PDA

View Full Version : Tiny creature damage

Iampower
2019-02-24, 05:40 AM
Need advice on how damage for tiny creatures is calculated.

I know i just need to use whatever the statblock says. But i noticed that tiny creatures just do plain 1 damage regardless of the ability that was used.

For example. The hawk has a +5 to hit. This means that it has a proficiency bonus of +2, and it's attack used dex since it has -3 for str. Is there a reason NOT to add the dex mod to the damage anyway? It doesnt seem too gamebreaking but i could be wrong.

Gastronomie
2019-02-24, 05:45 AM
Need advice on how damage for tiny creatures is calculated.

I know i just need to use whatever the statblock says. But i noticed that tiny creatures just do plain 1 damage regardless of the ability that was used.

For example. The hawk has a +5 to hit. This means that it has a proficiency bonus of +2, and it's attack used dex since it has -3 for str. Is there a reason NOT to add the dex mod to the damage anyway? It doesnt seem too gamebreaking but i could be wrong.That probably has more to do with the CR rating, not the size of the creature.

No rule disallows the DM from using DEX for the attack rolls and damage of a tiny creature.

Theodoric
2019-02-24, 06:01 AM
It's just a convention, IIRC. There are no hard rules in 5e for how different sizes work. Monster stats don't really have to relate to to their abilities at all, even.

No brains
2019-02-24, 06:11 AM
The DMG has guidelines for creatures damage based on challenge. While it's not quite a guideline for size and damage, it does give you an idea for how much damage a normal tiny animal at challenge 0 should do.

You could throw this out the window if you want though. An Al-miraj is a tiny challenge 0 uni-bunny that can hit with its horn for up to 7 damage, taking down wizard PCs in one shot.

Jcp1195
2019-02-24, 07:15 AM
If you’re the DM it’s fully up to you how you want to rule Tiny Damage. The DMG itself says any Final Say on rules in the book goes to the DM so you can do what you want, how you want, when you want, so if you think a hawk deserves that +3 to Damage then go for it.

Like the others said though, it is tied to Challenge Rating. If you look in Vollo’s Guide to Monsters you’ll find a creature called a Quickling, a Tiny Fey with a 23 Dexterity. It’s a challenge 1 with 10 (Average) Hp, but it can make Three 1d4+6 Dagger attacks per turn and all attacks against it have Disadvantage.

It’s a one-hit for most level one Characters but still a deadly foe, and significantly moreso than a Challenge 0 Hawk despite their shared size. So, it’s entirely up to how you want to play around with Tiny creatures.

Iampower
2019-02-24, 11:27 AM
But the flying snake has only one peircing damage too. But i get the point i suppose. Ill just add the +damage then, seems unfair not to have monsters have it. Just need to keep the (possibly) higher cr in mind.