PDA

View Full Version : What room in a dungeon that moves through time?

Princesse
2019-02-24, 08:13 PM
Hi everyone,
Maybe a couple of you saw my post a couple days ago about my time dungeon, maybe you've helped, if so thank you again! If not it's pretty simple. My group are going into a temple where they will be stuck in time. Half the group would be several thousand years in the past and the other half would be several thousand years in the future.
The group will have to find McGuffin stuck all around the dungeons. What i think could be cool is if the Past group needs to do specific things in order to help the Future group unlock the McGuffin.
I need your help to find puzzles and such for the dungeon. Here's a few examples:

In the past, the floor is muddy and clean, there is a room at the opposite side of the room. In the future, the room is full of vegetation and a big tree blocks the way to the back room. The Past people need to unearth a seed so the tree never grew and they can pass
In the corridor, there is a strong bridge but in the future it crumbled and fell.
The entrance to a room has also crumbled, the Past group needs to do something to reinforce it so the Future group can pass.
In the middle of the room there is the McGuffin into a big treasure. There is ghost protecting it. One group is under the effect of Slow and the other under the effect of Haste, the monsters are unaffected. The monsters are present in both timelines and act as both group would be in the same room (as they are, they are just in different time but the ghost can see both at the same time)
A long corridor with the Mcguffin on the other side of it. Every 5 steps the players are affected by a temporary aging effect ( maybe 1d10 years) which hurts them while also aging them. The player can die from old age if they exceed the normal lifespan of their race. The effect is reverted when they leave the room.

So what do you guys think? Thanks for your help!

Shuruke
2019-02-24, 10:25 PM
My idea of this would be treat it like the magic tree house series but dungeon

Every time you got to different level the time period of the dungeon changes
Ie same latitude same longitude different time

Have it be warm and tropical at one point

Then militarized (Roman orcs?)

Then back for ice age (saber tooth, or thugs re flavored as club using Neanderthals )

Then forward to the apocalypse that will Happen 15 years after when they entered dungeon if they don't take care of bbeg (book written about the big thing that happens and yadda yadda)

For the mcguffin id make it so that passing certain skill checks in past grants advantage for people in future

Sly notes

Succeding on making corridor last through a threat etc

Shuruke
2019-02-24, 10:29 PM
Just to ask do u have a way they are gonna be able to communicate or know the potential future problem for room

MrStabby
2019-02-25, 02:45 AM
There was an old RPG - day of the tentacle, if you can look that up it has lots of puzzles like this. It may be of interest.

Sjappo
2019-02-25, 08:17 AM
It seems that the past group is getting all the fun, and the future group all the exploring. What about this.

It's all one group. They failed the dungeon. They found a time machine and went to the past dungeon. They're they can fix what stopped them first in the future dungeon, ie the tree. They fix that. Their memories of the future change because of that. Let then play some piece in the future till again stuck. Switch to past, solve puzzle. Until the dungeon is solved.

So the future character are in the past solving puzzles for their past selves in the future

If that makes sense.

Edit: fixed some typos due to phone typing.

Princesse
2019-02-25, 08:47 AM
Just to ask do u have a way they are gonna be able to communicate or know the potential future problem for room
Yes i thought for the convinience of it, when they are in the same room they hear the other group in echo.

It seems that the post group is getting all the fun, and the future group all the exploring. What about this.

It's all one group. The failed the dungeon. They found a time machine and went to the past dungeon. They're they can fix what stopped them first in the future dungeon, ie the tree. They fix that. Their memories of the future change because of that. Let then last some piece in the future till again stuck. Switch to past, solve puzzle. Until the dungeon is solved.

So the future character are in the past solving puzzles for their past selves in the future
This makes sense. I still feel that even for the future, they still gonna have to help the past with the puzzles. Splitting the group is super dangerous i thought it was the perfect time to do it but yeah, your idea is also cool.

My idea of this would be treat it like the magic tree house series but dungeon

Every time you got to different level the time period of the dungeon changes
Ie same latitude same longitude different time

Have it be warm and tropical at one point

Then militarized (Roman orcs?)

Then back for ice age (saber tooth, or thugs re flavored as club using Neanderthals )

Then forward to the apocalypse that will Happen 15 years after when they entered dungeon if they don't take care of bbeg (book written about the big thing that happens and yadda yadda)

For the mcguffin id make it so that passing certain skill checks in past grants advantage for people in future

Sly notes

Succeding on making corridor last through a threat etc
This is also very cool and gives me a lot of ideas for rooms, thanks!

There was an old RPG - day of the tentacle, if you can look that up it has lots of puzzles like this. It may be of interest.

I'll try to find in on the internet! Thank you :)

Sjappo
2019-02-25, 03:53 PM
This makes sense. I still feel that even for the future, they still gonna have to help the past with the puzzles. Splitting the group is super dangerous i thought it was the perfect time to do it but yeah, your idea is also cool.

It basically becomes one big feedback loop. Suppose the characters in the past fix something that allows the in the future characters to make some progress. They could then discover something, like a key, which could help the characters in the past navigate an obstacle that got them stuck. Since the characters in the past are in fact the future characters things like a key, or any other item, would just show up in their inventory.

I’m going to steal this, this is awesome.

Looper might be a good movie to watch for inspiration. Or Edge of Tomorrow. Or Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure.

Princesse
2019-02-25, 04:35 PM
That is definitly true! Love the loop thing! And i've seen all those movies haha