PDA

View Full Version : Bear Warrior build

brian c
2007-09-27, 05:27 PM
Now that school is back in session, my D&D campaign from the spring is going to meet again (college, if anyone was confused, but that's besides the point). Anyway, I'm bored with my character so I got the OK from the DM to make a new one. Our party didn't have any particularly good melee (trip-happy dwarf fighter and TWF ranger only) so I'm going to go Barbarian, hopefully into Bear Warrior, if the DM lets me.

What are some suggestions for feats, items etc for me? Starting level is 6. I know the Lion Totem barbarian from CChamp is awesome, but I'd like to have a bear theme going on, and not be too overpowered because then I definitely won't be allowed to PrC.

Is the Bear Totem from CCHamp worth it at level 1?

This is what I have so far, tentatively: (oh, also, I need to be human)

1) Power Attack
1 bonus) Cleave
3) Extra Rage
6) ?

items:
Armor of the Unending Hunt (CWar): immunity to fatigue, exhaustion
Necklace of the Marauding Beast, Bear (Arms & Equip): +2 strength, rages 1 round longer

OverdrivePrime
2007-09-27, 05:48 PM
9) Profit.

The rumor on the street is that anything that gives you Pounce without making you be a catfolk first is pretty dang awesome. I haven't been able to get my hands on Complete Champion yet, what do you give up in exchange for Pounce?

Cogwheel
2007-09-27, 06:08 PM
Fast Movement, IIRC.

brian c
2007-09-27, 06:39 PM
9) Profit.

The rumor on the street is that anything that gives you Pounce without making you be a catfolk first is pretty dang awesome. I haven't been able to get my hands on Complete Champion yet, what do you give up in exchange for Pounce?

Lion Totem barbarian, which I specified that I will not take for this character, replaces Fast Movement with Pounce.

BardicDuelist
2007-09-27, 07:14 PM
Will PA be that useful? You won't be using too many TH-Weapons to gain the full benefit.

brian c
2007-09-27, 07:19 PM
Will PA be that useful? You won't be using too many TH-Weapons to gain the full benefit.

I probably won't be, but it's a pre-req for Bear Warrior. Cleave is definitely expendable though, if anyone suggests something better.

ocato
2007-09-27, 07:55 PM
Leap Attack? Isn't that par for the course? Improved Bull Rush and/or Improved Sunder for Shock Troop and/or combat brute?

Lemur
2007-09-27, 09:13 PM
Just because he's turning into a bear doesn't mean power attack will never be useful. There will likely be situations where using power attack with his natural weapons will be better than not power attacking.

I might suggest Improved Unarmed Strike + Improved Grapple. This will further increase your grappling ability in bear form, if you want to go for a more grabby type of character. Also, you might be able to get away with making a full attack of unarmed strikes in bear form, then also unloading your natural attacks as iterative attacks for a whirling frenzy of bearitude.

Regardless of whether you choose to go that route or not, the Complete Champion totem probably isn't so good for you. While the idea of initating a grapple with any melee attack is interesting, you'll only be able to do it to creatures of small size or smaller (or medium, if you get an Enlarge Person on you) plus you'll get the improved grab ability in bear form in two levels anyway, and you'll be a lot better at it then. Unless you think you'll fight a large amount of small sized creatures, who are also powerful enough to justify grappling and not just bashing through, before you hit level 8, you'll get a lot more utility out of sticking to good ol' fast movement.

brian c
2007-09-27, 09:36 PM
Just because he's turning into a bear doesn't mean power attack will never be useful. There will likely be situations where using power attack with his natural weapons will be better than not power attacking.

I might suggest Improved Unarmed Strike + Improved Grapple. This will further increase your grappling ability in bear form, if you want to go for a more grabby type of character. Also, you might be able to get away with making a full attack of unarmed strikes in bear form, then also unloading your natural attacks as iterative attacks for a whirling frenzy of bearitude.

Regardless of whether you choose to go that route or not, the Complete Champion totem probably isn't so good for you. While the idea of initating a grapple with any melee attack is interesting, you'll only be able to do it to creatures of small size or smaller (or medium, if you get an Enlarge Person on you) plus you'll get the improved grab ability in bear form in two levels anyway, and you'll be a lot better at it then. Unless you think you'll fight a large amount of small sized creatures, who are also powerful enough to justify grappling and not just bashing through, before you hit level 8, you'll get a lot more utility out of sticking to good ol' fast movement.

Hm, thats true about Imp Grab... if only I could get an Enlarge Person permanencied on myself...

Zincorium
2007-09-27, 09:55 PM
I wouldn't really recommend the bear totem, you'll be getting improved grab at a later date, when you actually have worthwhile natural weapons to use it with and can affect more creatures.

Improved grab problems: has to be with a natural weapon (you don't have any), can only be used on creatures one or more size categories smaller (you can grab halflings, I guess), and it works on a successful hit...but it's easier to make the touch attack that you'd get normally. Oh, and if you could grapple things while taking a -20 to the check, you could remain ungrappled yourself. But at level one that's not going to work very well, even spindly wizards will be freeing themselves from your grasp.

Actually being a brown bear will eliminate almost all of those problems.

I would also talk to your DM about letting wild armor or items with wilding clasp work for you in bear form. They're designed for druids, but thematically bear warrior is just a heavily restricted wildshape, it makes logical sense.

You did mention the possibility of things getting disallowed if they're overpowered, so I'm hesitant about recommending the warshaper prestige class, but it is nice.