usually doesn't rely on armor and he mainly unarmed strikes or fights with quarterstaff, though any particular monk? I've also heard from others that brawler is also an idea. and if the inquisitor, I could see the infiltrator or faith hunter