PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Lich

Redhood101
2019-02-24, 09:30 PM
I’m making a new champion and I have already decided on the concept for my big bad. But have no idea how to actually make him in the system. The concept is that he was a king that was a great warrior but was obsessed with magic and was able become immortal through a deal with a demon. So he follows the same idea as a Lich. When he died he is just reborn and goes back to what he was doing.
He has loads of magical swag that give him massive boasts and abilities. My question is does anything like this already exsist? If not does anyone have advice? I’ve never run a full campaign before and would appreciate some help.

Malifice
2019-02-24, 09:50 PM
I’m making a new champion and I have already decided on the concept for my big bad. But have no idea how to actually make him in the system. The concept is that he was a king that was a great warrior but was obsessed with magic and was able become immortal through a deal with a demon. So he follows the same idea as a Lich. When he died he is just reborn and goes back to what he was doing.
He has loads of magical swag that give him massive boasts and abilities. My question is does anything like this already exsist? If not does anyone have advice? I’ve never run a full campaign before and would appreciate some help.

A Death knight sounds pretty appropriate.

Simply mix up the Spellcasting trait swapping him from a 20th level Paladin caster to a 20th level Sorcerer caster.

Death knights get a lot of DPR from spamming Paladin Smite spells, but you could simply give him the Lich Spellcasting trait (keyed to Charisma instead of Intelligence) reduce his Spells known to match what a 20th level Sorcerer would know (6 Cantrips/ 20 spells), and then give him the following trait:

Unholy Smite: Once per turn, when the BBEG hits a creature with a melee weapon attack, it can expend one spell slot to deal Necrotic damage to the target, in addition to the weapon's damage. The extra damage is 2d8 for a 1st-level spell slot, plus 1d8 for each spell-level higher than 1st, to a maximum of 5d8.

From there, give him the Liches Legendary action to cast a Cantrip as a legendary action (dont forget to give him Booming/ Greenflame blade as a cantrip, and Blade Ward).

For spells, Misty step is a must (it gets you around being locked down with Forcecage and Wall of Force). Counterspell also is good value.

His CR is probably around 24, so dont forget to increase all saves, attack rolls, save DCs, skills and Parry bonus by +1

dejarnjc
2019-02-24, 09:54 PM
Oathbreaker Paladin might be a good one too.

Ganymede
2019-02-24, 10:04 PM

Generally speaking, you build NPCs by taking something similar (like a regular lich) and then adding and subtracting abilities in order to get what you want. It sounds like you could give some unique weapons and attacks to a lich and be most of the way there.

If you want an example of how to do this, look at how Acererak is customized and tricked out in the Tomb of Annihilation adventure.

JackPhoenix
2019-02-24, 11:16 PM
What CR are you looking for?

BigPixie
2019-02-25, 08:59 AM
Or Make the ultimate Champion—...

THE FLUMPH!:smallbiggrin: