PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Drider (Race) [PEACH]

Sir_Popard
2019-02-22, 09:33 PM
DRIDER
I borrowed elements of Dark Elves and Centaurs (GG2R) to create these. I'd initially tried to capture the key elements of monstrous driders, but that seems too potent a creature to convert for player options. Instead, this will be intended for something more like a lesser drider, perhaps one created by other driders as described in this article (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20011118a).

DRIDER TRAITS
The following traits are shared by player characters who are driders.
Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 2, and your Wisdom score increases by 1.
Age. Driders continue to mature and age at about the same rate as elves.
Alignment. The agonizing process that creates driders leaves them chaotic, with an inclination toward evil.
Size. Driders stand between 6 and 7 feet tall, with their arachnoid bodies reaching about 4 feet at the abdomen. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Spider Climb. You can climb difficult surfaces, including upside down on ceilings, without needing to make an ability check, and ignore movement restrictions caused by webbing. You have a climbing speed of 30 feet.
Superior Darkvision. Accustomed to life underground, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 120 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Sunlight Sensitivity. You have disadvantage on attack rolls and on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight when you, the target of your attack, or whatever you are trying to perceive is in direct sunlight.
Monstrosity. Your creature type is monstrosity, rather than humanoid.
Underdark Survivor. You gain proficiency with one of the following skills of your choice: Perception, Stealth, or Survival.
Arachnoid Build. You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push or drag.
Innate Spellcasting. You know the poison spray cantrip. When you reach 3rd level, you can cast snare once without material components, and it recharges after a long rest. When you reach 5th level, you can cast web once, and it recharges after a long rest. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Undercommon.

Edit [3/6/19]: Dropped natural weapons. Replaced Drow magic casting ability with Wisdom.
Edit [3/7/19]: Dropped Fey Ancestry. Reduced the racial skills to selecting one of Perception, Stealth, or Survival. Changed the innate spell-casting selections to be more spider-themed.

Steel Mirror
2019-02-22, 10:32 PM
Just at a first glance, I would think about dropping the spider climb and the natural attacks.

The former is a bit strong in general, and like you say the race is pretty overstuffed so I think it's an easy thing to drop. If you want to make it more of a ribbon you could just make it ignoring movement restrictions caused by webbing.

The natural attack is something that most characters would hardly ever use, since actual weapons are just better and casters would rather not be using their turns to brawl anyway. So dropping it hlpes simplify the race in a way that doesn't really make it any less powerful, in practice.

I think I'd drop fey ancestry, too. Their type is changed to monstrosity, so losing some of the effects of their fey blood doesn't seem amiss.

I'll do a comparison later to see how that power level looks now, but that's my first pass at balancing and simplifying it a bit.

Sir_Popard
2019-03-06, 06:03 PM
Just at a first glance, I would think about dropping the spider climb and the natural attacks.

The former is a bit strong in general, and like you say the race is pretty overstuffed so I think it's an easy thing to drop. If you want to make it more of a ribbon you could just make it ignoring movement restrictions caused by webbing.

The natural attack is something that most characters would hardly ever use, since actual weapons are just better and casters would rather not be using their turns to brawl anyway. So dropping it hlpes simplify the race in a way that doesn't really make it any less powerful, in practice.

I think I'd drop fey ancestry, too. Their type is changed to monstrosity, so losing some of the effects of their fey blood doesn't seem amiss.

I'll do a comparison later to see how that power level looks now, but that's my first pass at balancing and simplifying it a bit.

You make some solid points.

I agree, dropping natural attacks does seem prudent. I have a harder time dropping spider climb; if I'm playing a spider-themed race, spider climb just feels... appropriate. I'm also torn on Fey Ancestry. It doesn't seem terribly unbalancing to keep. Plus, Drider are still elven-aspected and their monstrous version maintains that element.

Amnoriath
2019-03-06, 09:16 PM
Except being a monstrosity precludes them from many nasty low level spells and enemy abilities making it a huge advantage as such the loss of Fey Ancestry is necessary in both balance and theme. I also think you should change the spells more fitting to the spider theme.

DeTess
2019-03-07, 05:18 AM
I think 2 skill proficiencies is also too much in light of everything else it gets. I'd make it pick between those two.

clash
2019-03-07, 09:32 AM
I cant find the original post but somone on these forums made this https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/1vq1kz6PRAbw5LHy6amH-bNb4OuB8DBXL1RsZROt03Sc/edit#gid=0 as an excellent resource for balancing homebrew races.

Sir_Popard
2019-03-07, 07:05 PM
Except being a monstrosity precludes them from many nasty low level spells and enemy abilities making it a huge advantage as such the loss of Fey Ancestry is necessary in both balance and theme. I also think you should change the spells more fitting to the spider theme.

That is valid concern regarding Fey Ancestry. I'll cede to it.

As a reminder, this race is meant to reflect the Forgotten Realms Drider monster as a player option, so I've trying to capture their mechanics as much as possible within reason. They're really meant to be more "drow-themed" than "spider-themed." That being said, I'm bouncing around the idea of what alternate options would be fun. I was admittedly confused by their monstrous counterpart's lack of web-making abilities, and replacing Darkness with Web as their 5th level innate spell would sate that. So, instead Poison Spray, Snare, and Web. Snare is from Xanathar's Guide, although I recall even from 3.5 they discouraged racial spell-like abilities from outside the PHB, so I might opt for a spider-aspected version of Animal Friendship a la Pureblood Yuan-Ti instead.

I think I'm going to go rogue and take your suggestion. Thank you for the feedback.

I think 2 skill proficiencies is also too much in light of everything else it gets. I'd make it pick between those two.

This is a fair point. Thank you for the feedback.

I cant find the original post but someone on these forums made this as an excellent resource for balancing homebrew races.

Thank you for sharing this, it will come in handy. Edit: Came up with 32, depending on how one interprets the climb speed/spider climb bit.

Sir_Popard
2019-03-07, 07:14 PM
I think I'm going to shift the premise a bit, as described in the update opening post.