PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder First Time Player - Cleric Build Advice

Luincale
2019-02-25, 12:49 AM
Hey everyone! This is my first post here and my first game ever (aside from a couple hours of play with a barbarian to get the feel, etc.). Now I've been invited to create a true character and jump in. I'm looking for...

1. Advice on ensuring optimization is happening with this build
2. Alternative healing builds with similar flavor

...to make sure I build a fun, but impactful character for my team.

Team Dynamics: Primary Healer (I didn't see anyone heal during their last couple hours of play so I'm guessing I need to be a capable healer/condition remover for in-combat and out-of-combat situations. They are losing their current cleric, which is why I'm joining in. At first, I didn't think I would enjoy a cleric, but the more I looked into the class, the more they seemed like Tolkien-esque style wizards and that's really appealing to me.

Character Flavor: The character I've started to mesh with is a follower of Sarenrae. Neutral Good. With a focus on fire flavor. His backstory involved a lot of fire drama including losing his parents to being burned alive during the Night of Ashes in Kintargo and that he was "put to death" for a crime in a lawful evil (Cheliax) locale (by fire, of course)and instead of burning up, was sorta contacted by Sunlord Thalachos and called to Sarenrae's service. I'd like to have a almost dervish style character that uses a scimitar and fire as his main combat style while being a competent healer for in-battle needs. Channeling drew my attention at first, but mechanically I'm kinda let down by its potential now. I was envisioning a sorta channel energy pusher that slices and dices as he does so,lol. Yes, I HAVE read that healing should happen via potions and Wands of CLW between fights, but the GM gave me the impression they do need in-combat healing, so I don't want to let my team down.

My Flavor: I have RPed wizards on old style free RP forum style sites. It's my thing,lol. I like it. This is my answer to a sword and staff badass wizard and fights for what he believes in and wishes to stand against evil for the good of the people, yada yada. Also, was very tempted to go Angelic Blood, Angelic Wings, etc....but geez with the feat costs!

Other Notes: The weapons, equipment,and armor shown are based on the GM, fyi. I also am getting a staff of healing thrown in for good measure. Finally, as a house rule, I do also have access to the Healing Domain (that's three domains).

LACHLIN KHALEEM
Male Cleric 8
NG Medium Aasimar / Outsider (Native)
<<Init>> +3; <<Senses>> Perception +10, Darkvision 60 ft
------------------
DEFENSE
------------------
<<AC>> 20, touch 13, flat-footed 17 (+7 armor, +3 dex)
<<hp>> 94 (8d8+31)
<<ER>> Acid 5, Cold 5, Electricity 5 <<Fort>> +9, <<Ref>> +5, <<Will>> +11
<<Armor >> Mithral Fortification (Light) Breastplate (Agile) +1, Light, 25% miss on critical hits
<<Defensive Abilities>> Aasimar Resistance (PFBty 7)
------------------
OFFENSE
------------------
<<Spd>> 30 ft/x4
<<Melee>> Keen Flaming Scimitar +2 +13/+8 (1d6+3 [+1d6 FIRE]) 15-20/x2 CM +2; [1HD]; [M]
<<Melee>> Melee Dagger +7/+2 (1d4+1) 19-20/x2
<<Ranged>> Thrown Dagger +9/+4 (1d4+1) 19-20/x2
<<Special Attacks>> Daylight (PFBty 7)
------------------
STATISTICS
------------------
<<Str>> 13, <<Dex>> 16, <<Con>> 16, <<Int>> 14, <<Wis>> 20, <<Cha>> 20
<<BAB>> +6, <<CMB>> +7, <<CMD>> +20
<<Feats>> Armor Proficiency (LIGHT / MEDIUM) (PFCR 118), Craft Wand (PFCR 120), Guided Hand (PFUC 103), Selective Channeling (PFCR 132-133), Shield Proficiency (PFCR 133)
<<Skills>> Appraise +6, Craft (Magical Implement) +7, Diplomacy +18, Heal +12, Knowledge (arcana) +6, Knowledge (history) +6, Knowledge (nobility) +6, Knowledge (religion) +9, Knowledge (planes) +6, Linguistics +7, Perception +10, Sense Motive +9, Spellcraft +9
<<SQ>> Aasimar Skills (PFBty 7), Cleric Channel Energy [9 / 4d6] (PFCR 40)
<<SU>> Domain Powers (PFCR 40-41), Sun's Blessing (PFCR 47), Nimbus of Light (PFCR 47)
<<MC>> Cleric Bonus Languages (PFCR 41), Cleric Spontaneous Casting (PFCR 41), Forbidden Spell Alignment (PFCR 41, 49)
<<Traits>> Exalted of the Society (Faith: Cleric) (PFCh: FcGd 62), Pyromancer (Race: Aasimar) (PFCo: BoA 23)
<<Languages>> Celestial, Common, Elven, Halfling, Ignan, Infernal

