PDA

View Full Version : I need a system to role play Kinnikuman

Jordi
2019-02-22, 12:19 PM
Hi mi name is Jordi, i am a fan of Kinnikuman manga and anime series. I love rpg too, so i wanna role play Kinnikuman
but i dont find the system that fits right whit it.

¿Can help me a little?

Sorry for my very bad english and orthography.

The Glyphstone
2019-02-22, 01:15 PM
Looking at Google, Kinnikuman is a superhero.

The typical standard game used to play superheroes is Mutants and Masterminds - 3rd Edition is the latest version, IIRC. It lets you build pretty much any kind of superhero, supervillain, or monster. You could have Kinnikuman teaming up with Spiderman and Kamen Rider to fight MechaGodzilla, for example.

There are other superhero RPGs out there, a very large number of them, but Mutants and Masterminds is the most generic one, and probably the easiest one to find other people who want to play it.

Jordi
2019-02-22, 04:55 PM
Looking at Google, Kinnikuman is a superhero.

The typical standard game used to play superheroes is Mutants and Masterminds - 3rd Edition is the latest version, IIRC. It lets you build pretty much any kind of superhero, supervillain, or monster. You could have Kinnikuman teaming up with Spiderman and Kamen Rider to fight MechaGodzilla, for example.

There are other superhero RPGs out there, a very large number of them, but Mutants and Masterminds is the most generic one, and probably the easiest one to find other people who want to play it.

Yes, Kinnikuman is a superhero, but the main appeal of the series is his battles style: Wrestling.

All fights in Kinnikuman are based in wrestling, Mutants and Masterminds can help me to create the character but
¿It help me whit the combat?

The Glyphstone
2019-02-23, 01:07 AM
Yes, Kinnikuman is a superhero, but the main appeal of the series is his battles style: Wrestling.

All fights in Kinnikuman are based in wrestling, Mutants and Masterminds can help me to create the character but

The nice thing about M&M is that it is effect-based rules - you decide the flavor of your attacks and combat actions, the rules are based on what the results are.

Brief example:
You make a character who is meant to be a super-heroic wrestler. He has high Strength and Fighting stats, as high as the game's Power Level allows.

He gets a primary attack, we call it Punch - it's a standard melee-range attack that deals normal Damage for his Power Level. Now we give him several Alternate Attacks that can be used instead of a Punch, and have different effects. One of these inflicts an Affliction instead of Damage, we choose Impaired/Disabled/Asleep and name this move Choke Hold, Sleeper Hold, or something similar - we also give it the Drawback of being Sustained, so it ends if your character does something other than maintain the pin. Maybe we give him another Alternate Attack, one that Moves the opponent a set distance and deals reduced damage, and name it Throw.

That said, M&M won't distinguish between, say, a German Suplex and a Bear Hug since they have the same end result, immobilizing/pinning the enemy. So if you're looking for that specific degree of granularity, M&M is not the right choice.

CoreBrute23
2019-02-23, 06:31 AM

Ah I was a fan of the sequel series, Ultimate Muscle. But I've got the right system for you where everyone is a wrestler: World Wide Wrestling RPG (https://ndpdesign.com/wwwrpg/)

While the game is initially designed with the idea that wrestling is somewhat planned in advance, there's nothing in the rules that stop you from take it super seriously, or having super powered moves. It's a fairly easy system to follow, based on Powered by the Apocalypse rules (PBTA for short).

PBTA rules are basically this: roll 2d6 and add a stat on your character sheet.
If you get 10+ Amazing success
7-9: Success with a condition
6 or less: Fail, something bad happens

GM/DM never rolls, only players roll.

If you are looking for a wrestling focused system, you can't get better than this.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-02-23, 08:12 PM

M&M, for all its strengths, does have a fairly vanilla d20 combat system-- if you don't ham up the descriptions, it ultimately boils down to "I attack, I attack, I attack." If you're looking for something with a really crunchy, tactical one-on-one, I'd actually suggest Exalted 3e-- the combat is intricate and flashy; it's been compared to a Street Fighter style video game, in some ways. (As a bonus, all your moves get cool names)

Pauly
2019-02-24, 12:54 AM
If you want a system that has a method for varying the types of attacks and defenses according to individual skills and abilities then Honor and Intrigue has a good system.

That system is designed for sword fights, but you can change it for wrestling styles with some imagination. The Sorceror of Volupa supplement has a section for wrestlers in it.

It’s not a quick easy solution. I have run Honor and Intrigue games for some time and it is a fairly light system to run for role playing, but it has scope for really sweeping back and forth movie/manga style combat. You can have different schools of wrestling with different strengths and weaknesses. Some relying on strength, others on agilty and others on confusing the enemy. So it seems to me to give you the framework you are looking for, but it will require a bit of work on your part to do an adaption.