PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Best solo character build you could do for popular adventures?

Alucard89
2019-02-22, 11:06 PM
Let's say you are to take most popular 5E adventures but you have to play them solo, you start at higher level because solo but you need to make a build that will make you be able to survive a lot of different situations in adventures made for usually 4 players.

My best bets:
1. Classic 6/14 Sorcadin with Divine Soul. Great defense, Aura, good DPR, great Nova, great self heal, great AOE, great single target damage. Melee and Range.

2. Padlock 6/14 or Hexblade/Fighter - more resources per short rests, a lot of utility. Good damge. First one adds Aura for extra saves.

3. Sorlock 3/17 (Hexblade/Divine Soul) - good defense, medium armor, great AC, great spam single target burst (EB), lot of AOE, access to self heals and buffs.

What would be your perfect solo build if you were to play adventures solo?

Lord Vukodlak
2019-02-22, 11:46 PM
Paladin7sorcerer13 for conquest might work better. The ability to lock down mobs with fear so their movement drops to zero would be useful.

Man_Over_Game
2019-02-23, 12:20 AM
I'd actually recommend Sorcerer 1, Fiendlock 3, Paladin 16. The goal here is to get 2 Short Rest recharging spell slots from the Fiend Warlock, using the Temporary hitpoints from killing an enemy (which will be often, since you're the only character), and using the Shield and Absorb Elements spell from Sorcerer.

Foxhound438
2019-02-23, 01:11 AM
If you're running encounters as written, a big thing you might end up running into trouble with is groups of enemies, so area damage is a good option, as is minion warfare. A straight necromancer, given that you start at least at level 5, can easily match the fighting force of most early module encounters with a few skeleton archers and zombie frontliners. A shepard druid could probably do almost as well, if they can allocate their summon spells properly for long enough to get to a point where they can summon all day.

But when taking it all the way to 20, any class played right can probably do great. Only ones I can really see having major issues are things that build really heavily towards melee without picking up any good mobility options. Even lacking a decided way to deal with crowds, a high level character can usually kill off enemies every round, so action economy at that point is only bad for the first couple of turns and then it basically flips, and even without killing everything something like a rogue with their +17 to stealth can easily shoot and hide all day against lower level enemies.

Lord Vukodlak
2019-02-23, 02:22 AM
I'd actually recommend Sorcerer 1, Fiendlock 3, Paladin 16. The goal here is to get 2 Short Rest recharging spell slots from the Fiend Warlock, using the Temporary hitpoints from killing an enemy (which will be often, since you're the only character), and using the Shield and Absorb Elements spell from Sorcerer.

If you go Order of the crown you’ll get spirit guardians very good crowd damager.

hymer
2019-02-23, 03:26 AM
Straight druid. Shepherd for steamrolling combat encounters, land for flexibility and spell recovery, moon druid for earth elemental bypassing, or dreams for... Well, flitting about a battlefield.

ProsecutorGodot
2019-02-23, 03:59 AM
I suppose I'll be the stick in the mud and point out that even the simplest published adventure (which in my opinion is Dragon Heist, it's not very deadly in terms of encounters outside of a few season based exceptions. However you might not "succeed" alone) would be difficult as a solo class.

Off the top of my head, this is how I'd rate a solo adventurers odds in a handful of modules I have experience with:
-HOTDQ - No, Greenrest will demolish you at any reasonable level
-TOA - Doubt you'd make it very far into the temple if you even make it there at all.
-SKT - I would say your chances are good because encounter sizes are small. The issue is that the creatures in the encounter are Giants.
-COS - Wandering Barovia alone puts you at the top of Strahds prospective new thrall list.

Action Economy and Bounded Accuracy are significant hurdles in the face of solo adventuring.

