PDA

View Full Version : advice

Hunterx
2019-02-22, 05:59 PM
I was thinking of this and I think it could be very powerful and fun, just need to make it better and it is a class I have never played at all so I would like some input from players that have or may have played it.

Human WU-Jen 6 Frost Mage 10 x 4
Feats:
Lv1 snow casting, Frozen magic, bonus feat
Lv3 Energy Substitution (cold)
Lv6 Lord of Uttercold
Lv 9
Lv12
Lv15
Lv18

The question is this, should I stick with Wu-Jen or go, Wizard, Sorcerer or Warmage?

The next question is this: stay Human or go into Illumian or some other raceand what would you fill in the other feats with.

tstewt1921
2019-02-22, 06:06 PM
I haven't played Wu-Jen personally, but from everything I've read or heard about it is it's a pretty lackluster class, you could probably go Wizard/FrostMage/Elemental Savant or something to that extent if you want to stick to the frost specialty.

Human also works fine, it just depends on the flavor you want to have with the character.

Particle_Man
2019-02-22, 07:54 PM
I would say conjurer, and take feats (like augment summoning) that help make summoned critters like an ice beast tougher. So probably wizard.

Maat Mons
2019-02-22, 09:09 PM
This might be a dumb idea, but Frost Mage can advance divine casting, you just need one level in an arcane casting class to get in.

Having one level of arcane casting on a divine build is less than ideal, but you wouldn't actually be any further behind than spontaneous casters.

Levels: Archivist 4 / Duskblade 1 / Frost Mage 4 / Winterhaunt of Iborighu 6
Feats: Snowcasting (1st), Frozen Magic (1st), Energy Substitution (3rd), Craft Wondrous Item (6th), Chosen of Iborighu (9th), Piercing Cold (bonus, 9th)
Race: Human

As an Archivist, you have access to lots of spells, presumably including a decent number of energy-damage spells, for use with Energy Substitution (cold) and Piercing Cold. As a Frost Mage, your Piercing Cold spells are better than anybody else's Piercing cold spells. And as a Winterhaunt of Iborighu, all your spells are Piercing Cold spells with no spell level increase.

Duskblade meets the prerequisites for Frost Mage, while also giving you heavy armor proficiency. And as a divine caster, Archivists aren't hindered by wearing armor.

Hunterx
2019-02-23, 04:44 PM
This might be a dumb idea, but Frost Mage can advance divine casting, you just need one level in an arcane casting class to get in.

Having one level of arcane casting on a divine build is less than ideal, but you wouldn't actually be any further behind than spontaneous casters.

Levels: Archivist 4 / Duskblade 1 / Frost Mage 4 / Winterhaunt of Iborighu 6
Feats: Snowcasting (1st), Frozen Magic (1st), Energy Substitution (3rd), Craft Wondrous Item (6th), Chosen of Iborighu (9th), Piercing Cold (bonus, 9th)
Race: Human

As an Archivist, you have access to lots of spells, presumably including a decent number of energy-damage spells, for use with Energy Substitution (cold) and Piercing Cold. As a Frost Mage, your Piercing Cold spells are better than anybody else's Piercing cold spells. And as a Winterhaunt of Iborighu, all your spells are Piercing Cold spells with no spell level increase.

Duskblade meets the prerequisites for Frost Mage, while also giving you heavy armor proficiency. And as a divine caster, Archivists aren't hindered by wearing armor.

That is an interesting build but would make you a little MAD and the Frost Mage can bypass immunities to cold and can penetrate cold resistance just fine.

With the abilities of the WU-JEN and the feats, I can get a +5 CL to spells