PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Level 20 Fighter Multiclass help

Soulismine
2019-02-22, 06:05 AM
To start with an introduction: Half our party is new to DnD. There is a total of 4 of us. 3 of us are new, and 1 of the members is experienced. On our first decided game the DM wanted us to be level 10. Within the first game we all died due to a bag of holding incident. And it became apparent that some of the players needed to start from level 1 (We had a rogue attempting to kick multiple doors down). So deciding to start over some of our group decided they would only show up half the time, because of their not wanting to show up at the lower level sessions. As a giant kick in the butt the DM let the two of us find a Deck of Many Things. Upon picking a card, I was awarded +2 to an Ability score, and a friend was awarded an item. The DM rolled his dice, and let the dice decide the pick. It was then announced to us that we were being handed a "Lucky Blade", with 2 wishes. As he was awarded a weapon his first wish was for me to have 2 weapons of my choosing, which I picked 2 "Defenders". He then wished the DM allow us to put 20 levels into something, but not have it count towards our "Character level". That being said the chosen class was decided Fighter. So all the "Fighter" level options will scale down to our character level, and progress with us. That being said, we don't get the HPs, or ASIs, or any of that added to us to keep it semi balanced. (For the most part just imagine getting the extra attacks, and thats about it)
So upon further speaking with the DM, (Half of us being casters who now have 20 levels in fighter), he decided that we have until next game to "change" our current level 5 characters into any way we see fit, and to be nice he was going to give us the extra ASIs, that the Fighter gets at 6, and 14 now.

With that being said I'm asking for some help on some Fighter "multiclass" builds.

Going to list everything I can pick from level 1 currently, as my DM has some homebrew rules:
Race: Vhuman +1 to 2 Abilities Scores, Skill, Feat
1 extra Feat: DM decided to give us a free Feat at level 1
ASI: Level 6 ASI from Fighter we get access to now
ASI: Level 14 ASI from Fighter we get access to now
+2 Ability Score (My draw from deck of many things)
My starting stat rolls are:
16 / 15 / 14 / 14 / 11 / 10
They can be moved in any way, just have to use those number scores.

Any suggestions?
Currently I was going Sorcadin (Draconic for the no-armor)with a Dex based build as I could get my dex to 20 from the start, and have it roughly the same as full armor. But now with me being 20 levels into fighter for free, it seems kind of crazy to continue such a caster-based type build.
I was thinking of possibly staying Dex, and going 20 Samurai/2 Pal /18 Bard College of Swords? Good way to start maximizing smite damage since I'm going to get roughly 5 attacks a turn? This would also give me a ton of spell slots to use for smiting, the fact that I will be holding 2 Defenders, and being able to Blade Flourish seems crazy!

Anyone have any better suggestions?

Azgeroth
2019-02-22, 06:15 AM
holy sh**....

well, if this really is a thing, i would take champion. because of the HP Regen feature alone. plus an extra fighting style...

seriously, these other 2 players are going to be so incredibly butt hurt by this.. though now 2 of you have 20 levels of fighter, you can probably handle the rest of the campaign with just you 2..

i mean, Extra Attack x 3, Action Surge, Indomitable x2, Second Wind, Fighting Style x 2... are you getting the HD(HP?)

honestly, with all that, it doesn't matter what you do, your already beyond the power level of a typical gestalt campaign, which is high powered anyway... for me, just stay paly, and move that dex to str. get heavy armor, forget sneaking, your a freaking juggernaut.

Soulismine
2019-02-22, 06:22 AM
holy sh**....

well, if this really is a thing, i would take champion. because of the HP Regen feature alone. plus an extra fighting style...

seriously, these other 2 players are going to be so incredibly butt hurt by this.. though now 2 of you have 20 levels of fighter, you can probably handle the rest of the campaign with just you 2..

i mean, Extra Attack x 3, Action Surge, Indomitable x2, Second Wind, Fighting Style x 2... are you getting the HD(HP?)

honestly, with all that, it doesn't matter what you do, your already beyond the power level of a typical gestalt campaign, which is high powered anyway... for me, just stay paly, and move that dex to str. get heavy armor, forget sneaking, your a freaking juggernaut.

