PDA

View Full Version : Dex Build Mountain Dwarf Archer (mundane) as EK?

ZorroGames
2019-02-25, 09:24 AM
You know I value character and RP over optimization so save your breath on that topic because I like this character for AL play.

BLUF: Mundane archer build EK? Was the player right to think it was a good option?

Started a Mountain Dwarf Fighter (proficient in heavy armor and no loss of speed because dwarf.). Stealth? Um, not his bag. Set up and snipe the enemy.

ST 10
DE 15 looking for Squat Nimbleness at level 4 for +1 DE, +5’ move, etc.,
CO 16
IN 14
WI 12
CH 8

Light CB, Rapier, Chainmail, Shield. Later a HvCB. Edit: FS Archery.

Outlander background.

Not a Ranger but a Fighter. I already have a Mountain Dwarf Underground Ranger.

Basically an underground and mountain trails patrolling clan warrior sniper. Speaks Goblin because there currently is treaty between his clan and neighboring Goblins in an alliance of necessity versus neighboring Orcs and Hobgoblins threatening both groups.

The IN was because the base design for his fraternal twin (!) was a strength build Fighter (EK) and I like Mountain Dwarf to sometimes be relatively smart and disciplined students while being warriors. His twin will have a more Investigator type “underground urban “ background when I finish.

Sooo.... a player asked if this character Tordek Trueblood was going to be an EK like his brother too. Interesting question... Worth the effort since I have IN of 14?

I was looking for level 6th CBE, 8th +2 DE, 12th +2 DE, maybe SS at 14th if we get that far which I really doubt.

EK would significant resources to track/manage.

RogueJK
2019-02-25, 09:37 AM
EK isn't a great choice. A ranged fighter benefits noticeably less from the EK's spellcasting abilities than a melee fighter.

You're going to need to focus your ASIs on improving your DEX and your ranged attacks, rather than trying to improve INT. (Your ASIs from 1-14 will be eaten up with Squat Nimbleness, Crossbow Expert, +2 DEX, +2 DEX, Sharpshooter) And without a high INT to keep spell attacks and saves competitive as you increase in levels, you'll be limited to just defensive and utility spells.

A ranged EK won't get as much use out of the traditional defensive spells as a melee EK. That leaves pretty much just utility/exploration spells that will be of much use to a ranged fighter, and you'll be limited in the number of those you can take because the EK has to choose the majority of their spells from either the Evocation or Abjuration schools. Plus a ranged EK won't be able to make use of the Melee Cantrips for War Magic double attacks (useful from Levels 7-10) or War Caster OAs, like a melee EK.

I think a better choice for a ranged fighter is the Battlemaster, since a number of their abilities can also apply to ranged attacks. Plus you can stick to focusing your ASIs on improving just your DEX and your ranged attacks.

Or potentially Champion, if you're going for crits.

If you want to take advantage of your moderate INT, use your background to pick up Investigation and/or some Knowledge skills. Or if you really want some utility spellcasting, I think you'd get more use out of Battlemaster or Champion with a 1 or 2 level Wizard dip (War Wizard or Diviner) and a spellbook full of utility/exploration/ritual spells.

Willie the Duck
2019-02-25, 09:50 AM
BLUF: Mundane archer build EK? Was the player right to think it was a good option?

Taking XBE at 6th makes me think you feel that this guy isn't going to be able to stay in the back line. That's perfectly reasonable. About half of gaming groups are good at protecting the back line, and the other half are not. EK would help keep this guy alive when this happens. That said, this means that you are putting your relatively unmodified weapon attacks as the offensive output.

There's nothing specifically wrong with the concept, it's just one of those cases where you ask: if you are going to be up in melee drawing the attacks which justify a low-int EK, why are you bothering with XBE-archer? Yes yes, RP reasons, but mechanically I mean.

RogueJK
2019-02-25, 09:55 AM
Taking XBE at 6th makes me think you feel that this guy isn't going to be able to stay in the back line.

He likely just wants to be able to take advantage of his Extra Attack gained at Level 5, and Crossbows are limited to 1 attack per turn unless you have XBE.

That's the real benefit to XBE with a fighter or other class with Extra Attack, not necessarily the ability to fire in melee.

(Although he could just take a Longbow and have greater range and similar damage as a Crossbow without the need to take a feat for the Extra Attacks, some players feel that Dwarves using Bows is "odd", with Crossbows being more traditional Dwarven weapons. So the Crossbow could just be a flavor choice.)

djreynolds
2019-02-25, 06:02 PM
You know I value character and RP over optimization so save your breath on that topic because I like this character for AL play.

Started a Mountain Dwarf Fighter (proficient in heavy armor and no loss of speed because dwarf.). Stealth? Um, not his bag. Set up and snipe the enemy.

