PDA

View Full Version : Son of the Half-Demon God

Suteinu
2019-02-24, 12:58 AM
In 3.5, thanks to some Sorcerer variant shenanigans from a couple of issues of Dragon Magazine, I was able to build a pretty neat player character who was a descendant of Iuz (Greyhawk setting.) I have a few ideas for rebuilding him in 5e, but nothing really seems to hit the spot, so I'm curious how some of you might go about it.

I am still trying to catch up with all the supplements at large, so of you come up with something outside of the PHB, please make a note of it. Thanks, Giants!

PhantomSoul
2019-02-24, 01:11 AM
For those who don't know your old character and its playstyle/fluff and/or the sorcerer variant and/or Iuz, what is the concept and what sorts of flavour and mechanics are you trying to replicate?

Suteinu
2019-02-24, 01:23 AM
The character, Vooril the Bastard, is a human descendant of Iuz, a half-demon tyrant who attained godhood. Vooril wants to overthrow Iuz and take his place. He was built as a Sorcerer, with a variant and feats that allowed him to draw magic from demonic realms. I saw his power as half inherited, half stolen. Cunning and charismatic, he had by 5th level begun to build a cult to himself in the City of Greyhawk, only a dozen or so followers, but enough to maybe justify taking the Leadership feat by 6th level.

He tended toward spells that emulated fiery or otherworldly powers, emotion/ mind manipulation, and buffing.

Vorpalchicken
2019-02-24, 02:11 AM
You could perhaps reflavour a tiefling, maybe one of the variants (Fierna (Mordenkainen's) or Devil's Tongue (SCAG)) for built-in charm. Probably a draconic sorcerer is the best fit for your abilities. I would avoid multi classing if you want to be decent at your class. If your DM is a softy or worse you are the DM you could add in a half dragon template from the monster manual for more resistance and a breath weapon (reflavoured as a demonic blast maybe?)
If you are trying to cover all the demon resistances, there is a Tiefling racial feat that can add poison and cold to tiefling fire resistance (you can get acid from half dragon and lightning from Dragon sorcerer.)
If demonic resistance isn't a top priority then you could scrap Tiefling and take the "oh-so-popular-with-DMs" Yuan Ti Pureblood (Volo's guide) for overpowered racial abilities. You even get to speak Abyssal .
Feats are precious things. You'll only get a max of five if you even reach top level, and only by sacrificing ability score increases so you can't take em willy-nilly.
BTW in case this isn't clear, only very permissive DMs allow Yuan Ti and very few allow half-dragons so make sure you bring pizza.

Particle_Man
2019-02-24, 02:51 AM
Divine Soul Sorcerer (no one said the god you get your power from has to be a GOOD god) comes to mind. Just refluff the angelic birdy wings as demonic batwings.

Frankly, Warlock (fiend patron) also comes to mind.

And you could have both! I believe that sorcerer/warlock multi-classes are said to be powerful (assuming you can turn warlock spells into sorcerer spell points, which then can be turned into sorcerer spells - also Eldritch Blast is the best cantrip for damage).

Asmotherion
2019-02-24, 04:46 AM
it does sound simple enough; Tiefling Divine Soul Sorcerer.

dave2008
2019-02-24, 07:01 AM
In 3.5, thanks to some Sorcerer variant shenanigans from a couple of issues of Dragon Magazine, I was able to build a pretty neat player character who was a descendant of Iuz (Greyhawk setting.) I have a few ideas for rebuilding him in 5e, but nothing really seems to hit the spot, so I'm curious how some of you might go about it.

I am still trying to catch up with all the supplements at large, so of you come up with something outside of the PHB, please make a note of it. Thanks, Giants!

I would start with a Teifling and look at the sub-races in MToF. Also, since Iuz has demonic heritage you might also want to look at the demonic boons also in MToF. Technically for NPCs, but might give you some ideas to talk to your DM about.

JackPhoenix
2019-02-24, 07:09 AM
Divine Soul Sorcerer (no one said the god you get your power from has to be a GOOD god) comes to mind. Just refluff the angelic birdy wings as demonic batwings.

And the rules directly give you an option to choose evil source of magic. And there's no need to refluff anything, bat wings are explicitly a default for DS with evil or chaotic sources.