No additional HP, but for the most part I was just thinking paladins don't get enough spell slots for the amount of smites I'd be producing. If I was to move to a more caster based class then I'd be able to smite even more. Or do you think just a pure melee build somewhere along the lines is better?
For the most part this is just a for fun thing, we'd be using this build when the others aren't around I'm sure, I don't think he has any intentions of letting us use this when the others are here, it's more of a separate game for when there is just two of us, at least thats how I'm taking it.

CTurbo
2019-02-22, 06:31 AM
Champion 20/Barbarian 20 with Greataxe always comes to mind.

Eldritch Knight 20/Bladesinger 20 would be pretty epic.

Fighter 20/Lore Bard 20 archer that grabs Swift Quiver at level 10

BurgerBeast
2019-02-22, 06:53 AM
I’m sorry, but this is an example of possibly (probably? Almost certainly?) the least responsible DMing of which I’ve ever heard.

I’m honestly not the type to care about how others play the game... but there’s a certain amount of respect and responsibility that I’d hope someone would place in introducing new players to the game.

Starting brand new players at level 10 is a decidedly bad idea.

Introducing a deck of many things to brand new players at level one is a decidedly bad idea.

There’s not a lot of wiggle room, here.

I’m sad and sorry to say that I would advise the players to find a new DM. Even saying this sounds counter to my philosophy, but I also never would have imagined any DM doing either of these things.

KingFerret
2019-02-22, 07:00 AM
This post made me laugh so much.

Reminds me of the first game of dnd I ever played.

Azgeroth
2019-02-22, 07:09 AM
No additional HP, but for the most part I was just thinking paladins don't get enough spell slots for the amount of smites I'd be producing. If I was to move to a more caster based class then I'd be able to smite even more. Or do you think just a pure melee build somewhere along the lines is better?
For the most part this is just a for fun thing, we'd be using this build when the others aren't around I'm sure, I don't think he has any intentions of letting us use this when the others are here, it's more of a separate game for when there is just two of us, at least thats how I'm taking it.

ok well thats good, nothing wrong with high powered campaigns, but if your not getting the HP the DM is going to have a hell of a time balancing encounters.. namely because your DPR is of a lvl 20+ but your HP is of level 5..

back to the build!

honestly, just take what ever class you wanted. i would however stick with a martial class, as you now have Extra Attack x 3, using your action to cast a level 3 spell is a bit of a waste, better sticking paladin, though if your going for the Sorcadin uber smite build, then..

definately Champion fighter, your crit range is now 18-20, thats going to help with the crit fish smiting alot.

take at least 1 or 2 more levels of paladin, you want that aura! after that, bard or sorcerer is gold. personally i would go lore bard, but i tend towards build that are not one trick super DPR ponies, so i can't give super specific advise to that end, but lore bard is going to give you alot of utility.

as i said earlier though, no matter what class you pick, your already a level 20 fighter, which is mighty fine in its own right, ANYTHING ELSE is icing on this decidedly super powered cake.

EDIT : tbh, the best advice i can give you, is to PM PeteNutButter, he is widely considered the authority on Multi-Class builds, this should be right up his alley. also, ignore the naysayers, there is no BADWRONGFUN, if no one is getting hurt, everythings ok :)

Yunru
2019-02-22, 07:29 AM
If you want to be really silly, pair it with an Abjuration Wizard.
And maybe a bit of Bard for Heroism :P

opaopajr
2019-02-22, 07:31 AM
This post made me laugh so much.

Reminds me of the first game of dnd I ever played.

:smallbiggrin: I know, right? Total Monty Haul campaign. Power fantasies sprinkled all over like powdered sugar. :smallamused: All that's missing is the GMPC doing all the work while you watch, so they can "tell you their stories of how awesome they are!"

:smallcool: Levels, levels for everybody! You get a level, and you get a level, and you get a level. Look under your seat, you all get levels! :smalltongue:

Soulismine
2019-02-22, 07:37 AM
I’m sorry, but this is an example of possibly (probably? Almost certainly?) the least responsible DMing of which I’ve ever heard.

I’m honestly not the type to care about how others play the game... but there’s a certain amount of respect and responsibility that I’d hope someone would place in introducing new players to the game.

Introducing a deck of many things to brand new players at level one is a decidedly bad idea.

