PDA

View Full Version : Warforged integrated protection question

stoutstien
2019-02-22, 05:33 PM
If I'm reading this right this feature does not count as armor. It's just the formula to calculate armor class.
So a barbarian with a fighter dip could use the heavy plating without interfering with rage.
At the same time the forge clerics +1 armor blessings wouldn't work due to not being armor.

If so, this seems like an over complicated way of doing this feature instead of just saying you are treated as wearing studded leather, breastplate, or plate armor.

Am I reading this correctly?

ProsecutorGodot
2019-02-22, 05:41 PM
If I'm reading this right this feature does not count as armor. It's just the formula to calculate armor class.
So a barbarian with a fighter dip could use the heavy plating without interfering with rage.
At the same time the forge clerics +1 armor blessings wouldn't work due to not being armor.

If so, this seems like an over complicated way of doing this feature instead of just saying you are treated as wearing studded leather, breastplate, or plate armor.

Am I reading this correctly?

Darkwood Core (unarmored) 11 + your Dexterity modifier (add proficiency bonus if proficient with light armor)
Composite Plating (armor) 13 + your Dexterity modifier (maximum of 2) + your proficiency bonus.
Heavy Plating (armor) 16 + your proficiency bonus; disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks.

The latter 2 count as armored. It's not so simple as saying that you're wearing a type of armor because the feature also states that you can't gain the benefit of wearing conventional armors as well as having unique calculations and properties.

You cannot use Composite Plating or Heavy Plating and benefit from effects that require you to not be wearing armor. Just to nitpick as well (although I'm sure you meant it this way) dipping Fighter doesn't net you heavy armor proficiency, you start fighter.

stoutstien
2019-02-22, 05:45 PM
Darkwood Core (unarmored) 11 + your Dexterity modifier (add proficiency bonus if proficient with light armor)
Composite Plating (armor) 13 + your Dexterity modifier (maximum of 2) + your proficiency bonus.
Heavy Plating (armor) 16 + your proficiency bonus; disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks.

The latter 2 count as armored. It's not so simple as saying that you're wearing a type of armor because the feature also states that you can't gain the benefit of wearing conventional armors as well as having unique calculations and properties.

You cannot use Composite Plating or Heavy Plating and benefit from effects that require you to not be wearing armor. Just to nitpick as well (although I'm sure you meant it this way) dipping Fighter doesn't net you heavy armor proficiency, you start fighter.

Yeah I got the fighter thing backwards. I see the(armor) on the feature so obviously It won't work with the Monk but does the heavy plating count as heavy armor or just armor?

ProsecutorGodot
2019-02-22, 05:56 PM
Yeah I got the fighter thing backwards. I see the(armor) on the feature so obviously It won't work with the Monk but does the heavy plating count as heavy armor or just armor?

That's a better question actually, it probably doesn't count as heavy armor.

Misterwhisper
2019-02-22, 06:01 PM
It just counts as being armored.

Note that does not mean you are considered WEARING armor.

Also it if not specific on type so nothing positive e or negative works based them.

Ex

Can’t use medium armor expert or heavy armor master.
But you are also not considered to be using heavy armor so rage away.

stoutstien
2019-02-22, 08:49 PM
It just counts as being armored.

Note that does not mean you are considered WEARING armor.

Also it if not specific on type so nothing positive e or negative works based them.

Ex

Can’t use medium armor expert or heavy armor master.
But you are also not considered to be using heavy armor so rage away.
Is there any game mechanics that use armored as a condition? Maybe the heat metal spell.

Lord Vukodlak
2019-02-22, 08:54 PM
Is there any game mechanics that use armored as a condition? Maybe the heat metal spell.

Heat metal uses the metal condition. If you have full plate made from dragonhide or ankeg shells it wouldn’t count for heat metal.

Warforged are made in part of metal so they’d qualify as being targets even unarmored.