PDA

View Full Version : Bardic Rage (Variant)

ObsidianRose
2007-09-27, 08:31 PM
Many a corpse has been found with blunt force from a horn, or perhaps shredded with painting knives. These are the victims of bardic rage, the men and women foolish enough to taunt an artist.

Bardic Rage (Ex):
Replaces all bard armor proficiencies, replaces inspire competence, gained at bard level 3

Whenever a bard is reduced to below 1 hit point/level, takes damage equal to 3 hit points/level in one blow, is exposed to any great deal of pain, or suffers great emotional loss, he can enter a bardic rage.

This rage begins immediately, as does a bard song. The rage lasts as long as the bard sings, up to one-half of the bard's total perform ranks. While the rage is in effect, the bard gains a +4 to Strength and Charisma, immunity to Fear and Charm effects, and immunity to sonic damage. When the rage ends, he takes 1 point of strength and charisma damage. If the rage was not ended voluntarily and conditions are still met to enter the rage, the bard can remain within the rage, and will take further drain after this.

TheLogman
2007-09-27, 08:44 PM
WHOA! Awesome. Very awesome, but it's broken man. It's too easy to enter this rage, too powerful, and is way too powerful to trade for paltry Armor Proficiencies. However, if you make it a Substitution level for bards, and find an equivalently powerful bardic ability, and replace it, you are picture perfect.

Possible levels to replace with this ability are level 3 (Inspire Competence), or level 9 (Inspire greatness). These would probably be in addition to losing Armor Proficiencies.

Very very cool man, very nice.

ObsidianRose
2007-09-27, 08:59 PM
Alright then, a change appears in order. Editting now.

Thanks for the advice. Anyone else got feedback?

Finerty
2007-09-27, 09:49 PM
The guns of alternative rock and mainstream emo have come to the dubious Eden of bard-dom.

Altharis
2007-09-27, 09:53 PM
Ooh! An ability that lets my Gruagach Lord Iames Osari Bard Redux Bard flip out! now for some criticism:

Half perform ranks? It feels wrong to me, and it goes on for multiple battles at high levels...
Immunity to sonic damage? Why so? Though you could keep it just for the fact that nobody uses sonic energy spells...as far as I know anyway.
It's inspire competence not inspire confidence.

Yes, i'm nitpicky, but I'm only this nitpicky to things I really like and want to see developed (or can't find fault with).

Cheers,
Altharis

ObsidianRose
2007-09-29, 09:30 AM
Alright, does anyone have an idea for a better duration than half your perform ranks? Because from my experience, my bardic rage lasts so long as I'm coherent enough to saying something pretty, and then I tend to calm down. A lot.