With that said, it's not very sporting of me to show up and spout only negatives. I have a few ideas.
-Rogue 2 is a big consideration. It guarantees that no matter what happens you have a use for your bonus action. Expertise in acrobatics/athletics to escape grapples.
-Your starting class should be Shadow Sorcerer. Going down is a death sentence so don't do that. Con and Cha save proficiency is optimal for this.
-Half-Orc, you cannot go unconscious.
-Conquest Paladin (7 minimum) for area control.
-Focus your spells from sorcerer on efficient AoE. Your single target is good enough as a Paladin.
-If you roll poorly on stats Hexblade is a must. It's pretty MAD either way seeing as a solo adventurer can only afford to dump int, although he probably tanked his Wis also.

We'll assume you start a level 1 adventure at level 5. Sorc1/Pal3/Lock1. Take your next 2 level in Paladin for asi and extra attack.

I can only be so optimistic though, you're gonna need some extraordinary luck to go much farther than this.

Rukelnikov
2019-02-23, 04:24 AM
I was gonna propose playing something not normally doable whn playing with people, like being a Necro, raising wights helping them to raise their own zombies and move your undead army unto the enemies.... but you would be playing a different game altogether...

So, I guess for a more normal solo game:

*You should be able to cover the basics, flight, see invis, avoid 1 shots (sleep could very well be fatal without at least a familiar), either thru racial/class features or with magic items.
*There are few if any situations that cant be solved with right spell/s try to get as much versatility as possible with spell choices.
*Assassin 3 may be interesting, you are going solo, you can max stealth you will be dealing crits left and right.

Unoriginal
2019-02-23, 04:29 AM
Playing Waterdeep: Dragon Heist as a solo Monk is basically the D&D equivalent of the Yakuza video game franchise, so it can be fun. Though you'd need to start at a level higher than 1 (4th level would work).

CTurbo
2019-02-23, 04:48 AM
Wood Elf Gloom Stalker 5/Scout Rogue 15 with Alert, Ritual Caster(Alarm and Find Familiar), Observant, and probably Mobile. Adding 1 level of War Cleric to this would not be a bad idea.

Beastmaster Ranger and Chain Pact Warlock are good options for solo play since having a companions or improved familiar double your attention.

Rukelnikov
2019-02-23, 04:51 AM
Wood Elf Gloom Stalker 5/Scout Rogue 15 with Alert, Ritual Caster(Alarm and Find Familiar), Observant, and probably Mobile. Adding 1 level of War Cleric to this would not be a bad idea.

Beastmaster Ranger and Chain Pact Warlock are good options for solo play since having a companions or improved familiar double your attention.

Or bard for a Greater Steed

Orc_Lord
2019-02-23, 09:14 AM
Shepherd Druid is the answer.

You scout in animal forms. Summon allies, can heal, control and buff your own conjurations.

Oh and at higher levels if you go unconscious things appear and fight for you.

Or you can be a stealthy swashbuckler rogue and try to never get into a fight you can't win

Alucard89
2019-02-23, 10:00 AM
Thanks for all answers so far.

One more condition has appeared: start at level 5 for adventures that normally start at level 1.

Lord Ruby34
2019-02-23, 11:20 AM
Ancients Paladin 7/Lore Bard 13

You're excellent at combat, can have whatever spell you want, a good use for your reaction, and the ability to talk or sneak your way past a lot of problems without fighting.

Depending on what you get expertise in you can talk NPCs onto standing with you and joining the fight, or be an expert at stealth that can cast enhance ability or invisibility on yourself.

Unoriginal
2019-02-23, 11:23 AM
Thanks for all answers so far.

One more condition has appeared: start at level 5 for adventures that normally start at level 1.

Then I'd definitively go for Monk only, in Dragon Heist.

Probably Drunken Master.

CTurbo
2019-02-23, 12:21 PM
Then I'd definitively go for Monk only, in Dragon Heist.

Probably Drunken Master.

Long Death to keep your hp up every time you kill something, have the crowd control FEAR feature in you back pocket when needed, and then at level 11, death will be an afterthought.

I'd probably still take Ritual Caster for Alarm and Find Familiar.

zinycor
2019-02-23, 01:12 PM
Well... If you are going alone, yo uare going to take a lot of damage... What about some Barbarian levels?

Mandarin
2019-02-23, 02:06 PM
In my opinion, everyone is going about this all wrong.

You are by yourself, you don't want to try and force your way through. One fear, one paralyze... and your life is forfeit.

If this was me... I would be the enemies worst fear. I would be the silent mastermind working behind the shadows that nobody ever sees. People would start going missing but nobody would ever know to where.

Depending on if I rolled stats or did stat array I would do Variant Human or Tiefling Warlock, eventually multiclassing into Rogue once I got my lock online.

So here is the Build.

GOO Warlock pact of the chain.

Invocations: Chain Master, Mask of Many Faces, Silent Image at will one... later on taking Agonizing Blast, invisible in dim light one, and devils sight.

Feats: Actors feat, than get CHA up to 20.

Go Lock 4/Rogue 1 to start, eventually taking rogue to 3 to get cunning action (Because bonus action sprint and still tossing an illusionary wall up WILL save your life... place expertise in deception/persuasion. Off the bat with a 18 CHA you have a +10 to deception checks with advantage at level 5 when pretending to be someone else... which you will always be.... you will NEVER be yourself. You are the faceless man.

You sit in the shadows in some remote inn, a poor old blind man just trying to keep his hands warm by the fire. In reality you are watching through your Imps eyes as he invisibly, as a spider (I dare a DM to make you roll stealth on that crap and if he does, that is not the DM for you) makes his way through the castle, learning peoples names, their stories, their patrol patterns, where they sleep, where they store their water, where they go to the bathroom, where their families live when they leave work, where their kids go to school... everything. Take massive amounts of notes. If you find something you might need later, have your imp grab it and take it with him. (He can carry 45 pounds)

When you are ready, you will find the weak link... the child on their way to school, the wife on her way to the well, the guard out back urinating.... and you will kill them... than you will replace them. Move your way into their ranks, ideally taking out the leader within a few kills to leave as little trail as possible. Now you are the leader of this outpost, and there has been a change of plans...

Nobody will ever see you, nobody will know you were there. If a BBG is too hard to take on alone, convince his men that you are actually them, lets see who wins that persuasion roll. Suggest he goes out into the wild for a nice retreat but don't tell anyone... while he is gone take over and convince the men a shapeshifter is going to try to break in. All hell breaks loose? ...you have silent image at will to hide behind, darkness to get away, an imp to run interference.

The idea is, you are not GREAT at combat... but you do not have to be. You are the mastermind, you make others do your will without them even realizing it. Suggestion, detect thoughts, illusions, Dream, these are your tools, these are your strengths. You live inside your enemies head.

You are the shadow, you are your enemies worst fear.

JMS
2019-02-23, 02:23 PM
In my opinion, everyone is going about this all wrong.

You are by yourself, you don't want to try and force your way through. One fear, one paralyze... and your life is forfeit.

If this was me... I would be the enemies worst fear. I would be the silent mastermind working behind the shadows that nobody ever sees. People would start going missing but nobody would ever know to where.

Depending on if I rolled stats or did stat array I would do Variant Human or Tiefling Warlock, eventually multiclassing into Rogue once I got my lock online.

So here is the Build.

GOO Warlock pact of the chain.

Invocations: Chain Master, Mask of Many Faces, Silent Image at will one... later on taking Agonizing Blast, invisible in dim light one, and devils sight.

Feats: Actors feat, than get CHA up to 20.

Go Lock 4/Rogue 1 to start, eventually taking rogue to 3 to get cunning action (Because bonus action sprint and still tossing an illusionary wall up WILL save your life... place expertise in deception/persuasion. Off the bat with a 18 CHA you have a +10 to deception checks with advantage at level 5 when pretending to be someone else... which you will always be.... you will NEVER be yourself. You are the faceless man.