FURTHER DETAILS:

-- AASIMAR RACIAL TRAITS --
• Wis: +2, Cha: +2
• TYPE: Outsider (Native)
• SIZE: Medium
• DAYLIGHT: Can use daylight once per day with a caster level of 8.
• AASIMAR RESISTANCE: Resistance to acid 5, cold 5, and electricity 5.
• AASIMAR SKILLS: Aasimars have a +2 racial bonus on Diplomacy and Perception
checks.
• LANGUAGES: Aasimars begin play speaking Common and Celestial.
• DARKVISION 60 FT: Aasimar can see in the dark up to 60 ft.
• Automatic Languages: Common, Celestial
• Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Halfling, Sylvan

-- CLASS ABILITIES --
• FAVORED CLASS (Cleric) : You've gain the following bonuses: Skill Point), and
Hit Point).
• AURA OF NEUTRAL GOOD: A Cleric of Sarenrae radiates a powerful aura of
Neutral Good. (PFCR 39).
• CLERIC CHANNEL ENERGY: You channel Positive Energy allowing you to either heal
the living or harm the undead for 4d6. Affects 30 ft radius from you. (DC 19 for
half). Standard action. 9 times per day. Does not provoke Attacks of Opportunity.
(PFCR 40).
• CLERIC BONUS LANGUAGES: A cleric's bonus language options
include Celestial, Abyssal, and Infernal regardless of race. (PFCR 41).
• CLERIC SPELLS: The cleric casts divine spells drawn from the Cleric spell list,
as listed in [PFCR 226-229]. The cleric must meditate and pray for an hour each day
to regain spells. Clerics can prepare a number of orisons, or 0-level spells, each
day, as noted under “Spells per day.” These spells are treated like any other spell,
but they are not expended when cast and may be used again. (PFCR 39-40).
• CLERIC SPONTANEOUS CASTING: A Good cleric can swap prepared spells for
spells with ""cure"" in the name. An evil cleric can swap out prepared spells for
""inflict"" spells. A neutral cleric of a neutral god can choose one or the other upon
taking the Cleric class. (PFCR 41).
• CLERIC WEAPONS AND ARMOR: Proficient with all simple weapons, light
armor, medium armor, shields (except tower shields), and favored weapon of deity --
Scimitar. (PFCR 39).
• DOMAIN POWERS: Each of the cleric's chosen domains [Fire, Sun] grant domain
powers.
- Fire Bolt (Sp): 1d6+4 fire damage to single target within 30 ft. Standard
action. 8 times per day. [PFCR 44]
- Fire Resistance (Ex): Resist fire 10. [PFCR 44]
- Sun's Blessing (Su): Add +8 to channel energy damage vs. undead. Undead are
denied channel resistance. [PFCR 47]
- Nimbus of Light (Su): As Daylight [PFCR 264] in 30 ft radius, but does cleric
level damage to undead each round they remain in it. Dispells spells and spell-like
with 'darkness' descriptor. 8 rounds per day (need not be consecutive). [PFCR 47]
(PFCR 40-41).
• FORBIDDEN SPELL ALIGNMENT: Spells with the Evil descriptor are forbidden
by your alignment and your deity's alignment. (PFCR 41, 49).

