PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] And I will dance upon your grave...

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-09-27, 08:36 PM
Dullahan

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/ParadoxicalConundrum/headless.jpg

Medium Fey (Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 11d6+33 (71 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 17 (+2 dex, +5 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+6
Attack: Whip +8 melee (1d4 plus 1 Con damage)
Full Attack: Whip +8 melee (1d4 plus 1 Con damage)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Evil eye, headless, spell-like abilities, water into blood
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/gold or silver, dark of night, darkvision 120 ft., death watch, know no barriers, immunity to fear, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +9, Will +8
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 14, Con 17, Int 15, Wis 12, Cha 19
Skills: Bluff +18, Climb +15, Intimidate +18, Listen +15, Move Silently +16, Ride +16, Search +16, Spot +15
Feats: Ability focus (headless), Blind-Fight, Intimidating Strike (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Intimidating_Strike,PH2), Weapon Finesse(B), Weapon Focus (Whip)
Environment: Unseelie Court
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 7
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: -

This being appears at first as a man dressed in an exquisite suit and cloak all in black. There is no head upon its shoulders however, but is instead tucked beneath one arm. The head glows with a faint, unwholesome light of decaying matter and indeed its skin is the color and texture of stale dough or moldy cheese. An enormous, idiotic grin literally spreads from one pointed ear to the other. The eyes are enormous and noctural, though the pupils are tiny and dart about like crazed flies.

A dullahan is a bringer of death, a relentless being of cruelty who preys upon humanoids without pity and with a vicious amusement. They are the assassins of the Unseelie Court, going hither and thither, riding or running all night in search of one who has in some way insulted or even merely annoyed the court or a member. Just as often they kill only for the sake of killing, playing horrible, deadly games that may last for hours, but fortunately cannot last past daybreak.
They are most often found riding a horse which he has cut the head off and granted a temporary life. Blind and mute, it is wholey enslaved to its rider's whims to guide it. He rides the horse until it dies or the sun rises, whereupon the steed is finally granted death.

A dullahan speaks sylvan. They weigh the same as a standard human, though tend to be a head shorter than average.

Combat
A dullahan on an assassination mission usually kills the creature straight out if possible with it's finger of death, with only minimal play beforehand. Those it persues for sport can last all night, bleeding and frightening the creature until before dawn it is often quickly dispatched. Those that are particularly amusing however are allowed to live so that it can 'play' with them in the future.

A dullahan's weapon appears to be made from a human spine. It acts as a +1 wounding whip that deals lethal damage and can deal damage even to those with armor.

Dark of Night (Su): A dullahan fades away uponm exposure to the mortal's sun, instantly returning to the Unseelie Court. It may transport back to the Material Plane anytime during the night and cannot transport again until the next night. If kept from transporting, such as by an anti-magic field, the sunlight renders it blind for as long as it is exposed and for 1d4 minutes after.

Deathwatch (Su): A dullahan continuously senses how close a creature is to death as the Deathwatch spell. This ability extends out in a thousand foot cone.

Evil Eye (Su): If it wishes, anyone who meets a dullahan's gaze within 60 feet must succeed on a DC 19 fortitude save or go blind in one eye. They take a -4 penalty to appraise, craft, search, and spot checks and those flanking them gain a +4 bonus instead of the normal +2. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Headless (Su): A dullahan is immune to decapitation such as from a Vorpal weapon. The head cannot be focused for a sunder attempt while held, and anyone who touches it, such as snatching away the head with a disarm attempt, must succeed on a DC 21 will save or be struck instantly dead. Those who survive initial contact are immune to the deathly repercussions for as long as they hold it. If it is set down and then touched again they must make another save. This is a death affect. The save DC is Charisma-based.

If the head is destroyed the dullahan is not killed, but it can only hear and see and use its death watch ability wherever the head is located. The head has 10 hit points and a hardness of 5.

The dullahan must always have one hand free to hold its head. When a dullahan fades back at sun up the head fades as well and reunites with the body.

Unless a dullahan's head is destroyed after the main body is killed the creature rises back to life the next night.

Know No Barriers (Su): All non-magical doors and locks a dullahan wishes to pass through unlock and open automatically whenever he approaches within 20 feet. Magical doors and locks are also affected and effects such as arcane lock are dispelled if the caster level is less than the dullahan's HD.

Spell-like Abilities: Caster level 12th. Save DC's are Charisma-based.
1/day - Finger of Death (DC 22)
3/day - Bestow Curse (DC 18)

Water Into Blood (Ex): As a standard action a dullahan can convert 1 cubic foot, or eight gallons, of water into blood.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Headless Steed
A dullahan's steed has no intelligence score and is blind and deaf. For as long as the dullahan is in contact with it it can continue to run without taking damage, though still takes damage from being spurred to greater speeds, and moves as if sighted by his guiding. It can take no actions and has no initiative except for what the dullahan commands it to do.

The steed must be first killed by the dullahan and its head removed. If the dullahan beheads and mounts the creature within one minute it returns to a temporary life at full hit points.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-09-27, 08:37 PM
Dullahan, Gan Ceann

Medium Fey (Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 19d6+76 (142 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 25 (+4 dex, +11 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 21
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+11
Attack: Whip +16 melee (1d4+4/19-20x2 plus 1 Con damage)
Full Attack: Whip +16/+ melee (1d4+4/19-20x2 plus 1 Con damage)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Evil eye, fear aura, headless, sneak attack +6d6, spell-like abilities, water into blood
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/gold or silver, dark of night, darkvision 120 ft., death watch, know no barriers, immunity to fear, low-light vision, true seeing
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +18, Will +14
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 18, Con 19, Int 18, Wis 14, Cha 21
Skills: Balance +26, Bluff +27, Climb +24, Hide +26, Intimidate +27, Listen +24, Move Silently +26, Ride +26, Search +26, Spot +24
Feats: Ability focus (headless), Blind-Fight, Combat Expertise, Improved Critical (whip)(B), Improved Feint, Intimidating Strike (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Intimidating_Strike,PH2), Lightening Reflexes, Weapon Finesse(B), Weapon Focus (Whip)
Environment: Unseelie Court
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 14
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: -

A gan ceann is a lord amongst dullahan's, a great and terrible master of death and the bane of mortal kind. He is called to do his work when a lesser dullahan is somehow unable to kill his quarry or when an entire populace or its leader has insulted the Unseelie Court.

The gan ceann appear much as a normal dullahan, though its grin is grimmer and its eyes more crazed if possible. They tend to be seen driving a coach pulled by six black horses raving mad with terror.

A gan ceann dullahan speaks sylvan. They weigh the same as a standard human, though tend to be a head shorter than average.

Comba

A gan ceann dullahan's weapon appears to be made from a human spine. It acts as a +2 wounding whip that deals lethal damage and can deal damage even to those with armor. Those hit continue to bleed for 1d6 points of damage per round unless a DC 15 Heal check is made or are targeted by magical healing. Bleeding damage from multiple unhealed wounds stack.

Dark of Night (Su): A dullahan fades away upon exposure to the mortal's sun, instantly returning to the Unseelie Court. It may transport back to the Material Plane anytime during the night and cannot transport again until the next night. If kept from transporting, such as by an anti-magic field, the sunlight renders it blind for as long as it is exposed and for 1d4 minutes after.

Deathwatch (Su): A gan ceann dullahan continuously senses how close a creature is to death as the Deathwatch spell. This ability extends out in a thousand foot cone plus 100 feet for ever round it concentrates with no set limit.

Evil Eye (Su): If it wishes, anyone who meets a gan ceann dullahan's gaze within 60 feet must succeed on a DC 23 fortitude save or go permanently blind. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Fear Aura (Su): As a free action a gan ceann can cause all those within 20 feet to panic unless they succeed on a DC 23 will save. Those with 7 HD or less are shaken even if they make their save.