You sit in the shadows in some remote inn, a poor old blind man just trying to keep his hands warm by the fire. In reality you are watching through your Imps eyes as he invisibly, as a spider (I dare a DM to make you roll stealth on that crap and if he does, that is not the DM for you) makes his way through the castle, learning peoples names, their stories, their patrol patterns, where they sleep, where they store their water, where they go to the bathroom, where their families live when they leave work, where their kids go to school... everything. Take massive amounts of notes. If you find something you might need later, have your imp grab it and take it with him. (He can carry 45 pounds)

When you are ready, you will find the weak link... the child on their way to school, the wife on her way to the well, the guard out back urinating.... and you will kill them... than you will replace them. Move your way into their ranks, ideally taking out the leader within a few kills to leave as little trail as possible. Now you are the leader of this outpost, and there has been a change of plans...

Nobody will ever see you, nobody will know you were there. If a BBG is too hard to take on alone, convince his men that you are actually them, lets see who wins that persuasion roll. Suggest he goes out into the wild for a nice retreat but don't tell anyone... while he is gone take over and convince the men a shapeshifter is going to try to break in. All hell breaks loose? ...you have silent image at will to hide behind, darkness to get away, an imp to run interference.

The idea is, you are not GREAT at combat... but you do not have to be. You are the mastermind, you make others do your will without them even realizing it. Suggestion, detect thoughts, illusions, Dream, these are your tools, these are your strengths. You live inside your enemies head.

You are the shadow, you are your enemies worst fear.

This is amazing for a plan. The other option would to avoid playing 5e, and play AD&D. Don't go into a fair fight, get all the allies you can, and enter with a lot of smoke, burning oil, and confusion. I hear flour is particularly explosive in the right conditions. Just seek to cheat, whether that be the mob of villagers, the flooding, or worse. You don't go in fair, you go in mean.

SkipSandwich
2019-02-23, 05:00 PM
To really channel that ADnD flavor, you could run a Rogue3(Thief)/Fighter17(Champion). Thanks to Gifted Athelete applying half-proficiency on all Str/dex/con checks you are free to focus your proficiencies on things like Stealth, Persusuaison, Perception, Ect to give a well-rounded character (Fighter was the OG skillmonkey!).

You'll want fairly well-rouded offense and defense, so i suggest either Human (for balanced stats) or Forest Gnome (for better saving throws vs magic) using medium armor and shooting for 14 Dex + Archery FS or 16 Dex + Defensive FS and Medium Armor Mastery with 16-18 Str, as that gives the best balance between melee and ranged combat while maximizing AC. For your 2nd FS pick up one of Archery, Defensive or possibly TWF.

Rogue 3 is there for Fast Hands + Second Story Work, letting you get into all sorts of places and make a nusiance of yourself with oil, caltrops, thieves tools ect.

Mitsu
2019-02-23, 05:31 PM
If we are to start with level 5 character I would probably go Paladin straight as it's only one level to 6th where you get Aura. You should have no problem in first few modules in most adventures that start from level 1 with level 5 character. Of course equipment is also important so I would talk with DM to start with at least Plate or Half-Plate (if medium) and some other decent stuff to off-set being solo.

Anyway with Paladin 5 I would go with Vuman. Extra feat for solo is absolutely priceless.

Anyway I would go Weapon + Shield Paladin with Defense fighting style. And I would go to level 6 straight.

As for Oaths- Conquest if you want to go for level 7, Devotion and Vengeance if level 6.

Personally for solo I would go Devotion. Reasons: normally I prefer Vengeance or Conquest. Vengeance is god-like in party because he can just go and focus on boss while rest of the team deals with adds around. But if you will play solo you will play vs boss AND adds. Meaning- VoE won't do you too much good. However, +4 or +5 to hit on short rest vs all enemies around will do a lot as solo you don't want to miss at all. Conquest is great but you need to go level 7, and that will delay further build I want to propose further. I would go Devotion. Immunity to charm is not really a problem to you as your WIS saves will be god like anyway with proficiency + aura.

So Devotion to level 6. I would start with RES (CON) or War Caster if DM allows. And on level 4 - take +2 CHA.

On level 7 I would take Hexblade 1 level dip to become SAD CHA. This will also give you Curse, Shield, Booming Blade, EB and 1 short rest slot.

