PDA

View Full Version : Fun magical secrets for a archer lore bard

Shuruke
2019-02-22, 09:38 PM
So I might be making a Bardlock re flavored as arcane archer soon (depending on what other players make alignment wise because I don't like playing Lawful characters in mainly C parties.)

But idea is to have a teacher apprentice relationship with patron where they are teaching magic to the character
(Ie reflavoring magical secrets as being learned from patron)

I was wondering what would be fun spells for an archer to pick up.

Just wanted to see what the hive mind can come up with

Ranging from area control to buffs etc.

If it helps the theatrics for magic being taught is curse and dark magic.

Think Hags or Dragon prince black magic.

dragoeniex
2019-02-23, 12:37 PM
You might consider Conjure Volley for a 10th level secret. Your archer shoots one black arrow above the battlefield, and the sky ripples where it disappears. Not a second later, hundreds upon hundreds of arrows rain down from inside the widest rings of that ripple.

Drama aside, a 40 ft radius 8d8 cylinder is a huge spell that works great for an archer theme. Swift Quiver is another ranger fifth level spell you could gank, but unless you've got a way to make your shots hurt, it's going to be hard to make it feel worthwhile.

For your 6th level secrets... Dark magic theme in mind, what about considering Slow? Choose six creatures inside a 40 ft cube to try and affect- meaning you can avoid allies- and boom! Suddenly the people you're firing on are half speed and can't easily run to cover, their AC is lower so you (and your buddies) can take advantage, and they're unable to make more than one attack and must choose between that or a bonus action. Plus the whole "this can screw with spellcasting" cherry on top.

It is concentration with repeated saves, and it doesn't directly tie in with an archer theme, but it makes sense for a dark mentor to teach. It's a powerful debuff that helps you land your hits, and it's a generally helpful thing your whole team can make use of.

And you can always fluff the spell itself to be you firing bolts of eldritch energy at the six chosen targets.

If you ever consider Lightning Arrow, I'd say stop and take Lightning Bolt instead. You can easily reflavor it, and Lightning Arrow would require a very good weapon or added strike effect to be worthwhile.

Kadesh
2019-02-23, 01:05 PM
Swift Quiver however takes you ur Concentration, so, largely, it is in competition with Haste. Haste i soften more efficient while you can simultaneously use FIND Greater Steed for at Will flight instead (which you can share both Haste and Armor of Agathys with instead).

Shuruke
2019-02-23, 01:16 PM
And you can always fluff the spell itself to be you firing bolts of eldritch energy at the six chosen targets.

If you ever consider Lightning Arrow, I'd say stop and take Lightning Bolt instead. You can easily reflavor it, and Lightning Arrow would require a very good weapon or added strike effect to be worthwhile.

I like idea of re fluffing slow that could be cool

And with way dm is allowing it lightning arrow will proc the sharpshooter damage and mod in aoe

Ie 4d8+(13 or 15) on primary target
Neaby enemies dex to half

In miss its just 4d8 dex half

Also ruled for if it crits for 8d8+etc thats also save for 1/2 for the aoe

So 21-23 avg vs 8d6(28)
I think I'd be ok with taking the 21-23 since I can stack warlock smite for a decent single target nova and still have extra attack

That and never really been a lightning bolt or fireball fan XD I think I'd like them more if they weren't outright better than other options just as a npd to past editions

Shuruke
2019-02-23, 01:21 PM
Swift Quiver however takes you ur Concentration, so, largely, it is in competition with Haste. Haste i soften more efficient while you can simultaneously use FIND Greater Steed for at Will flight instead (which you can share both Haste and Armor of Agathys with instead).

That makes sense especially since 5th level haste would grant it to 2 allies and you.

But swift quiver is a bonus action cast which is nice for sake of still getting extra attack off on first turn. And if concentration gets ended their isn't stunned condition

Kadesh
2019-02-23, 01:32 PM
Swift Quiver takes a bonus action to cast and a bonus action to utilise, so gives no bonus until R2, sadly. Equally valid points other than that, however.

RogueJK
2019-02-23, 01:43 PM
You might consider Conjure Volley for a 10th level secret. Your archer shoots one black arrow above the battlefield, and the sky ripples where it disappears. Not a second later, hundreds upon hundreds of arrows rain down from inside the widest rings of that ripple.

Drama aside, a 40 ft radius 8d8 cylinder is a huge spell that works great for an archer theme.

Conjure Volley is thematically a great choice for an archer, but mechanically may not be a great choice.

Notice that the spell specifies that it only works with non-magical ammunition, and that the damage type is the same as the ammo. (Conjure Barrage has the same wording.) By Level 10+, when you would acquire Conjure Volley, you're running into a number of monsters that are resistant or immune to non-magical piercing damage. This is further exacerbated for a Ranger, who normally wouldn't get this spell until Level 17+. Still could be useful against a horde of lower CR, non-resistant/immune enemies, though.

In addition, your character will likely have magical weapons by Level 10+ (or 17+ for a Ranger), and mundane ammo fired from a magical bow is considered magical ammo. Which means that they would have to carry around a non-magical bow, and switch to the non-magical bow when they wanted to use Conjure Volley.

So Conjure Volley could be potentially useful in some situations, but it's not the "must have" spell that it might appear to be at first glance. Unless you can talk your DM into letting it work with magical ammo, that is.

Shuruke
2019-02-23, 02:05 PM
Conjure Volley is thematically a great choice for an archer, but mechanically may not be a great choice.

Notice that the spell specifies that it only works with non-magical ammunition, and that the damage type is the same as the ammo. (Conjure Barrage has the same wording.) By Level 10+, when you would acquire Conjure Volley, you're running into a number of monsters that are resistant or immune to non-magical piercing damage. This is further exacerbated for a Ranger, who normally wouldn't get this spell until Level 17+. Still could be useful against a horde of lower CR, non-resistant/immune enemies, though.

In addition, your character will likely have magical weapons by Level 10+ (or 17+ for a Ranger), and mundane ammo fired from a magical bow is considered magical ammo. Which means that they would have to carry around a non-magical bow, and switch to the non-magical bow when they wanted to use Conjure Volley.

So Conjure Volley could be potentially useful in some situations, but it's not the "must have" spell that it might appear to be at first glance. Unless you can talk your DM into letting it work with magical ammo, that is.

That could be an issue but luckily at our table we rule that p ,b,s from spells counts as magical

So in our interpretation it just means which of those 3 is being used
Say if u used a slung ammunition itd be B

If arrow itd be magical piercing

I cant think of slashing XD

dragoeniex
2019-02-23, 03:26 PM
That could be an issue but luckily at our table we rule that p ,b,s from spells counts as magical

So in our interpretation it just means which of those 3 is being used
Say if u used a slung ammunition itd be B

If arrow itd be magical piercing

I cant think of slashing XD

It would count as magical; all damage from spells does. Your DM could rule otherwise, but it would default in your favor here.

Also, you don't have to fire it from a non-magical bow or crossbow unless your DM rules otherwise, and there's nothing stopping you from just throwing a piece if need be.