PDA

View Full Version : Eberon Wildshapes (underdark?)

Aaedimus
2019-02-21, 02:42 PM
I had a druid who wildshapes into mostly underdark and dark forest wildshapes but never got to play much with him. Striders, Giant Spiders, Snakes etc. I've been thinking about playing that druid in a new eberon campaign, but am worried about the "creatures you have seen" caviatte. After all, we're in a giant city.

What shapes would usually be available to me, what might I have available that I wouldn't usually, and what would definitely be a nogo? I know the normal answer is "whatever makes sense for your background" but, I don't know where I could come from in Eberon and what would be available. I'd really like to keep my strider form.

Griswold
2019-02-21, 02:54 PM
It partially depends on what forms you want. Keep in mind that the rule "if it exists in D&D it exists in Eberron" means that any creature should be available somewhere in the world. But as far as unambiguous places to have a character background:

A Talenta Plains halfling would be familiar with all dinosaurs. Clawfoot Raptor isn't half bad.
If you're a drow, you can be from Xen'drik and be familiar with most creatures that live in the jungle, plus giant scorpions.
The Eldeen Reaches (which can support any race) would be familiar with all woodland creatures.
A human breeder from House Vadalis could conceivably be familiar with anything. They deal with all sorts of creatures, from normal to highly magical.
The underdark isn't really a place to live in Eberron (there's Khyber but it's generally horrible and full of monstrosities). A dwarf from the Mror Holds might have access to "normal" underdark animals.

P.S. Isn't a Strider a monstrosity, not a beast? Or am I checking the wrong book?

nickl_2000
2019-02-21, 02:55 PM
P.S. Isn't a Strider a monstrosity, not a beast? Or am I checking the wrong book?

Yes it is, I'm guessing it was supposed to be a Steeder not a Strider.

Daithi
2019-02-21, 04:14 PM
Based on the size of Sharn, I be they had/have a zoo. That might be some kind of option you could discuss with the DM.

Aaedimus
2019-02-21, 04:40 PM
Yes it is, I'm guessing it was supposed to be a Steeder not a Strider.

Yeah, I meant steeler lol (which is a beast in some books and not in others, so that's a DM dependent wildshape. The leap is awesome though)