Now, normally I would say to go now for Divine Sorcerer, HOWEVER, again- we are solo. We need to be as all around efficient as possible. Hence why I would take 2nd level of Hexblade. Just to get Devil's Sight and Agonizing Blast. Now you have great range attack with EB, darkness is not a problem, you are SAD CHA for both melee and range, you have +4 to all Saves and you have 2 level 1 short rest slot. Now here is where I would start going for Divine Soul Sorcerer. Why:

First off all- let's be honest- what will screw you most in solo gameplay is failed save. You don't want to fail save. That is why you have Aura. But even with Aura you may roll low- so I would take Divine Soul for 2k4 on short rest to any saving throw. 2k4 is on average +5 to any save throw. This is huge.

You spell progression will be slow but I wouldn't bother about that. Now go straight Divine Soul.

The next feat I would take is NOT +2 CHA. Hah, yes, I know. I would take Lucky. Again- save throws. Aura +4, Divine Souls +2k4 to save and Lucky will ensure that you will almost never fail a critical save (vs disable spell, banishement, force cage etc.). +2 CHA is also great but only if you know module. Some adventures have nasty save throws coming at you. Lucky can also help vs failed Perception check or DEX save etc.

The spells I would want to have are: Armor of Agathys, Shield, Absorb Elements, Spirit Guardians, True Sight, Heal, Great Invisibility, Mass Suggestion or Hypnotic Pattern or Web (generally mass disable), Misty Step, Dispell, Counterspell. Again we try to be versitile here. Hold Person is NOT important as your Sorc progress is very slow and single targets are least of your problems.

You will have great defense (heavy armor, defense style, shield, absorb elements, aura, favoured by gods, lucky), great melee offense (Smites, extra attack, quicken cantrips later), great AOE CC (Mass Suggestion, Hypontic Pattern etc.), great accuracy (Sacred Weapon, sword n board + magic weapons you find), great AOE damage (Spirit Guardians), great Nova, great range damage (EB + Agonizing Blast) and great self heal later (Quicken Heal + Hands) and you are versitile in weapon usage (Defense style and no PAM/GWM meaning you can use fully what you find).

If you get with that to mid-levels you would look like that: 6 Paladin/2 Hexblade/5 Divine Soul Sorcerer. Total level 13.

It's kind of late game but if you start on level 5 - Paladin seems like best class as you already get extra attack + Paladin best early level buffs and you are only one level from Aura.

This is would I would do. Imo your worst enemy on solo gameplay is not damage received and damage done (this can be easly countered by Shield, Absorb Elements, Bear Totem Barbarian, Invisibility, self buffs etc.) but failed Save Throws.

HexSorcadin is imo best to balance everything when it comes to combat.

Christian
2019-02-23, 10:05 PM
I had some luck test-running a solo Way of Shadows monk through the basic set adventure.

It's a very different game, though. You never go head-to-head with a band of mooks, for instance. You lurk and wait for a chance to hit one or two that split away from the main group. I had a lot of success waiting for bad guys to go use the privy. It's kind of rough on the DM when the adventure has a static description of enemies by location ... lots of improvisation needed.

My best description of the feel of play in that game was that it was like a horror movie, and I was the mysterious mad slasher. It can take a while for the enemy to even realize he's under attack. "Hey, has anyone seen Joe lately? He went off to pee an hour ago and never came back."

stoutstien
2019-02-23, 10:23 PM
Publish adventures as written? I would say probably a Shepherd or Moon druid with a rogue dip.
The emphasis on action economy and 5th would make a class without the ability to summon help will struggle.

Alucard89
2019-02-23, 11:02 PM
Publish adventures as written? I would say probably a Shepherd or Moon druid with a rogue dip.
The emphasis on action economy and 5th would make a class without the ability to summon help will struggle.

Why Rogue dip?

stoutstien
2019-02-23, 11:44 PM
Why Rogue dip?
Cunning action and expertise mostly. If anything you can run away.