-- GENERAL FEATS --
• GUIDED HAND: With your deity's favored weapon, you can use your Wisdom
modifier instead of your Strength or Dexterity modifier on attack rolls. (PFUC 103)
• SELECTIVE CHANNELING: When you channel energy, you can choose a number of
targets in the area up to 5. These targets are not affected by your channeled energy.
(PFCR 132-133)

-- COMBAT FEATS --
• ARMOR PROFICIENCY (LIGHT / MEDIUM): When you wear a type of armor in which
you are proficient, the armor check penalty for that armor applies only to Balance,
Climb, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Sleight of Hand, and Tumble checks.
(PFCR 118)
• SHIELD PROFICIENCY: You can use a shield and take only the standard
penalties. (PFCR 133)

-- ITEM CREATION FEATS --
• CRAFT WAND: You can spend 1 day per 1,000 gp cost to craft a wand at a cost of
750 x caster level x spell level, plus materials cost per charge as per the rules in
PFCR 553. (PFCR 120)

-- TRAITS --
• EXALTED OF THE SOCIETY (Faith: Cleric): The vaults of the Grand Lodge
in Absalom contain many secrets of the divine powers of the gods, and you have studied
your god extensively. You may channel energy 1 additional time per day. (PFCh: FcGd
62)
• PYROMANCER (Race: Aasimar): You're especially adept at casting flame-based
spells. You gain a +1 trait bonus on damage rolls for any spell you cast with the
fire descriptor. Spells that do not deal damage do not benefit from this trait. (PFCo:
BoA 23)

-- ARMOR --
• MITHRAL FORTIFICATION (LIGHT) BREASTPLATE (AGILE) +1: 25% miss
on critical hits [Armor (PFAPG); Fortification (Light) (PFCR 463)]

-- WEAPONS --
• KEEN FLAMING SCIMITAR +2: This ability doubles the threat range of a
weapon.; Upon command, a flaming weapon is sheathed in fire that deals an extra 1d6
points of fire damage on a successful hit. The fire does not harm the wielder. The
effect remains until another command is given. [Weapon 1 (PFCR); Keen (PFCR 471),
Flaming (PFCR 470)]
• MELEE DAGGER: You get a +2 bonus on Sleight of Hand checks made to conceal a
dagger on your body (see the Sleight of Hand skill). [Weapon 2 (PFCR)]

**PRIEST OF HEALING FLAME**
Lachlin's bond with fire increase the intensity of his heals. The burning within
sacrifices -1 HP.
-Rebuke Death (Sp): Touch and heal a living creature below 0 HP for 1d4+4.
Standard action. Use 8 times per day.
-Healer’s Blessing (Su): +50% to cure spells. This does not apply to damage dealt
to undead.
-Use Heal Domain spells as if the cleric has selected this domain.

Eldariel
2019-02-25, 05:03 AM
Okay, so you want to be the Cleric that does it all. That's...pretty easy, Clerics are fairly awesome and have innate access to their whole spell lists and thus can go from zero to hero in a day. You could go the Angel Summoner route with Summon Good Monster (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/summon-good-monster/), Augment Summoning (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/augment-summoning/) and Superior Summoning (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/superior-summoning/). Those options are also pretty awesome for healing (for reference, on character level 11 you can spend an action to heal everyone for 6d6...or spend a level 6 slot to summon 1d3+1 Vulpinal Agathions that can heal for 6 rounds, 3d6 each round while also being a fighting bodies that can also cast lots of good spells and such). You can also focus on your personal combat power (Cleric is probably the strongest frontline warrior in the game when built to that end) - you definitely want to cast Greater Magic Weapon and Magic Vestment (x2, on armor and shield) daily to keep your AC and combat powers up.

