PDA

View Full Version : Creepy/Horror Child - Bard of Whispers

Remover of Obst
2019-02-24, 09:38 PM
So I got in my head this idea for "Shining Girl/Annie from League of Legends" character as a Whisper Bard.

I am thinking about taking Greater Steed and Haste for Magical Secrets at level 10. This would give me a Tibbers-ish dire wolf or tiger and an easier way to get in Psychic Blades each turn...(dagger, hand axe or heavy crossbow?).

So for performing I was originally thinking harp, but what about a ventriloquist? Any DM out there that would allow that? With a dummy/puppet to match the Greater Steed choice.

Looks like lots of bard spells fit the theme.

Maybe round them out with Variant Human for Magic Initiate to get Chill Touch, Toll the Dead (Green Flame Blade?), and Hex.

So....
1. I am looking other horror genre fitting ideas to flush out this character build. Please help me out if you can think of some other spells or feats that would fit better.

2. Also looking for names along the Annabelle spectrum.

Thank you in advance.

Quoz
2019-02-25, 02:28 PM
If going for creep factor, great old one warlock is a great theme. Telepathy from level one, minor illusion, hex, and many other great abilities. Tome or chain pact both have great invocations as well.

A ghostwise halfling monk could also play well to this theme, especially if you're starting at high enough level to be walking on walls. Shadow monk is probably the most on point but a reskinned drunken master, with their uncanny ability to make you stab your friends when you try to attack them, might be the best option.

stoutstien
2019-02-25, 07:35 PM
So I got in my head this idea for "Shining Girl/Annie from League of Legends" character as a Whisper Bard.

I am thinking about taking Greater Steed and Haste for Magical Secrets at level 10. This would give me a Tibbers-ish dire wolf or tiger and an easier way to get in Psychic Blades each turn...(dagger, hand axe or heavy crossbow?).

So for performing I was originally thinking harp, but what about a ventriloquist? Any DM out there that would allow that? With a dummy/puppet to match the Greater Steed choice.

Looks like lots of bard spells fit the theme.

Maybe round them out with Variant Human for Magic Initiate to get Chill Touch, Toll the Dead (Green Flame Blade?), and Hex.

So....
1. I am looking other horror genre fitting ideas to flush out this character build. Please help me out if you can think of some other spells or feats that would fit better.

2. Also looking for names along the Annabelle spectrum.

Thank you in advance.

must have item- talking doll from Xans

Remover of Obst
2019-02-25, 09:24 PM
If going for creep factor, great old one warlock is a great theme. Telepathy from level one, minor illusion, hex, and many other great abilities. Tome or chain pact both have great invocations as well.

Warlock 3 could get me Spider Climb as well...

I like it.

Armor of Shadows
You can cast Mage Armor on yourself at will, without expending a spell slot or material components.

Aspect of the Moon
Prerequisite: Pact of the Tome feature
You no longer need to sleep and can’t be forced to sleep by any means. To gain the benefits of a long rest, you can spend all 8 hours doing light activity, such as reading your Book of Shadows and keeping watch.

Book of Ancient Secrets
Prerequisite: Pact of the Tome feature
You can now inscribe magical rituals in your Book of Shadows. Choose two 1st-level spells that have the ritual tag from any class's spell list; these rituals needn’t be from the same spell list. The spells appear in the book and don't count against the number of spells you know. With your Book of Shadows in hand, you can cast the chosen spells as rituals. You can't cast the spells except as rituals, unless you've learned them by some other means. You can also cast a warlock spell you know as a ritual if it has the ritual tag.

On your adventures, you can add other ritual spells to your Book of Shadows. When you find such a spell, you can add it to the book if the spell's level is equal to or less than half your warlock level (rounded up) and if you can spare the time to transcribe the spell. For each level of the spell, the transcription process takes 2 hours and costs 50 gp for the rare inks needed to inscribe it.

Devil's Sight
You can see normally in darkness, both magical and nonmagical, to a distance of 120 feet.

Fiendish Vigor
You can cast False Life on yourself at will as a 1st-level spell, without expending a spell slot or material components.

Improved Pact Weapon
Prerequisite: Pact of the Blade feature
You can use any weapon you summon with your Pact of the Blade feature as a spellcasting focus for your warlock spells.

In addition, the weapon gains a +1 bonus to its attack and damage rolls, unless it is a magic weapon that already has a bonus to those rolls.

Rusvul
2019-02-25, 10:27 PM
I played a little girl partially possessed by a fey-spirit once. She got lost in the woods as a toddler and wandered into the feywild, it found her and helped her survive. Her friend lived in her left eye, which she always kept closed. She was just an eight-year-old girl, but she'd let the spirit take control sometimes to protect her. When she cast spells, she'd close her right eye and open her left, letting her friend take control for a moment. I also played up the "raised in the feywild without other humans" side: didn't understand money, couldn't comprehend why cannibalism wasn't okay, slept on the floor, etc. I thought it would be fun to take a very horror-y aesthetic and twist it into something more innocent (the spirit was benevolent, the girl was just a girl), but I still took every opportunity to creep the party out. It worked.

Mechanically, she was a Bard with a Warlock dip. (Party lacked damage, and feyfire obliterating things fit the aesthetic I wanted.) Spells like Dissonant Whispers and Phantasmal Force are your friend: stare at someone and they start freaking out. Faerie Fire also worked great for me, but it might not fit your character so well.

Oh, and her name was Ophelia. I thought it worked really well.

Vogie
2019-02-26, 12:47 PM
I'd talk with the DM to see if they'd allow you to perform with a marionette. If not, 3 levels of warlock will give you a Sprite familiar that you can carry around like a doll. Using Voice of the Chain Master, you can even speak through it. If you don't want to go GOO, the first level Archfey ability would certainly work.

Phantasmal Force will be your go-to damage spell as a combat-nightmare at low levels

The Dominate spells, Telekinesis, and later, Maze would be great spell pick-ups. At high levels

Another MC option would include a dip into Divine Soul Sorc. You'd be able to pick up Mage Armor, free Bless or Inflict Wounds, and Catapult plus cleric first level spells and Cantrips, which can be quite eerie (I'm looking at you, Thaumaturgy & Toll the Dead). If you get to 3 levels in either this or warlock, you also have access to Shadow Blade as well.