PDA

View Full Version : The Old Keep

Great Dragon
2019-02-23, 01:45 PM
Assistance needed:
Keep is located in the forested wilderness.
Mountains within 30 miles.

I need a name for The Old Keep (nickname) that is under new management.

I haven't decided yet who built the Keep.
Which Race? What PC Class(es)? Why?

Both Elves and Dwarves are possible.
Perhaps as a Neutral Meeting Place?

The Keep is now occupied by Humans, and is a Trade Town within the Keep.

KittenMagician
2019-02-23, 02:10 PM
Timberwatch Keep
Glade Warden's Keep
Wildweald Keep

Great Dragon
2019-02-23, 02:53 PM
Timberwatch Keep

I like this for the Original Name.

Most likely build by Elves, with the use of spells - Fabricate and Walls of Stone.

What would the Dwarves have added?
Tunnels and Rooms under the Keep?
What would they call these?

Wildweald Keep
This is a possibility.

How about the Human's Name of the Keep?

Great Dragon
2019-02-23, 11:35 PM
The Under Hall? The Lower Reaches?

I'll need to look these up in Dwarven.

Twainsmeet since it's a trading center. And it beckons back to the Elves and Dwarves possibly meeting there.

Hope that helps.

that's great! thanks!

How about a name for the Local Dungeon? The kind with Monsters....

brian 333
2019-02-24, 04:38 AM
Ruins of Feywatch Keep, or The Black Hill Of The Necromancer

Two thousand years ago the dwarves built a keep on the verge of the elven lands to monitor their suspicious behavior. The elves took it as provocation, and many were the skirmishes fought around the Keep. Dwarves controlled lands around it for a time, then elves, then dwarves again, until the lands were sown with blood and bone of both dwarves and elves.

Then a necromancer came and assumed control of the tower, and all sides retreated from it. Over time the necromancer faded, and became less active until now, when no living elf or dwarf can recall his having ever done anything. Some say he has died and become a vengeful spirit haunting the keep, while others say he's gone, though they won't go look for themselves.

It is believed that the adventurers who learn the truth of the Necromancer will either join him in death, or emerge from the Keep loaded with his wealth. So far, none who have ventured very far into the Keep have returned.

Both dwarves and elves have plans of the castle as it stood before the arrival of the Necromancer, but who knows how things have changed in the hundreds of years since he took over.

Great Dragon
2019-02-24, 08:42 AM
Ruins of Feywatch Keep, or The Black Hill Of The Necromancer

I love this!! And the added Background is welcome - Thanks!

Got a Name and Race (Tiefling?) for that Old Necromancer? Something for the PCs to discover.

I'd only change it to The Ruins of Feywatch Keep (Dwarves) -
AKA The Black Hill Of The Necromancer (Elves).
So, what Name you get depends on who you ask!

It would also explain why the Local Mountain Dwarves and Moon Elves don't get along, and would be very surprised to see both a Dwarf and an Elf (of any Kind) within an Adventuring Party.
Outsiders of either Race, while tolerated by their own kind, are still looked upon with suspicion.
And with cold stares and hostility by the other Race.
The Elves don't really know how to react to Half-Elves.
The Dwarves are this way about Half-Orcs.

Maybe a Clan of Dark Dwarves has moved into the Ruins and is trying to claim it?
Opposing them is a Tribe of Kobolds.
Players can Pick a Side, or fight both. Potential for both RP and Combat.
Need names for the Dark Dwarven Clan and the Kobold Tribe.

There are more Dungeon-like areas (each one accessed by a different cave) scattered about the Wilderness around the Old Keep. (At least 10)

So more Dungeon Name Ideas are welcome.

I suck at Naming things, and prefer here to some Random Name Generator.
I can look up Individual Racial NPC/Villain Names as needed.

This is the old B2 - Keep on the Borderlands Adventure converted by me into 5e, and then upscaled to 5th Level.

And yes, I know about the new 5e Adventure about this, I just can't afford to get it right now.
Plus, it's most likely for 1st-3rd Level Characters, so I'd end scaling up the Creatures anyway.
-------
I'm replacing the Cave of the Unknown with the Ruins Dungeon Above.
Anyone got a Map of a Keep/Castle that I can have to use?
Along with a Map of the Caves underneath the Keep - since Gygax left the Unknown Caves empty, so that each DM could make their own Dungeon/Maze there. If I get enough Time, I can make one - but if I can get one - that would be welcome as well.
--------
There are Areas A-K, though I'm most likely going to combine Area A and Area D (Goblins, and give them Class Levels of at least 3rd Level. Not really a threat individually to any PC, much less a Party - but watch out, Goblins love to ambush and swarm targets) into one.

I'm keeping the Orcs - Area B?, but adding Class Levels to them as well.

I'm going to replace the old Animal People - some with Gnolls (Barbarians and Rangers, led by either a Warlock or a Sorcerer) - but not sure what other Races just yet.

I'm going to have to expand Area I (Minotaurs)

I'm going to keep Area K as being controlled by Drow - with Class Levels.
Their Leader is a Priestess of Loth (at least 8th level) - I'll look up a name for her later.