Divine Power, Divine Favor, Righteous Might and company are great spells to buff your combat prowess, and outside the Core spells Clerics get a good deal of extra goodies to that end (well, higher levels of optimisation have you casting Abundant Ammunition and Greater Named Bullet and using your arrows as improvised weapons or just act out as an archer, but that's a bit silly so let's not go there). Your Cures and Channels are fine and Selective Channeling is certainly a good idea; it's mostly learning your spell list that's the big piece of work. Clerics can truly do anything.

Firest Kathon
2019-02-25, 06:54 AM
I don't know how set you are on cleric as a class choice, so I want to mention the oracle (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/) (spontaneous divine caster) and warpriest (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/warpriest/) (cleric/fighter hybrid class) as alternatives which may also fit the style you are going for. Paladin in PF can also be a capable healer while fulfilling the "slicing and dicing" part, especially when multiclassed with oracle ("Oradin", guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?257365-PF-Oradin-Mini-Guide-Or-How-to-be-a-Healbot-minus-the-bot)).

Luincale
2019-02-25, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the replies so far!

Eldariel, lol, I was trying not to be that new guy, but guess I fell into the let's do it all trap anyway. I am going to seriously consider setting some of my spells for the day into myself and see where that leaves me if I'm in the thick of things. It sounds incredibly workable, so I will run through these spells and what that leaves me to work with. Nice advice.

I'll read through everything again later, but both the summoning choice and the "Oradin" seem to be feasible options for me. I particularly like the idea of the HP battery, which just feels like it takes a bit more thought than throwing CLW at everything and using wands, which feels like cheating for some reason. Probably because I'm new,lol.

Warpreist was on my possibilities list so I will review that again too. Once I review, I'll try to post a follow-up.

Eldariel
2019-02-25, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the replies so far!

Eldariel, lol, I was trying not to be that new guy, but guess I fell into the let's do it all trap anyway. I am going to seriously consider setting some of my spells for the day into myself and see where that leaves me if I'm in the thick of things. It sounds incredibly workable, so I will run through these spells and what that leaves me to work with. Nice advice.

I'll read through everything again later, but both the summoning choice and the "Oradin" seem to be feasible options for me. I particularly like the idea of the HP battery, which just feels like it takes a bit more thought than throwing CLW at everything and using wands, which feels like cheating for some reason. Probably because I'm new,lol.

Warpreist was on my possibilities list so I will review that again too. Once I review, I'll try to post a follow-up.

It's okay, y'know. Cleric is the do-it-all class and this is a do-it-all game and it's perfectly okay! Your actions still restrict you somewhat but the game is more or less set out so that all classes are kinda do-it-allish. Cleric is definitely the best "all-rounder" with Druid though.

Wands are for out-of-combat healing. That's just common sense to conserve your resources; you never know when you need your channeling or spells. Summoning and Channeling can be reasonable healing options in combat. It does, however, depend: often casting a spell to disable/kill enemies or buff allies can save more HP than a heal on any given turn and thus reduce the resources it takes for you to heal everyone. Wall of Stone can section off a key enemy and allow you to deal with two separate batches instead of one in one go. Or it can just plain trap an enemy, essentially dealing with them (leaving them at your mercy unless they can get out, at any rate). To that end, preparing control/buff/summon-type spells can be a more effective "Cure" than an actual Cure-spell. That's one of the reasons Summons in particular jump out as awesome options; they can fill a different role each round (or multiples at once) ranging from damage dealers to protectors to healers, and stick around for the whole fight.

The most important resource in the game particularly this high up is actions. You get a ton of spells so you'll almost never cast most of your spells in a fight. It's often one-two spells, some fighting and most encounters are dealt with. It's worth remembering that D&D isn't an MMO; it's much higher lethality (damage comes in higher amounts and plenty of spells exist that straight-up kill someone if a save fails) and healing is much weaker (most healing effects before Heal can't come close to fully healing a character that's taken a lot of beating). This is why healing is something you do opportunistically; bringing someone back on their feet so they can take a key action is worth it but healing someone who took twice the amount of damage you can heal but is still standing is not. Each round the key question is, which action will let us win/let us win with the least resources invested (since less resources invested directly translate to being able to last longer/being better prepared for the next fight/ambush).

