PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Full caster main tank - Sorcerer 14/cleric 1/warlock 5

PancakeMaster80
2019-02-22, 07:49 PM
Introduction

I week or 2 ago I posted a full tank arcane caster build that made use of sorcerer/warlock/wizard. I’ve been playing an improved version of the build (sorcerer/cleric/warlock) through the white plume mountain adventure as the party’s main tank. The build has been performing very well, even allowing me to solo encounters made for the entire party. I’d like to share what this build does and see if folks have suggestions to improve it, as the is complicated enough that I'm almost certain I'm missing some optimization, that's where you helpful folks come in.

One last note, this build is being made for AL content and will be following those rules, with xanathar's guide to everything as our 1 splat book.

Character Creation

Stats
For this build we'll be using the point buy system with the following stats:

Str - 8
dex - 12
con - 15
int - 8
wis - 13
cha - 15

Race
We'll use the human variant, taking the warcaster feat, +1 to cha and con, and proficiency in acrobatics. This brings our stats to:

Str - 8
dex - 12
con - 16
int - 8
wis - 13
cha - 16

Background
Now we take criminal, as deception and stealth are always useful to have

Class
When it comes to class, we start with sorcerer for con save proficiency and pushing us towards spirit guardians as fast as possible.

Gear

I took the following:
Light crossbow
Arcane focus
Dungeoneer's pack
Two daggers

Sorcerous Origin
Here we take Divine soul, it gives us the following

Full access to the cleric spell list cast as cha based spells.
Cure wounds from our good affinity
Favored by the gods that lets us add 2d4 to a failed saving throw or missed attack once per short/long rest

Spells
Cantrips:

Guidance
Shocking grasp
Spare the dying
Toll the dead

1st level:

Absorb elements
Cure wounds
Shield

Levels 2-5
This build will spend its first 5 levels are a straight sorcerer, at least the way I'm ordering the levels. You have toll the dead for basic damage dealing and shocking grasp for when you become melee.

Level 2

Class features

Font of Magic: key sorcerer ability that will give us more casts of the spells we really want

Spells
1st level:

Healing Word

Level 3

Class features

Metamagic: we take extended spell for things like aid and quickened spell for double casting cantrips or a big spell and a cantrip

Spells
2nd level:

Aid

Level 4

ASI

We take the shield master feat, it’ll be key in a couple levels

Spells
Cantrips:

Blade ward

2nd level:

Spiritual weapon

Level 5

Spells
3rd level:

Replace healing word with counter spell
Spirit guardians

Level 6
Now it’s time for our first multi-class. We’ll be taking 1 level of cleric, giving us the following:

Medium and heavy armor, shield, and weapon proficiencies
Increased healing from life domain
Another caster level for more spell slots
Utility cantrips

Divine Domain
We’ll be taking the life domain, giving us the following:

Heavy armor proficiency – plate is good
Disciple of life – a flat increase in healing is always nice, especially in the late game when we get regeneration

Spells
Cantrips:

Guidance
Mending
Resistance

1st level:
These are the best spells for this build in my opinion, although we can always swap them out due to divine casting

Bless
Healing word
Detect magic

Levels 7-11
Now it’s time for our second multi-class. We’ll be taking 5 levels of warlock, giving us the following:

Eldritch blast/agonizing for turn-to-turn damage
Short rest spell slots to synergize with flexible casting from sorcerer
Pull from grasp of Hadar to trigger spirit guardians twice per turn on a target
Familiar from pact of the chain to give us the help action
Maximized healing dice from gift of the everliving ones
Decent source of healing on bonus action from celestial pact

Level 7

Otherworldly Patron
We take the celestial patron, it gives us the sacred flame and light cantrips and a pool of d6s equal to our warlock level +1 that we can use as a bonus action to heal us or another party member. This feature gets significantly stronger once we unlock pact of the chain to maximize those d6s when spent on ourselves.

Spells
Cantrips:

Eldritch blast
Light
Sacred flame
Sword burst

1st level:

Hex
Armor of Agathys

Level 8

Eldritch Invocations

Agonizing blast
Grasp of Hadar

Spells
1st level:

Hellish rebuke

Level 9

Pact Boon

Pact of the chain: gives us a familiar and more importantly, the gift of the ever-living ones invocation

Eldritch Invocations

Replace agonizing blast with gift of the ever-living ones

Spells
2nd level:

Mirror image

Level 10

ASI

We take the lucky feat to give an out against stray crits 3 times per long rest

Spells
2nd level:

Misty step

Level 11

Eldritch Invocation

Agonizing blast

Spells
3rd level:

Daylight
Replace hellish rebuke with dispel magic

Levels 12-20
It’s time to return to sorcerer for the rest of this build.

