PDA

View Full Version : Teleporting out of grapple

AmeVulpes
2019-02-22, 04:22 AM
This question has probably been asked a lot here, but I'm bad at search-fu I'd like some clarification on some different teleport-like spells and spell-like abilities.

Can you Dimension Door out of a grapple? The obvious answer seems to be yes, but the way I currently see it, you'd be attempting to take an illegal target with you (the grappler who probably doesn't want to go), so do you go alone, or does the spell fail?

How about Plane Shift, which specifically calls out touched creature, could you just touch yourself, thus by no possible reading targeting the grappler? (I've always seen it understood that you can touch yourself, but does grappling make it harder?)
Kindly ignore that I said "touch yourself," "grappling," and "make it harder," in the same sentence. And right before I mention succubi, too...

In a similar vein to Plane Shift, what about a Succubus's Greater Teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only)? This seems like the most definite means of escape since it probably can't target the grappler. Just want to make sure, since I throw a lot of demons at my grapple-happy party.

King of Nowhere
2019-02-22, 04:57 AM
This question has probably been asked a lot here, but I'm bad at search-fu I'd like some clarification on some different teleport-like spells and spell-like abilities.

Can you Dimension Door out of a grapple? The obvious answer seems to be yes, but the way I currently see it, you'd be attempting to take an illegal target with you (the grappler who probably doesn't want to go), so do you go alone, or does the spell fail?

the spell says that you "may" bring other people with you, not that you have to.
So, you obviously don't want to include the grappler in your teleportation, and you are not bringing him along. You teleport out of the grapple just fine, assuming you can cast while grappled.

Crake
2019-02-22, 12:34 PM
assuming you can cast while grappled.

This part here is the hard part. Casting in a grapple requires a DC20+spell level concentration check, and the spell must not have somatic components. This is fortunate, since many teleportation spells already lack somatic components, but not all of them. SLAs also lack somatic components, but remember, greater teleport is a 7th level spell, so it's DC27 concentration, and a succubus only has +10 concentration, so it would require a 17 on the dice.

This can be alleviated for the succubus by getting the supernatural transformation feat, which changes an innate SLA into an Su ability, which never requires concentration or provokes.

Zancloufer
2019-02-22, 12:51 PM
I am not certain about if it's been called out anywhere in RAW grappling rules (which are a mess anyway) but I would say it could work.

If you did something that moved one person that was involved in a grapple there is no reason (at least by RAI) that the grapple would be maintained as physical contact has been broken.

Ofc finding/using an ability that would move the other party AWAY from you while involved in a grapple would be hard (generally a high DC concentration check for most SLAs/spells).

Crichton
2019-02-22, 09:22 PM
assuming you can cast while grappled.

Would not the beautifully cheap Anklet of Translocation suffice, in this case? It's only 10 feet, but it's a swift action.

Elkad
2019-02-22, 09:29 PM
Benign Transposition is great for this. Swap the grappled wizard for the barbarian or tiger or whatever.
And your Improved Familiar can do it with a wand.

Crichton
2019-02-23, 12:25 AM
Don't forget the incredibly useful for most builds Shadow Cloak, to avoid being grappled in the first place!

St Fan
2019-02-23, 07:30 PM
The Totemist Soulmeld "Blink Shirt" is the best for this. No need for a concentration check since it's equivalent to a supernatural power, and you can do it every round if needed.