Another point, spells like Magic Vestment and Greater Magic Weapon are great all-day buffs (their duration is hours/level, so you can cast them in the morning and have them last 8 hours or 16 if you Extend them with e.g. Lesser Rod of Extend Spell (3000gp item)). They can be cast on anyone so the whole party benefits from them as long as you have slots (have allies buy you Pearls of Power of the appropriate level so you can afford both, those slots and your actual combat slots). Of course, you can also use "Imbue with Spell Ability" to give your allies some personal buffs such as Divine Favor down the line. At this point it's not worth the slots though.

Geddy2112
2019-02-26, 05:21 PM
I know you are rocking guided hand, but you could get dex to damage and attack rolls with dervish dance. It would allow you to dump strength even further and boost your dex higher.

Channeling is fairly viable for undead heavy world and gives you a nice AoE against lower level undead. If you really want to overclock it, you could take the glory domain increasing the DC by 2. Sarenrae's channel specific feat is pretty nice as well, removing fear giving you some utility there. Glorious heat is spammable with spark, and decent otherwise if you want to heal while you blast.

The sailharion is a fairly cheap magical item that boosts your knowledge and heal checks and Sarenrae themed.

Palanan
2019-02-26, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by Geddy2112
The sailharion is a fairly cheap magical item that boosts your knowledge and heal checks and Sarenrae themed.

Are you sure of the spelling on that? Can't find anything by that name.

Luincale
2019-02-27, 08:49 PM
So I took some time to review the oradin and warpriest options. I think I have decided to stick to a cleric role for this specific character, but, as I plan on playing the 'cleric" role in the future with a different flavor, I'm keeping this all written down for a later date.

This frees me up to focus on cleric levels and ways to enhance those levels.

For feats, I am hovering between

-Angelic Blood, Angelic Flesh, Angelic Wings, Metallic Wings, OR
-Summon Good Monster, Spell Focus, Augmented Summoning, Superior Summoning, Sacred Summoning

Here's my attempt to do both, which means I'm waiting until 11th level to get summon good monster (this really adds the flavor I want to the character):
1. Angelic Blood
2. Selective Channel
3. Guided Hand
4. Carve Wands
5. Angelic Flesh (Silver)
6. Summon Good Monster
7. Angelic Wings
8. Sacred Summoning
9. Metallic Wings
10. ???

Superior Summoning is a huge investment and I don't really see the point of the increased strength and constitution when the HP is already so low anyway (The game I took part in has creatures hitting for 15+ damage per round). If I'm going to have them dodge and weave around the battle field for ability purposes, this seems not so important (I dunno, maybe you guys will say different).

Carve Wands is really annoying. I feel like I'm stuck with this one. The party seemed strapped for gold based on their chatter, so I don't think I can plan to buy all we need. Any suggestions? Giving up a whole feat to get carve wands seems eh...

Geddy, I'm reviewing domains to be sure I have the right line up. Meanwhile, I had no luck finding Sailharion of any variation, so might need your help to find this!

Feint's End
2019-02-28, 12:14 AM
How exactly did you achieve the hp calculation? +31 seems odd (did you use favoured class bonus on some levels?). Also you are 2 below max hp. Did you roll only 7s and 8s on your hp rolls?

Eldariel
2019-02-28, 02:41 AM
So I took some time to review the oradin and warpriest options. I think I have decided to stick to a cleric role for this specific character, but, as I plan on playing the 'cleric" role in the future with a different flavor, I'm keeping this all written down for a later date.

This frees me up to focus on cleric levels and ways to enhance those levels.

For feats, I am hovering between

-Angelic Blood, Angelic Flesh, Angelic Wings, Metallic Wings, OR
-Summon Good Monster, Spell Focus, Augmented Summoning, Superior Summoning, Sacred Summoning

Here's my attempt to do both, which means I'm waiting until 11th level to get summon good monster (this really adds the flavor I want to the character):
1. Angelic Blood
2. Selective Channel
3. Guided Hand
4. Carve Wands
5. Angelic Flesh (Silver)
6. Summon Good Monster
7. Angelic Wings
8. Sacred Summoning
9. Metallic Wings
10. ???