I need to expand Area G, and then I'm most likely going to place a Beholder-kin within.
Need a Type of around CR 5-6 (I'll work on this, but suggestions are welcome) and a Name for that, as well.

Great Dragon
2019-02-24, 11:37 PM
Grymourna Deathveil, Hobgoblin Necromancer.

Awesome!

Clan Gorbashram for Dark Dwarves.

The Varandrakon (land dragons) for Kobolds

Great!

Other random names:

Caves of Farandaway Falls
Perhaps near the River - yes. 1

Charnaos Chapel (burnt shrine)
ok - 2

Dunladen Downs aka The Grey Crypts
Nice - 3

Foulcanyon Caverns
A location in the Mountains?

Grimwarden Pass Outpost
A location in the Mountains....

The Grinning Skull Inn and Tavern
Perhaps in the Under Halls?

Illumbra Towers
Perhaps the nearest Moon Elven Defense?
Need an Elven Nation Name.

Shoalsmere Lakehouse
No lakes nearby. But will keep for when I have a location with a lake.

Thorndell Temple
Not sure if I need both a Chapel and a Temple.
What Race built them - and what God was each dedicated to?

Wulfgarrison Keep
Perhaps the First Defense of the Mountain Dwarves?
Need a Nation Name for these.

Should be able to stick "free keep/castle maps" or "free cave/cavern map" into a search engine and find plenty. Also if you have access to the DMG and/or Volo's Guide, they have some maps you can use

I'll look when I have the time - thanks!

Great Dragon
2019-03-08, 05:48 AM
I used Feywatch as the Dungeon Keep's Old Name
- and am going with Marlinspike Keep for the Old Name of Twainsmeet Keep.
The Dwarves call the Old Keep "Timberwatch" - what the Elves call it isn't for polite company!

I welcome all help.

I'll be adding things as I think of them - only placing new posts once in awhile.
Most times, I'll just edit. But, if the Thread falls more than 2 pages back, and I think of something new to add, I'll make a new post.

Thanks for the help so far!

Edit - 3/8/19 - 8:20 pm PST.

Dwarven Kingdom Name: Mugulihr.

Elven Kingdom Name: Alqualond.

----
Edit - 3/10/19 - 8 am

On a different tangent, now - naming a Dwarven Patron for a Celestial Warlock.
Tyssora Fistgleam - The servant of Sharindlar

I had a Dwarven Patron for a "Great Old One" Warlock. I'll see if I can retrieve it.
Edit Bakgroc Cavemantle, Master of the Deeps

Great Dragon
2019-03-23, 06:52 AM
Slowly working on the History of the Keep Area. (Region Name?)
{On the Forgotten Realms map, this area is within Kryptgarden Forest
near the Sword Mountains - North of Waterdeep}

Need some kind of current large problem for the local Moon Elves, to explain why they have retreated into the Forest, and are allowing both Bandits and Humanoid Monsters to wander their territory. (No Drow, please.)

I already know that the current King of the Mountain Dwarves has gotten "Dragon Fever",
and is forcing his subjects to mine ever deeper in search of "Treasure".
(This was a successful Curse placed on the King by a Duergar spy.)

I need History at (-500 years) for Twainsmeet Keep.
-----
Already have a Hobgoblin Warlord - but need a Name for the Hobgoblin Empire where he came from.

Also have an Orc Chief - but need a Name for the Orc Nation that he called home.

Need a name for a Tribe of Goblins with a "King".
(These are escapees from the Hobgoblin Empire.)

Need a Name for a Nation of Kobolds and a King - that are a constant problem for the Mt Dwarves.
----
I need History at (-1,000 and -2,000 years) for both the Moon Elves and Mountain Dwarves.

ngilop
2019-03-23, 05:26 PM
here is my suggestion for the goblins.

Night Seer tribe, so named for the great goblin prophet who lead them to freedom from the hobgoblins with is visions of the future and leadership.

The goblin king is named Grakt the Scarred. A red skinned goblin who fought a rabid massive owlbear and how fits the prophecy of the great goblin prophet of a warrior hero who would lead the goblins to a new home, a land of milk, honey, and silver and find them fast allies with old enemies.

I am thinking of the goblins managing to ally with the dwarves setting up shop on the land adjacent to them and becoming a thriving nation and trade partner with the dwarves.

Great Dragon
2019-03-23, 07:27 PM
here is my suggestion for the goblins.

Thanks!!

I will most likely use the Ironjaws Mountain Dwarven Clan that is the secret trade partner with these Goblins.

Great Dragon
2019-03-25, 03:08 AM
Coming right along. I'm not quite sure what you still need names for or help with.

Maybe you could condense what you're going to use in the first post, and what else is needed?

Also, perhaps this should be over in Worldbuilding? Seems more relevant over there, even if it is just a small part of the Realms built up in depth.

Ah, I tend to post things as I think of them, sorry.

Let me see: I wanted to make the area around the Old Keep (and the Keep itself) more interesting, and have it where there were a lot of Named Locations (usually Caves that each lead into Dungeon) with the various Monstrous Humanoid Tribes being Named (at least by themselves) with Unique Leaders.

Moving this to Worldbuilding might be the better Idea.
Done (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?584108-The-Old-Keep-(Take-Two)&p=23799276#post23799276)

Thanks again!!