Level 12

Empowered healing
Not useful for heals targeting us, but could be helpful to give a party member a bit more health

Spells
3rd level:

Catnap

Level 13

Spells
4th level:

Death ward

Level 14

ASI
We increase our cha score by +2, bringing us to 18

Spells
3rd level:

Blink

Level 15

Spells
3rd level:

Bestow curse

Level 16
Metamagic
We’ll take twinned spell, as it lets us heal more than 1 target at a time if needed. It’s not a huge power boost, but it’s the best out of the options available.

Spells
Cantrips:

5th level:

Contagion

Level 17

Spells
6th level:

Heal

Level 18

ASI
We’ll take another +2 cha, bringing us to 20

Spells
5th level:

Mass cure wounds

Level 19

Spells
7th level:

Regenerate

Level 20

Sorcerous Origin
Flying is great, always nice to have it without a magic item

Spells
7th level:

Crown of stars

Strategy
The way I organized the levels this build spends levels 1-5 as a normal back line caster, coming online as a full tank at level 6. If a tank was needed in your party, you could take 1 level in cleric earlier, but I preferred getting to spirit guardians as fast as possible.
After level 6 this build becomes a full tank. During most fights the first round will be spent casting SG then moving towards the enemy. After that the build has several damage cantrips to choose from to fit the situation. Eldritch blast is by far the best at range, with shocking grasp or toll the dead being used against targets the build is in melee with. Quickened spell is especially good at this point, as it lets you cast 2 cantrips in a single round.
And that’s it! Hope you enjoyed reading this, if you have any suggestions, I’d be happy to hear them =).

Asmotherion
2019-02-22, 09:11 PM
You're loosing more than you're gaining from your Cleric Dip.

You already can have Armor and Shield prof from Hexblade and Healing spells and Spirit Guardians/Weapon from Divine Soul Sorcerer.

You don't really have a spell that can profit from really smooth synergising mechanics with the Life Domain that justifies the dip.

Finally the Celestial pact as a source of healing does not amount to a lot. With only 3 levels of Warlock you're looking at a pool of 4d6 healing power. it should also be noted that unfortunatelly this does not synergise with the Life Domain as it is not a spell. And quite honestly 4d6 is not a lot especially at the level you intend to perform the multiclass. You're better off upcasting Healing Word or if out of combat (were most of 5e healing happens) a nice Prayer of Healing.

Just some constructive criticism from my perspective. Take it with a grain of salt.

PancakeMaster80
2019-02-22, 10:02 PM
You're loosing more than you're gaining from your Cleric Dip.

You already can have Armor and Shield prof from Hexblade and Healing spells and Spirit Guardians/Weapon from Divine Soul Sorcerer.

You don't really have a spell that can profit from really smooth synergising mechanics with the Life Domain that justifies the dip.

The base healing increase to my cure wounds has proven to be quite useful, and eventually regeneration becomes incredibly good.

Finally the Celestial pact as a source of healing does not amount to a lot. With only 3 levels of Warlock you're looking at a pool of 4d6 healing power. it should also be noted that unfortunatelly this does not synergise with the Life Domain as it is not a spell. And quite honestly 4d6 is not a lot especially at the level you intend to perform the multiclass. You're better off upcasting Healing Word or if out of combat (were most of 5e healing happens) a nice Prayer of Healing.

I'm taking 5 levels of warlock so it comes out to 36 points of healing I can access with a bonus action. It is a bummer it doesn't work with life cleric, but it's still good. It was quite valuable in the game I played this week by letting me spend my action setting up/dealing damage while still keeping myself healthy. My character is now level 10, and the healing light dice come out about 1/3 of my total health. Hexblade would be a lot better for my boss damage, but this character wants to prioritize taking the hits over dealing them out.

Skylivedk
2019-02-23, 04:16 AM
Heavy armour with your strength score makes you super slow.

Also you can get one more Sorcerer spell by swapping your Sorcerer healing word out (you can take it from the cleric level if you do keep the dip).

You have written contagion twice.

I'm not sure why someone wouldn't just kite you to ignore you.

PancakeMaster80
2019-02-23, 06:33 AM
Heavy armour with your strength score makes you super slow.
If it's really a huge issue the character can go with medium armor, although slower movement speed has proved less of an issue than folks have made it out to be.

Also you can get one more Sorcerer spell by swapping your Sorcerer healing word out (you can take it from the cleric level if you do keep the dip).
I did swap out healing word for counterspell I believe

You have written contagion twice.
So I did, I'll be sure to fix it.

I'm not sure why someone wouldn't just kite you to ignore you.
The build can dash, has 10ft of pull with eldritch blast, and misty step if needed. I'm confused who would be kiting this character.