Superior Summoning is a huge investment and I don't really see the point of the increased strength and constitution when the HP is already so low anyway (The game I took part in has creatures hitting for 15+ damage per round). If I'm going to have them dodge and weave around the battle field for ability purposes, this seems not so important (I dunno, maybe you guys will say different).

Carve Wands is really annoying. I feel like I'm stuck with this one. The party seemed strapped for gold based on their chatter, so I don't think I can plan to buy all we need. Any suggestions? Giving up a whole feat to get carve wands seems eh...

Geddy, I'm reviewing domains to be sure I have the right line up. Meanwhile, I had no luck finding Sailharion of any variation, so might need your help to find this!

You probably should rather push the Angelic Blood-chain down and focus on the Summoning-part first. The summon feats are just better; while the Angel Blood-feats are flavourful, you're already a half-angel channeling divine power so I don't think you really need them to push the "I'm an angel, damnit!"-angle (particularly when you have spells like Air Walk, Magic Circle Against Evil and company that already do the things the feats would give you, and more). Summon Good Monster does two things: It adds a good bunch of awesome options to your Summoning list and it makes your Summons Standard Action! That is to say, instead of spending a whole round summoning something (which opens the spell up to being disrupted by enemy attacks since enemy has time to act before the spell finishes), you can just cast the spell on your turn and it finishes immediately giving you some warm bodies (that only get to act the next turn, sadly). Of course, Sacred Summons already helps with the Standard Action part but the list expansion is nice and you can summon them all as a standard action.

Regarding Superior Summoning, yeah, it's an investment but it's a pretty good one. Superior Summoning (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/superior-summoning/) gives you an extra creature whenever you summon multiples. In effect, this means when you use a Summon Monster VI to summon a Summon Monster V creature (such as the mentioned Vulpinal Agathion), you get 1d3+1 instead of just 1d3. That's a huge power increase since each Vulpinal has all the spell-likes, healing effects and such. You essentially get an extra caster each round.
Augment Summoning (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/augment-summoning/) gives your summons +4 Strength and +4 Constitution, giving them +2 to hit, +2 to +3 damage, +2 HP per HD (the mentioned Vulpinal Agathion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/agathion/agathion-vulpinal) for example has 7 HD so it gets +14 HP), +2 to Fort-saves and some minor bonuses. If you want for your Summons to fight in melee, the Strength-bonuses in particular are awesome. It's true that if you're using them for abilities, it's less critical though. The extra HP is enough for them to last another round, which is huge: in D&D fights are generally short so every round is a big deal and every point of damage your summons absorb is damage not dealt permanently to anyone (and thus less resources spent on healing permanent damage). Your Channeling is also nice in that you get extra value for each Summon you can heal with it.

While Spell Focus: Conjuration might not seem like the best feat, Clerics do have some good Conjurations that offer saving throws (Wall of Stone (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/w/wall-of-stone/) for one).

This makes me think, you wanna play something Gandalfish? I might suggest the Evangelist Cleric Archetype (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/archetypes/paizo-cleric-archetypes/evangelist). Inspire Courage is a great, flavourful tool that also both, fits great in the "Champion of the Divine Host"-style and mechanically suits summoning: the more creatures you affect the better it gets. Inspire Greatness is great (*badumtsh*) as well, particularly for abilities that require extra HD (but also to counteract spells like Blasphemy (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blasphemy/), give your allies extra HP and all such). Inspire Heroics is...not bad either all things considered.

The Spontaneous spells are nice too; you don't get spontaneous Cures but you have your Summons for healing so that's nary a problem (starting from the awesome Lantern Archon (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/archon/lantern-archon/) on Summon Monster III though your Sacred Summons and alignment probably has you prefer Silvanshee Agathion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/agathion/agathion-silvanshee)) and you get a lot of versatility and options (Tongues at will is very "Angelic" as are divine commands and the like; in general, all of the spells play around "the power of your voice", which goes well with an angelic speaker of Truespeech - you even get a normally non-Cleric spell in Suggestion, and spells of this type are useful opportunistically and thus awesome to have available spontaneously).