I’m sad and sorry to say that I would advise the players to find a new DM. Even saying this sounds counter to my philosophy, but I also never would have imagined any DM doing either of these things.
I never said we were level 1, I said The DM is allowing us to rework our character as if we were from a level 1, because of the new found multi-fighter class. This is nearly our 10th or 11th session and we are just about level 5. The fights have been balanced and we’ve learned a lot along the way. We started at level 10 due to players saying they had experience with the game, but not wanting to openly tell the DM that it was years ago, and after the first game the DM realizing they weren’t as experienced as they were saying they were so he decided to start us over.

After 10-11 sessions with 2 of the players combined making it to 8 of the sessions, he’s basically just making an excitedly OP bonus canpaign for just when the two of us show up and the others don’t anymore. The 2 of us that like to play and have shown up to every session really enjoy combat. So the whole point in this little escapade is to make the encounters last longer because that’s the part we enjoy.

So all in all I would say this is most definitely the best DM ever.
The DMs job is to make the players have a fun time and build an exciting world around them. The two of us who show up consistently are in love with the idea and have been strategy building for hours now on what to do.

PeteNutButter
2019-02-22, 10:11 AM
This is ridiculous but there is a right answer, and that is anything with shadow blade.

I'd probably go champion on the fighter side because it's a pretty ridiculous passive bonus on that many attacks, plus the level 18 feature. Caster side should be anything that works well with those ergo anything shadow blade. Abjurer is a good pick if you want some defense. Grab Warcaster. It's unclear on how your saving throw proficiencies work (do you get fighters and your other class?), but you'll want resilient con if you don't have it.

Damage sort of caps out at 13th level with a 7th level shadow blade doing 5d8+5 x4 with a 18-20 crit range. With the easy advantage from shadow blade that's a 27.8% crit chance. Elven Accuracy would make it more ridiculous. I'd pick up GWM, just for the bonus action attack. You'll probably crit at least 2/3rds of the and maybe kill the rest. The feat is basically a free bonus action attack.

In fact with so many crits you definitely want to pick up Paladin 2 somewhere along the way. Smite on crits only.

I should reiterate that this is ridiculous and your character can probably solo anything the monster manual no matter how you build them.

CTurbo
2019-02-22, 11:06 AM
Fighters pair so perfectly with every single class. You could make a case for any of them. Especially Champion or Brute

I already mentioned Barb, Bard, and Wizard above.
Champion 20/War Cleric 20 would be amazing. You'd get 5 attacks 5 times a day, +10 to attack 3 times per rest, and SPIRIT GUARDIANS. Shout out to Forge Cleric for a silly high 23 AC in Plate + Shield.

Champion 20/Moon Druid 20. I'm actually not sure how the extra attacks stack with wildshape, but everything else is still great for Druids.

Brute 20/Monk 20. Deal 2d10+Dex damage with your punches. 6 attacks per turn with Flurry of Blows. Enough said.

Eldritch Knight 20/Stone Sorcerer 20- Look it up! It's awesome! Shout out to Giant Soul too.

Eldritch Knight 20/Warlock Fiend/Blade 20- Imagine the EK with cantrips, invocations, Cha mod to damage, and some Nova spells...

Fighter 20/ Paladin 20 - really too much awesomeness to even list here. All of the Paladins' Capstones combined with the Fighter's is just ridiculous. Conquest gets 5 attacks per round, Ancients gains extra hp and can make 4 attacks + cast a spell each round, Oathbreaker can make 4 attacks and then a spell attack as a bonus action for 3d10+Cha and then there's the smiting crit fishing builds, GWM Devotions adding Cha to attack for 4 attacks, etc...

Fighter 20/ Rogue 20 Literally any combination, ranged, or melee is awesome. Way too many to list.
Fighter 20/ Ranger 20 Same as Rogue. Any combination is awesome.

djreynolds
2019-02-22, 03:36 PM
I would go 20 level Brute fighter/ 20 level open hand monk

Your punches would be AWESOME, 2d10 AFB. Toss in magic initiate for hex. Dangerous

Yes Mr Turbo, 2d10 on 6 punches, awesome

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-02-22, 04:02 PM

Oh come on, let them have fun. There's nothing wrong with DM's running a heroic campaign with tons of magical items early on, just like there's nothing wrong with gritty realism where characters seem to never level up or catch a break. As long as everyone is having fun, the DM is doing his/her job.