ST 10
DE 15 looking for Squat Nimbleness at level 4 for +1 DE, +5’ move, etc.,
CO 16
IN 14
WI 12
CH 8

Light CB, Rapier, Chainmail, Shield. Later a HvCB. Edit: FS Archery.

Outlander background.

Not a Ranger but a Fighter. I already have a Mountain Dwarf Underground Ranger.

Basically an underground and mountain trails patrolling clan warrior sniper. Speaks Goblin because there currently is treaty between his clan and neighboring Goblins in an alliance of necessity versus neighboring Orcs and Hobgoblins threatening both groups.

The IN was because the base design for his fraternal twin (!) was a strength build Fighter (EK) and I like Mountain Dwarf to sometimes be relatively smart and disciplined students while being warriors. His twin will have a more Investigator type “underground urban “ background when I finish.

Sooo.... a player asked if this character Tordek Trueblood was going to be an EK like his brother too. Interesting question... Worth the effort since I have IN of 14?

I was looking for level 6th CBE, 8th +2 DE, 12th +2 DE, maybe SS at 14th if we get that far which I really doubt.

I like this build, especially a dwarven archer.

I like heavy crossbow.

Kadesh
2019-02-25, 06:38 PM
I'd like to dress this up, but about the best I can say is "you do you".

Dex Build. Mountain Dwarf. So far, so bad.
Mountain Dwarf. Fighter? Overlap of abilities, so there's only +2 Con that's of use. Semi yay?
Eldritch Knight. Uses Bonus Action already. So far, so bad.
Shield and Light Crossbow. Bad, again. You still need the hand free to put ammunition into the Xbow, even with the Loading property voided.
No Warcaster to TWF and cast spells? Urgh.

While the RP is fine (and I think it's awesome; I for one, would love for their to be an archetype based around Strength Archery in Full Plate Armour, complete Weeb Fantasy Nonesense), what you want is a character functionally levels behind everyone else, and I honestly kind of wonder what's "RP" worthy about a character who simply functions to subvert a trope/all mechanical interactions, in itself, becoming a trope. I say that as someone playing a Dwarf Dodge Tank, but at least I've got the Bonus Hit Points, Speed, Temp HP and BFC/AoE to assist with my role as the guy who allows the rest of the party to focus on the important guy.

This character... does, the role of a normal Eldritch Knight. Only so much worse, to the extent of being "not really".

What it sounds like is that you basically want a Hexblade/Sorc 3, who can give you everything you want without being utterly garbage.

Nhorianscum
2019-02-25, 06:56 PM
Spells are pretty great.

10+ things look pretty meaty

Early game is "not significantly worse than BM"

Go for it.

Scag as your +1 for lightning lure makes this pretty silly as you drag things in to shoot them in the face repeatedly.

A short dip or magic innate for hex/hunters mark/Gloomstalker gubs (res wis to 13) is worth mentioning.

ZorroGames
2019-02-25, 08:48 PM
Before the EK suggestion I was (and still am) planning to go with my original scheme of “William Tell in melee” shenanigans. Battlemaster thru Tier 2 then retirement of the character.

Looking to just play out the Dex Fighter ( I have the ST based GWF Fighter, 6th level War Wizard, the Ranger dipping 4 levels of Fighter as BM/Gloomstalker, the 5th level OH Monk, the Cleric dipping Ranger for 5 levels in Mountain Dwarf race.)

Just for the possibilities and the challenge and the interactions with the other players. Not to be the best in DPR or optimization or any other damn mechanical Gameist goal.

I do play other races but MD is my favorite for character even over my Chultan Variant Human Ranger/Assassin, my Earth zgenasi 11th level Battlemaster, my Forest Gnome Invoker/Tempest Cleric.

Thanks for confirming that EK was not a good addition to my character plan.

djreynolds
2019-02-25, 09:36 PM
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?469118-GUIDE-Bow-Bond-An-Eldritch-Knight%92s-guide-to-Archery&p=6707748#post6707748

Have you looked at this thread from the guide section, its very good

If anything, IMO, CBE, can wait. It is a feat that is going to force a style of play on you and weapon choice and conflict with war magic if you grab a hand crossbow.

You can never go wrong with sharpshooter, the increase in range is a game changer. Also IMO, when you play a dexterity based EK, intelligence is not a priority since you already have a ranged attack (bow) and melee attack (rapier)

Where as strength based EK, ranged attacks, talking 120ft, you are using firebolt and intelligence

I really do think EK is fine, what you do need IMO, is a really good spell to concentrate on. Cleric has bless, warlock has hex, ranger has hunter's mark.

So find a good spell to use. I really like flaming sphere, it is cheap, can be upcasted, can use a bonus action to move it... or just leave it where it is. Its a ball of fire monster must move around or avoid