In short, here's what I'd do:

Cleric > Evangelist Cleric
Feats:
Selective Channeling
Sacred Summons
Summon Good Monster
SF: Conjuration
Augment Summoning
Superior Summoning (you'd get it on ECL11, which is when you get Summon Monster VI and thus can use it for 1d3+1 Vulpinal Agathions)

This way your summons can cast and fight for your and you can also buff your teammates and heal everyone while buffing your summons. Seems like a win-win. Evangelist loses a bit in terms of Channel Energy but it's still solid and you have summons as your first line of healing so it's not that big of a problem in any case. Evangelist can't use medium armor but Chain Shirt is only -1 AC. Mithral Buckler has no armor check penalty so you can wield it equally well without Shield Proficiency. Thus your AC would drop from 23 to 22 but that's a very minor problem all things considered, particularly since you'll mostly be behind your Summons buffing everyone only taking the opportunity attack you get (wield a reach weapon like Longspear) whenever an enemy approaches you directly.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, there's little to gain by taking Selective Channeling. On this level your combat actions in general are better than Channeling and you don't need Selective Channeling for Out of Combat healing (plus you'll probably sit a bit behind your summons anyways so you can just position so that you heal allies but not enemies). Soo...yeah, that frees up a feat that makes life a whole lot easier.

Luincale
2019-02-28, 10:51 PM
Wow Eldariel, thanks for the detail thoughts!

I'm going to push the summons and give up on the angelic line. I had talked myself out of it previously, so your post helped talk me out of it again.

It hurts to give up guided hand, but I'm going to do it in favor of summoning.

Eldariel
2019-03-01, 03:06 AM
Wow Eldariel, thanks for the detail thoughts!

I'm going to push the summons and give up on the angelic line. I had talked myself out of it previously, so your post helped talk me out of it again.

It hurts to give up guided hand, but I'm going to do it in favor of summoning.

Yeah, Guided Hand is nice but ultimately it only matters when you're actually attacking (I would recommend asking for a +1 Spell-storing Keen Scimitar or Longspear or whatever instead, by the way; Spell-storing is a great way to use your touch attack spells efficiently and Longspear gives you reach). Most of your actions will probably be spent casting spells in the start and you can always buff yourself to get the numbers to attack. Technically taking it would require Channel Smite, which is pretty bad too, and your best buffs (Righteous Might in particular) buff your Strength so it kinda evens out.

Any chance you could rework your items? There's a lot you'd want that you don't have, and some extra fat in the stuff you have that you probably don't want.

Actually, taking Guided Hand after the Summon feats is probably reasonable if you can take it without having to take the Channel Smite. Down the line there's also Spell Perfection and its kind if you wanna push the summons, but especially if you don't need Channel Smite, Guided Hand is a nice investment if you have a decent Scimitar and your spells for damage anyways. Perhaps even going Guided Hand now and pushing the rest of the Summon-feats down the line; something like:
1. Sacred Summons
3. Guided Hand
5. Summon Good Monster
7. Spell Focus: Conjuration
9. Augment Summoning
11. Superior Summoning

That would actually be really good.

Far as mechanics go, by the way, have character sheets printed (you can use d20pfsrd (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/)) for the Summons you're most likely (probably all the best Good options and especially the Neutral Good ones for Sacred Summons) to use to expedite the game. And keep a supersimple cheatsheet with abbreviated spell-likes, AC/Damage/to hit and attacks (the things they're most likely to use; if they need to save or w/e, you can reference the character sheet). Summons can slow the game down but good bookkeeping helps a lot in that regard.

Geddy2112
2019-03-01, 05:47 PM
Are you sure of the spelling on that? Can't find anything by that name.

Here you go (http://aonprd.com/MagicWondrousDisplay.aspx?FinalName=Saliharion)