PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom (Netflix series)

Giggling Ghast
2019-02-23, 03:34 PM
Just wanting to do my part to promote this South Korean zombie horror series set in medieval Korea. It’s a six-part series and Season 2 is apparently being shot right now.

What can you expect? Zombies, obviously, and that might turn you off. But rather than the slow shufflers of TWD, these are fast-moving undead who almost instantly turn their victims with a bite and which enter periods of complete rest.

Besides the swordsmen vs. zombies action scenes, the plot is focused on political intrigue, as the whole reason the outbreak starts is due to one clan attempting to hold on to power. It’s a surprisingly involving plot with surprisingly competent villains.

This is an Asian series, so you do have to accept that some characters will act in an extremely comical fashion for cheap laughs. (At least that’s been my experience with other Asian cinema.) And some of the English translations in the subtitles are kind of, well, s**t.

Otherwise, it’s absolutely worth a look. It’s a pretty solid 8/10.

JadedDM
2019-02-23, 04:22 PM
I finished it a couple of weeks ago. It was interesting. It could be predictable at times and it did a really poor job of telegraphing time skips (either forwards or backwards), but overall I enjoyed it.

I liked the idea of the tiger hunters. I did some research and they were a real thing, complete badasses who fought tigers with single-shot, short-ranged rifles. I might find a way to incorporate that into my D&D campaign some day.

Giggling Ghast
2019-02-23, 05:12 PM
I can’t speak to the historical accuracy of the series, but I also like the costumes. Boy, those Joseon Dynasty Koreans really loved hats.

The Jack
2019-02-23, 05:21 PM
Yeah those hats are amazing.

I gotta love the Koreans and their revealing of actors that must be big or something in Korea. You see them, the camera almost does this 'BEHOLD, WE HAVE SOM NU GUI' and you don't know who the devil they are.

General zombie complaint: They'd be well easy to deal with once you figure out you just need to do head or neck drama. Get on something high or behind something and kill them all then follow them when they run away.

Courtly intrigue complaint: They've set up some extremely obvious stuff.

BWR
2019-02-24, 02:33 PM
I enjoyed the first season. I'm not normally terribly fond of costume dramas and the only zombies I really like are Shaun of the Dead (or some of the Ravenloft zombies), but this show managed to make everything work.

random11
2019-03-07, 01:14 AM
Watched and enjoyed the show very much.

I do hope it lasts for another 1-2 seasons of this length and end with an actual ending.