PDA

View Full Version : Rebalancing the Tunnel Fighter from UA: Underdark [PEACH]

Dragodar
2019-02-22, 03:16 PM
Unearthed Arcana: "Light, Dark, Underdark!" or "Underdark Characters" contains a Fighting Style called Tunnel Fighter which reads as follows:

=

You excel at defending narrow passages, doorways, and other tight spaces.
As a bonus action, you can enter a defensive stance that lasts until the start of your next turn.
While in your defensive stance, you can make opportunity attacks without using your reaction, and you can use your reaction to make a melee attack against a creature that moves more than 5 feet while within your reach.
=

RaW, this fighting style allows a character to gain a potentially infinite number of Opportunity Attacks so long as enemy creatures continue to provoke them. This becomes particularly problematic when combined with the Polearm Master feat:

=

You can keep your enemies at bay with reach weapons. You gain the following benefits:
-When you take the Attack action and attack with only a glaive, halberd, or quarterstaff, you can use a bonus action to make a melee attack with the opposite end of the weapon.
The weapon's damage die for this attack is a d4, and the attack deals bludgeoning damage. This attack uses the same ability modifier as the primary attack.
-While you are wielding a glaive, halberd, pike, or quarterstaff, other creatures provoke an opportunity attack from you when they enter the reach you have with that weapon.
=

So given the fact that Polearm Master allows the character to make Opportunity Attacks both when enemies enter AND leave their reach, the character could hypothetically stand next to a congo line of enemies and get TWO Opportunity Attacks against EACH enemy, with no limit on how many attacks can be made per turn. Thus when fighting any large number of melee opponents, the Tunnel Fighter with Polearm Master gets an essentially infinite number of attacks per turn.

Of course, the GM should create encounters that stymie this tactic, whether by using ranged enemies or enemies that are intelligent enough to keep their distance. However, the mere possibility of an infinite number of attacks per turn bothers me, because it is entirely unrealistic.

Therefore I developed the following changes to the Tunnel Fighter fighting style. My intentions included: (1) limiting the number of Opportunity Attacks you can get in one turn to something realistic that also scales with level, and (2) limit the number of Opportunity Attacks you can make against any given foe in one round. Thus we have the revised edition:

=

You excel at defending narrow passages, doorways, and other tight spaces. As a bonus action, you can enter a defensive stance that lasts until the start of your next turn.

While in your defensive stance, you can make a number of opportunity attacks up to but not exceeding [your DEX modifier + your Proficiency bonus] without using your Reaction, and you can use your Reaction to make a melee attack against a creature that moves more than 5 feet while within your reach. When taking the free Opportunity Attacks granted by your defensive stance, you may only make one Opportunity Attack per foe per round.

If, after making all the free Opportunity Attacks granted by your defensive stance, you have still not used your Reaction to make a melee attack against a creature that has moved more than 5 feet within your reach, you may use your Reaction to make one final Opportunity Attack, as per the normal rules. This Opportunity Attack that uses your Reaction is a standard Opportunity Attack and does not count as being granted by your defensive stance, thus it can be used against a foe you have already made an Opportunity Attack against in the same round.
=

Thoughts, criticisms, suggestions?

Bjarkmundur
2019-02-22, 07:34 PM
Haven't played around with the tunnel fighter, but limiting the number of opportunity attacks with any arbitrary number seems like a very clean solution. Doesn't matter if it's Dex or Proficiency bonus, heck it could even be half your level. What matters is that it's clean and effective.

You can probably rease that whole last paragraph and just say "You can only target a creature once with a free Opportunity Attack per round"

Five stars, all the way.

These (https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/72261/do-the-tunnel-fighter-ua-fighting-style-and-the-polearm-master-feat-combine-to-g) guys are saying that two feats and a fighting style for a very specific scenario makes it OK to be super useful. I mean, if you invest two feats and a fighting style into ANYTHING, you bet your ass you're gonna be good at it. It's not like the scenario is actually gonna come up (unless your DM does it intentionally just to jerk you off).

I personally would love to see this happen, just a single dude slaughtering five hundred giant rats in 6 seconds. Reminds me of the Peasant Rail Gun scenario xD

Dragodar
2019-02-22, 10:37 PM
Haven't played around with the tunnel fighter, but limiting the number of opportunity attacks with any arbitrary number seems like a very clean solution. Doesn't matter if it's Dex or Proficiency bonus, heck it could even be half your level. What matters is that it's clean and effective.

You can probably rease that whole last paragraph and just say "You can only target a creature once with a free Opportunity Attack per round"

Five stars, all the way.

These (https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/72261/do-the-tunnel-fighter-ua-fighting-style-and-the-polearm-master-feat-combine-to-g) guys are saying that two feats and a fighting style for a very specific scenario makes it OK to be super useful. I mean, if you invest two feats and a fighting style into ANYTHING, you bet your ass you're gonna be good at it. It's not like the scenario is actually gonna come up (unless your DM does it intentionally just to jerk you off).

I personally would love to see this happen, just a single dude slaughtering five hundred giant rats in 6 seconds. Reminds me of the Peasant Rail Gun scenario xD

Thanks for the response!

I agree that the investment of two feats and a fighting style for a specific scenario merits an absurdly good situational ability. On the other hand, I dislike the Peasant Rail Gun scenario because I am a fan of at least moderate realism (I know, I know -- it's DnD, how can I want realism in a game with magic and dragons) and I want to maintain a serious atmosphere in my games.

That being said, I think allowing free OAs equal to [DEX + prof] is still impressive enough to be worth the investment and is also enough OAs that the player won't reach that limit in most situations anyway. It's mainly for the sake of avoiding the "camera speed times five" effect while the PC slaughters, like you said, five hundred giant rats in 6 seconds.

Yunru
2019-02-23, 05:42 AM
I don't see the issue. If you don't like potentially infinite attacks, don't have the opposition continue to wander past the player after watching everyone else who tried it getting whacked.