PDA

View Full Version : Fighter Feat or Stat Improvement Help

Lokrom
2019-02-21, 01:16 PM
Hey everyone!

So I have a dilemma and I am looking for some advice. I'm still rather new to DnD and my party I are about to hit level 4. I play a Goliath Fighter. The rest of my party consists of a Half Elf Druid, Dragonborn Sorcerer, Arokocra Paladin, Halfling Rogue, and Wood Elf Ranger.

We rolled for stats when creating our characters and roll for hp per level. I currently play a Battlemaster Fighter and I'm unsure if I should be taking my first feat or skill points when I level up this week.

I am currently playing more of a damage dealer using a 2H Maul and the "Great Weapon Fighting" trait but I end up being more of a off-tank-like character along with the Paladin in our group. Using the Battlemaster architype, I have chosen "Trip, Riposite, and Parry" at this time and have enjoyed the mechanics.

My stats are as follows.

Str 20
Dex 14
Const 17
Int 10
Wis 13
Car 13

Health Points 33 - These hit points are as of level 3 and have not been increased yet to level 4 stats.
AC 16 (chain mail armor) - working towards some better armor at the moment.

Do you suggest I take my points or take a feat. If I take the points, where would you suggest I put them. If I take a feat, which one would you suggest.

I'm leaning towards Sentinel or Tough at the moment but I truly don't know.

Thanks!

RogueJK
2019-02-21, 01:28 PM
If you want to do more damage, get the Great Weapon Master feat.

If you want to be a more effective tank, go +1 CON and +1 WIS.

J-H
2019-02-21, 01:32 PM
The nice thing about 5e is that either option will serve you well, and it's your choice. There's not a clear "always optimized choice" unless your DM is running a very specific set of enemies (all high AC or all low AC).

nickl_2000
2019-02-21, 01:40 PM
Sentinel, GWM, Resilient Wisdom, +1 Wis and +1 Con, martial adept for more maneuvers, mage slayer, heavy armor mastery, mobile, ritual caster Wizard all are good choices.

I would actually consider Martial Adept in your case, because it gives you more chances to do what you are good at.

Keravath
2019-02-21, 01:43 PM
You could also consider swapping to using polearms and taking the polearm master feat.

You could use a glaive, pike, halberd, quarterstaff or spear. The first three give a reach of 10' while the other two can be used one handed with a shield. The feat gives you the option for an additional bonus action attack with the back end of the weapon (d4) if you use the attack action and you also get an opportunity attack when an opponent enters your reach (this combines well with Sentinel too).

Other feats that are probably worth considering ..
- great weapon master (-5 to hit, +10 damage ... bonus action extra attack on crit or killed opponent) ... I find the -5/+10 quite situational and you need to figure out a good rule of thumb on when it is worth using and when it isn't.
- resilient wisdom (you will want proficiency in wisdom saves at higher levels and since your wisdom is an odd number this is a good choice)
- Sentinel (at some point)

You will eventually want to bump your constitution up to 18 or 20 but at your level it probably isn't a priority .. you are just above average hit points at level 3. Other than that, you could consider a multiclass for a couple of levels at some point for some additional versatility considering how good the stats are.

Man_Over_Game
2019-02-21, 02:28 PM
It's pretty hard to tell what your team needs and what's going to benefit you the most, but here's a brief rundown of how you should consider each feat:

Sentinel: Enemies are ignoring me to attack other people.
Tough: Enemies are consistently focusing on me.
Polearm Master: I need to deal more damage, and my team is pretty spread out. Also, I don't use my Bonus Action often.
Great Weapon Master: I have access to a lot of accuracy improving abilities from myself or allies (like Feinting Attack), or my team lacks a lot of Area of Effect abilities. Also, I need to focus more on offense than defense.
Resilience (Wisdom): My DM likes to use enemies that have illusions or enchantment effects
Ability Score: I want to be able to do skills better while improving my combat prowess slightly.
Shield Master: I have a number of allies who can use melee attacks. Also, I don't use my Bonus Action often. Also, I need to focus more on defense than offense.

djreynolds
2019-02-21, 04:03 PM
You have a 20 strength, before level 6.

I would splurge on myself.

Take the lucky feat now. Why? Cause now you will have 16 levels of 3 times day of re-rolling d20s.

For re-rolling saves, skills, crits vs you, and misses.

Resilient wisdom can wait til 8th level.

Also, I like magic initiate. You have nothing to concentrate on. Even the simple cantrip like resistance could be valuable to someone with saving throw needs.

GWM has 2 perks, a lot lower levels killing an orc is fairly easy with 1 swing, goblins are even easier. Now you have a free BA attack.

Also, martial adept for battlemaster is fantastic. It's now 5 SD a short rest, pretty valuable.

So 4th level.... lucky. Take it, your lucky to already have a 20 strength

6th level GWM, why at 6th level, because you need precision to really make this work

8th resilient wisdom, fear sucks

12th martial adept, magic initiate, PAM, sentinel

CTurbo
2019-02-21, 07:11 PM
20 Str and a Maul? Take Great Weapon Master all the way

Sentinel is also very good
Res(Wis) is necessary, but I wouldn't take it just yet.
Lucky is always good
Ritual Caster is GREAT for Fighters but I wouldn't take it until a little later.

As mentioned above, Polearm Master is a great idea of you want to trade your Maul in for a Glaive/Halberd