PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Kasatha Bow Nomad, Focus Fire and Multishot questions

Warlawk
2019-02-24, 05:15 AM
So I just want to see if my understanding of this ability is clear, the way its written just isn't clear to me, though it is late and that could be part of the issue.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo-ranger-archetypes/bow-nomad-kasatha-ranger-archetype

Focused Fire (Ex)

At 6th level, the bow nomad must select the Manyshot feat as her 6th-level combat style feat. In addition to the normal benefit of Manyshot, the bow nomad can specify the bow in her off hands as the source of the second arrow (precision damage and critical damage are still only added once). The bow nomad takes no two-weapon penalties when using this ability, but she cannot use it and Two-Weapon Fighting in the same round. The nomad can still choose to use Manyshot in the normal manner.

At 11th and 16th level, the bow nomad can apply this ability to each of her iterative attacks.

They can TWF with bows from their level 1 ability, but take -4/-4 since this is not using a light weapon in the offhand. The wording of Focus Fire looks to me like on a full attack you would get your full attack bonus, 2 hits from Manyshot and then a second attack at -5. So +6(two hits)/+1 for a total potential of 3 arrows. TWF would gain an extra second attack but they would all take -4, so +2/+2/-3/-3. Is this correct in that you are choosing between accuracy vs an extra attack on this?

Second part of the question would be in regards to iteratives in the last line.

At 11th and 16th level, the bow nomad can apply this ability to each of her iterative attacks.
First it specifies 11th and 16th, but then goes on to state they can use it on "each of their iterative attacks". Seems oddly worded, one interpretation seems to state that you can multishot on each and every iterative, so +16(MS)/+11(MS)/+6(MS)/+1(MS). While the other makes little sense but follows the indicator that the extra multishot attacks only apply on the iterative attacks from levels 11 and 16 so you would end up with a fragmented attack routine of +16(MS)/+11/+6(MS)/+1(MS) since the wording indicates the MS attack applies on your first attack, and then your third and fourth iterative attacks.

Anyone have thoughts? Or am I just really tired and over complicating this?

grarrrg
2019-02-24, 06:04 AM
It does indeed look like Focused Fire is an "accuracy vs. quantity" trade-off.

The "11th and 16th" bit I'm leaning towards "it works on ALL Iteratives you have starting at 11, and level 16 does nothing (other than likely adding another Iterative to double).

The designers seem to have a strong burning desire to have ALL archetype write-ups be "even trades" at all costs. You give up Camouflage and Hide in Plain Sight, which happen at level 12/17, so therefore you _MUST_ "get a bonus" at same/similar level...even if that bonus isn't really quite an actual thing.

Overall, you can ignore TWF-feats entirely and just use the Focused Fire ability to get a similar number of attacks with virtually no feat investment.
The downside being that you must 'double up' your attacks on your targets, whereas TWF lets you spread them out a bit more.