PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Helping a new player build his dual axe wielding dwarven ranger!

MonkeySage
2019-02-22, 04:31 PM
Got a player, never played D&D before, but he seems to be a fast and motivated study.

Our party already consists of a kobold wizard 2/cleric of bahamut 1, a kobold rogue, and now this friend is wanting to build a dwarven ranger who dual wields axes. I suggested, for the weapons, dwarven waraxe in the main hand and a handaxe in the offhand.

In what other ways should I help him with his build?

Jiece18
2019-02-22, 05:00 PM
Would recommend using the Fighter class over Ranger. Helps with the feat heavy dual wield tree. Plus pick the same light weapon to lower penalties and for weapon focus feats.

Also, a dwarf traveling with two Kobolds?

MonkeySage
2019-02-22, 05:15 PM
It'll be interesting to say the least. The cleric of Bahamut is NG, and saved the life of the rogue (LN). Now the rogue feels he owes a debt to the cleric, and is acting as a bodyguard.

BowStreetRunner
2019-02-22, 05:22 PM
...Plus pick the same light weapon to lower penalties and for weapon focus feats.Or pick up Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting and wield both waraxes. Combine this with a level of Exotic Weapon Master (CW 30) for the Uncanny Blow stunt and you can do some serious power attack damage with each hand.

Eladrinblade
2019-02-22, 05:38 PM
Are you the DM? If so, maybe lax the rules on TWF a bit, because unless you're a rogue, TWF is not good as written. I made several changes myself, the main one is that any time a TWFer gets to make an attack, he can attack with both weapons. This includes a standard action attack, an attack of opportunity, spring attack, etc. If he's got TWF from the ranger bonus feat at 2nd level, maybe tell him to focus on strength and constitution, and leave dex as one of his lower scores. Not great since rangers are stuck with light armor, but he was never going to have a high AC to begin with so he ought to focus on offense.

Just make it clear that he's not a real tank or a heavy beatstick, but more like a skirmisher, so he should avoid real heavy combat if he can help it.

Vizzerdrix
2019-02-22, 06:15 PM
Gonna want the travel devotion feat (twf hates movement. A single cleric level is best to get this), and some form of defensive boost. I'm a big fan of aberrant dragonmark- shield to get mark of madness (meh) to get mark of xoriat for DR5/byeshk, but that may be a bit feat intense (3 total) for most builds.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-02-23, 07:49 PM
I would say go Warblade, and focus on the Tiger Claw maneuvers. Sudden Leap (swift action) lets you move and still full-attack, and there're also a lot of maneuvers based on duel-wielding.

Alternatively, take at least one level of barbarian and use the lion totem ACF from Complete Champion to get Pounce, letting them make a full attack after charging.

Also, here's a fantastic handbook on everything dual-wielding: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?279079-3-5-The-TWF-OffHandbook