PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next hombrew feat opinions wanted

KittenMagician
2019-02-21, 08:59 PM
first a little background. i have a half-orc barabarian and a hafling rogue (focusing on crossbow fighting) that want to rove the battlefield with the hafling riding the half-orc. provided they aquire the right equipment to do so i will allow them to do what they want. after some time i want them to actually have a reason to want to do this and gain benefit from it. thus i came up with a feat for each of them.

for the Half-orc:

Mobile Battle Platform:
+1 Str or Con
While carrying a creature with a smaller size than yours, if that creature succeeds a dex save to take half damage from a spell or effect, they take no damage instead.
While carrying a creature with a smaller size than yours, that creature gets +2 AC against attacks from creatures within 5ft of you.

For the Hafling

Battle Rider:
While being carried by a creature with a larger size than yours, you get +2 to perception checks and you dont have disadvantage on ranged attacks against creatures within 5 ft of you or the creature carrying you.
While being carried by a creature with a larger size than yours, that creature gets +2 to initiative checks.

daemonaetea
2019-02-21, 09:57 PM
First off I want to state, for the record, that I absolutely love both your players, and you for encouraging them.

For the feats, I'd make some small tweaks to both of them. The first thing that jumps out to me is that both aspects of Mobile Platform help the rider, and Battle Rider has one for the rider, and one for the ridee. I'd probably balance that out so that Mobile Platform also has split benefits, one for the rider and one for the ridee. Just so that the Half-Orc isn't taking a feat solely to help his friend, and gets a benefit directly as well. It makes the pair much more synergistic and fully a "team" feat.

After thinking for a while, how about replacing the AC benefit with:
While carrying a creature with a smaller size than yours, if that creature is attacked by an enemy adjacent to you, you may use your reaction to make an attack against that enemy.

It's still defensive, in that it helps to discourage attacks on the rider, but it lets the half-orc get some smashing in to do it.

For the second feat, I like the design overall. The only thing I don't like is the flat +2 attached to both effects. Basically that screams 3.5 to me. Giving advantage to both would probably be too good, though it also seems like the obvious choice. Maybe proficiency instead? The ridee can add the rider's proficiency to his initiative checks, and the rider either gains proficiency in perception, or expertise if he's already proficient? I'd honestly just be tempted to stick to advantage for the simplicity overall, but depending on the level the Barbarian might already have that. Tough call overall, and at the end of the day I think the numbers you have are absolutely fine, they just "feel" wrong to see in 5E to me, but that's really just a me problem.

KittenMagician
2019-02-22, 06:45 PM
After thinking for a while, how about replacing the AC benefit with:
While carrying a creature with a smaller size than yours, if that creature is attacked by an enemy adjacent to you, you may use your reaction to make an attack against that enemy.

I actually really like this and i will probably switch this around.

For the second feat, I like the design overall. The only thing I don't like is the flat +2 attached to both effects. Basically that screams 3.5 to me. Giving advantage to both would probably be too good, though it also seems like the obvious choice. Maybe proficiency instead? The ridee can add the rider's proficiency to his initiative checks, and the rider either gains proficiency in perception, or expertise if he's already proficient? I'd honestly just be tempted to stick to advantage for the simplicity overall, but depending on the level the Barbarian might already have that. Tough call overall, and at the end of the day I think the numbers you have are absolutely fine, they just "feel" wrong to see in 5E to me, but that's really just a me problem.

the only thing with using proficiency bonus for the checks is really powerful for the initiative of the half-orc. it eventually will lead to a +6 to initiative which is crazy. i agree that a flat +2 doesnt quite feel like 5E. maybe i will do 1/2 proficiency bonus rounded up so it will be 2 or 3 for most of the campaign.

Bjarkmundur
2019-02-22, 07:13 PM
Wait I don't get the flavour. So the rogue wants to be a turret, protected by an angry green dude. I see that. But why does the green dude carry the rogue? What's all this AC and dex and perception and initiative about?

I'm thinking both of them should get the "When your friend gets attacked you can use a reaction to strike back" - clause. That makes it like they are constantly watching each other's back.

Please explain to me the benefits of riding/being ridden, help me visualize it.

KittenMagician
2019-02-22, 07:47 PM
well originally my thought was that the ridee gets bonus initiative as the rider is keeping an eye out. the rider gets bonus to perception because they have a better vantage point. the reduction of damage for the rider is from the idea that the ridee takes the brunt of the damage.

most of this comes from the difference in size between the 2 characters.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/92/63/35/926335b3101f778b04cc92d910e8d6d8.jpg

Bjarkmundur
2019-02-22, 07:51 PM
Check out the rules for "Help".

I'd definetly say the halfling is always giving the green dude advantage on any Dexterity check. Always. Whether it's a save or initiative. Because he's keeping an eye out.

... But, the rider doesn't take the damage.
Vantage point seems like a weird bonus to give.

Thst actually seems fine to me. One gains advantage on dex, and the other one gets psuedo protection by discouraging enemies to attack him.
Clean,powerful, effective and flavorful. It increases defense of both parties, increases damage of both parties, and is very clean to write down and explain.