If it wishes, a gan ceann who successfully affects an animal with its aura can cause it to cower and become subservient out of sheer terror. This acts as the Dominate Animal spell except a gan ceann can command it to do suicidal or self-destructive acts. While dominated by the gan ceann the animal is immune to intimidation and fear-affects from other sources.

This is a mind-affecting fear effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Headless (Su): A dullahan is immune to decapitation such as from a Vorpal weapon. The head cannot be focused for a sunder attempt while held, and anyone who touches it, such as snatching away the head with a disarm attempt, must succeed on a DC 25 will save or be struck instantly dead. Those who survive initial contact are immune to the deathly repercussions for as long as they hold it. If it is set down and then touched again they must make another save. This is a death affect. The save DC is Charisma-based.

A gan ceann may attempt to snatch back the head with inhuman quickness if it is knocked out of its grasp with a weapon, making a free reflex save against the disarm attack. If the disarm attempt would have it end up in the opponent's grasp the gan ceann may make a disarm attempt itself as if it had the Improved Disarm feat. It may use these abilities even if it is not it's turn.

If the head is destroyed the dullahan is not killed, but it can only hear and see and use its death watch ability wherever the head is located. The head has 25 hit points and a hardness of 7.

The dullahan must always have one hand free to hold its head. When a dullahan fades back at sun up the head fades as well and reunites with the body.

Unless a dullahan's head is destroyed after the main body is killed the creature rises back to life the next night.

Know No Barriers (Su): All non-magical doors and locks a dullahan wishes to pass through unlock and open automatically whenever he approaches within 20 feet. Magical doors and locks are also affected and effects such as arcane lock are dispelled if the caster level is less than the gan ceann's HD.

Sneak Attack (Ex): 6d6 damage as Rogue's ability.

Spell-like Abilities: Caster level 12th. Save DC's are Charisma-based.
3/day - Bestow Curse (DC 19), Deeper Darkness, Finger of Death (DC 23)

True Seeing (Su): Gan ceann have a continuous true seeing ability, as the spell (caster level 19th).

Water Into Blood (Ex): As a standard action a gan ceann dullahan can convert 10 cubic feet, or eighty gallons, of water into blood.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Coach-A-Bower

The coach of the gan ceann is a thing of utter evil. It is made of some exquisite black wood whoes knots and whirls are a slightly lighter shade and to the imaginative mind appear much as screaming spirits. The inside is filled with mounds of chocking dust and rust. The door has a break DC of 35 and has an Arcane Lock enchantment upon it. It continuously produces complete silence out to 60 feet.

Any creature forced into the coach is affected as by the Phantasmal Killer spell if the gan ceann wishes. The remains and items of those who die within are reduced to dust within a day. The coach has room to seat any number of creatures despite its normal seeming size from without. Otherwise the enterior acts as an anti-magic field to mortal creature's magic.

All spells are as cast by a 19th level caster. The save DC's are Charisma-based with the coach having the equivalent of a Charisma of 18.

Beasts of burden can only be hitched to the coach-a-bower if they are mad with the terror produced by a gan ceann's fear aura and must be Medium or Large sized. Such beasts can move at a base speed of 200 feet and do not take any negative affects from prolonged running as long as they pull the coach. They still take damage from spurring.

When a gan ceann spurs his mounts to greater speeds all creatures and objects within 10 feet of where it passes must succeed on a DC 20 reflex save or catch on fire. The flame burns for 1d4 rounds, dealing 1d6 fire damage per round. A burning creature can take a move action to put out the flame.

Cogwheel
2007-09-27, 08:52 PM
My god, this is so spectacularly awesome, words cannot describe it. Tribble, I salute you and your monster-making skills. Since I have a feeling you would prefer constructive criticism (being a writer myself), here's the nearest thing...

Finger of death is nice, yes. I realize that it's not meant to fight in a 1v4 situation, but since it likely will, it should have a way to do decent damage to more than one member. To that end, I suggest you add some sort of negative energy damage SLAs, a sword of some sort (a whip is nice, yes, but not really a good primary weapon), or something else for the purpose.

Also, phantasmal killer would be appropriate for an SLA, no? Additionally, here's a munchkin-y idea: make it chuck its head at something. Yeah, might want to rule that out.

Lastly, ability focus (headless) cracked me up whether it was intended or not. "Yeah, I'm really good at not having a head, fear my expertise in the art that is being decapitated!"

Finerty
2007-09-27, 09:45 PM
Love the fluff and crunch of evil eye. Think I'll take that one blind eye as a flaw...
No, not for a bonus feat, except for the feat:
Justified Eyepatch [General]
You can wear an eyepatch and not look be an idiot.
Effect: You are justified in wearing an eyepatch, because one of your eyes is actually blind.
Normal: You are not justified in wearing an eyepatch. You look like an idiot.

JackMage666
2007-09-27, 09:57 PM
You're on a Fey kick, eh?

I like it, but one question - Why does the whip deal Con damage? Also, does it break Armor/Natural Armor? Perhaps it should be an innate weapon, like a Belors.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-09-28, 12:51 AM
Finger of death is nice, yes. I realize that it's not meant to fight in a 1v4 situation, but since it likely will, it should have a way to do decent damage to more than one member. To that end, I suggest you add some sort of negative energy damage SLAs, a sword of some sort (a whip is nice, yes, but not really a good primary weapon), or something else for the purpose.
Well, it's a a special whip, and that 1 point of con damage could easily deal more damage than any sword.

Also, phantasmal killer would be appropriate for an SLA, no? Additionally, here's a munchkin-y idea: make it chuck its head at something. Yeah, might want to rule that out.
Heh, yeah, this isn't the headless horseman and it'd probably want to protect its head. Suppose I could give it phantasmal killer... will think on it.

You're on a Fey kick, eh?
Well, have recently made two, so if thats a kick, sure thing.

I like it, but one question - Why does the whip deal Con damage?
"A dullahan's weapon appears to be made from a human spine. It acts as a +1 wounding whip that deals lethal damage and can deal damage even to those with armor."

Also, does it break Armor/Natural Armor? Perhaps it should be an innate weapon, like a Belors.
Had forgotten whips couldn't get through armor (which is dumb as that means your common dog is immune). Adjusted.

Cogwheel
2007-09-28, 01:44 AM
Well, I believe that's all. I'm tempted to make a bloodstorm blade Dullahan now, though. Why? 'Cause it would be munchkined up, and you get to play pinball (with added death effects) with your own head. Yeah, that would rock:smallbiggrin:.

Oh, and I just noticed - 17 AC makes it a rather easy target.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-09-28, 10:56 AM
Ok folks, you thought the Dullahan was bad? Check out the Gan Ceann Dullahan...

Oh, and I just noticed - 17 AC makes it a rather easy target.
Yeah, working on it.

Cogwheel
2007-09-28, 11:32 AM
And I thought it couldn't get any better/worse... geez, I'm going to have nightmares for weeks now...

Anyway, tribble, you've outdone yourself (thumbs up), keep up the good work!

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-10-31, 07:20 AM
And I thought it couldn't get any better/worse... geez, I'm going to have nightmares for weeks now...
My work then is done...

littlechicory
2007-10-31, 12:07 PM
Yes. YES. GOD YES.

I was SOOOO upset that the creatures from Irish mythology presented in the Monster Manuals were borked so badly (the MM2 banshee, for instance-- the very name 'banshee' comes from 'bean-Sidhe'-- 'woman of the fae'. WHY IS THE MM2 BANSHEE AN UNDEAD?).

So seeing a well-done, respectable dullahan-- by the amazing Vorpal Tribble, natch-- just made my day.

PS: May I request a proper fey banshee, please?