PDA

View Full Version : Leveling Advice

duskmon13
2019-02-23, 11:56 PM
I'm in a campaign right now that we've been told will only go up to level 10, and I'm trying to figure out where to spend the rest of my remaining levels. For context, we just hit level 6, I'm playing a revised ranger, I rolled good stats to start with (18, 18, 17, 13, 10, 8), so my main stat is already maxed, and for my level 4 feat I took sharpshooter.

What I'm trying to decide is if I should multi-class or not. The remaining ranger stuff isn't that appealing to me honestly, the only thing I'd be interested in is getting 3rd level spells at level 9. But I'm not sure if those 1 or 2 spells I'd get would be worth it. I've considered taking three levels of rogue (scout) or fighter (battlemaster). Does anyone have any advice/opinions?

CTurbo
2019-02-24, 12:02 AM
Which Ranger subclass? Hunter? Gloom Stalker?

Either Fighter or Rogue would fit nicely. It just depends on what you're wanting. I probably would have NOT taken a 6th Ranger level and instead multiclassed right after Ranger 5.

duskmon13
2019-02-24, 12:06 AM
I took the Hunter conclave. And yeah, I considered not taking a 6th level, but we've got a lot of a specific type of enemy and I wanted the extra damage/advantage on saves from greater favored enemy. As for what I'm looking for, mostly to do more damage which I know I could get from both fighter and rogue, but I think the extra utility from rogue would be really useful in combat as well.

CTurbo
2019-02-24, 12:27 AM
How good is your Wis score? I'd consider a single level of War Cleric if you have a high Wis, but other than that 3 levels of Scout Rogue would be great.

So Ranger 6/Cleric 1/Rogue 3

duskmon13
2019-02-24, 12:34 AM
It's not bad, 18 right now. That sounds like a good plan. Thanks for the advice.

djreynolds
2019-02-24, 01:25 PM
So you took archery and sharpshooter

Do you get into melee? Is you strength also an 18?

Citan
2019-02-24, 06:18 PM
I'm in a campaign right now that we've been told will only go up to level 10, and I'm trying to figure out where to spend the rest of my remaining levels. For context, we just hit level 6, I'm playing a revised ranger, I rolled good stats to start with (18, 18, 17, 13, 10, 8), so my main stat is already maxed, and for my level 4 feat I took sharpshooter.

What I'm trying to decide is if I should multi-class or not. The remaining ranger stuff isn't that appealing to me honestly, the only thing I'd be interested in is getting 3rd level spells at level 9. But I'm not sure if those 1 or 2 spells I'd get would be worth it. I've considered taking three levels of rogue (scout) or fighter (battlemaster). Does anyone have any advice/opinions?
Hi!

Well...

First, I'd ask you to consider if even level 3 spells are not interesting enough to you to justify it solely. After all, you get Plant Growth (to pick enemies one by one easy) and Conjure Animals (great and versatile spell).
Also, on the way there, you can grab another feat: Warcaster, Observant (even if +1 is wasted), racial feat, Prodigy feat, Ritual Caster feat, as well as the obvious Crossbow Expert, are all worthy.

If you are decidedly not interested...
1. Trickery Cleric: if you'd like to fight mid-range and aren't usually using concentration spell like Hunter's Mark, using the duplicate to get advantage against tough guy can be really useful.
Forge would be nice if you were going up to 5 for Elemental Weapon notably.
Knowledge is always an option for skillmonkeying.
War can be decent for its channel divinity as somewhat alternative to Precision Manoeuver of Battlemaster.

2. Shepherd Druid or Land Druid: interesting buffs like Longstrider and Healing Spirit (so you can help allies while still dealing damage), Spike Growth as an alternative to bother enemies, Wild Shape to get into the best sniping position, more slots, ritual casting... It's the natural complement to Ranger. Moon Druid is fitting only if you really want to play as much as possible with Wild Shape (but then it may be better to actually wait and play a regular Moon Druid in another campaign ;)).

3. Thief or Arcane Trickster Rogue: obvious synergy here too: Hide as bonus action to pair with a Fog Cloud, Expertise which is always helpful, plus either item as bonus action or Shield + Invisible Mage Hand.

4. Battlemaster Fighter: for when you really need to land that hit (Arcane Archer should probably be a good fit too but AFB).

Monk is sadly out because you went full archery, and even Dodge as bonus action and extra movement is not worth that kind of investment.
Barb could be actually an interesting choice if you were ready to adapt character to fit it (like when cornered guy goes into instinctive, primitive fury, that's why he wanted to go ranged, avoiding trouble as possible XD), with that extra resilience, great Unarmored AC -good for stealth too- and Danger Sense to get extra good at avoiding AOE or some traps.

In your place, my natural choice would be Druid considering the following...
1. You are a true archer (considering Sharpshooter but not Crossbow Expert and no indication you're interested in it).
2. You already have several interesting concentration spells that are as useful as Bless for you only (of course Bless can affect several allies) from Ranger already.
As a result of the two first points, you should have little use for iconic Cleric buffs (like Shield of Faith which is better for melee with little concentration uses, or Sanctuary which is great mainly for emergencies -and you probably keep out of trouble most of the time). And Spirit Guardians is not worth the cast as an emergency spell, especially considering your low WIS (you put stats in attribute order right?).
As for Channel Divinities, none is really *that* interesting for you except those niche ones suggested above, but I'm not convinced it's your schtick (and Tempest is out because you'll never reach level 11).
3. You seem to have an interest into spellcasting though -> Druid has the best intrisical versatility, and with a nice DM, you could even retrain lvl 2 Ranger spells once you get those as Druid 3: Longstrider, Faerie Fire, Speak With Animals, Thunderwave, Fog Cloud, Heat metal, Healing Words, Enhance Ability, Spike Growth, Silence (if Land), Warding Wind, Ice Spike... Plenty of choices.
4. Wild Shape is a whole class in itself: you can use it to get burrowing speed, climbing speed, get by as an innocent-looking cat/rat, run from danger as an Elk, etc...

With that said, nothing prevents you from planning tri-class or even more.
For example...
Trickery 2 / Rogue 2: master of spying and distractions.
Life Cleric 1 / Shepherd Druid 3: master of keeping party alive and sound: Life Goodberries + Life Healing Spirit + Shepherd Aura + Lesser Restoration.
War Cleric 1 / Bear Barbarian 3: monster of resilience to stand strong whatever number of enemy archers/casters are targeting you.
Trickery 2 / Shepherd Druid 2: help friends with "Distant" spells like Healing Words or Earth Tremor while you keep away at a comfortable 150+ feet away from the frontline.