PDA

View Full Version : Inspiring Leader and other feats - best roleplay fun?

Stygofthedump
2019-02-21, 03:31 PM
We play that the character needs to give a speech (usually a cool quote from famous historical figure) and if the other party members do not like it, or did not pay attention, we rule that they do not get the temp hit points. This is policed by the players and not the DM.
This encourages the party to listen to the short speech and 'hurrah' at the end - leading to some cool roleplaying.

Are there any other cool feats or abilities that can have 'table rules' applied like this to encourage roleplaying?

stoutstien
2019-02-21, 03:46 PM
It's even better if the character with inspiring leader dumps wisdom and intelligence. Turns it into a "The Tick" monologue.
"My middle name used to be helping people. Frank the"helping people" fighter..never try to swim against the mighty tides of Justice."

Contrast
2019-02-21, 04:21 PM
We play that the character needs to give a speech (usually a cool quote from famous historical figure) and if the other party members do not like it, or did not pay attention, we rule that they do not get the temp hit points. This is policed by the players and not the DM.
This encourages the party to listen to the short speech and 'hurrah' at the end - leading to some cool roleplaying.

You have to be somewhat careful with this sort of thing. That feat is going to ping after every rest - thats likely to be quite a few times per session which would start to get a little repetitive/tedious. I have the feat on a bard and occasionally I'll do an impromptu team meeting/pep talk/strategy session to roleplay it out but if I was expected to do that every single time I'd just ask if I could swap the feat out.

Reminds me of Vicious Mockery - people often expect the bard to have a witty comeback every single turn. I'm just not that witty IRL guys :smallannoyed:

I tend to prefer rewarding Inspiration for good/well timed use rather than punishing for skimping. Carrot rather than stick.

I think there's certainly some feats that if you roleplay into them heavily your DM is going to be much more generous with what they do though. Actor and Healer are often seen as mini-backgrounds, while you could definitely convince me to be more generous with what Lucky can be used for if your character was a dedicated worshipper of Tymora.

CorporateSlave
2019-02-21, 05:05 PM
It's even better if the character with inspiring leader dumps wisdom and intelligence. Turns it into a "The Tick" monologue.
"My middle name used to be helping people. Frank the"helping people" fighter..never try to swim against the mighty tides of Justice."

I...might have to steal this for my next character! :smallwink: