PDA

View Full Version : Guild Build

redjinx
2019-02-25, 11:06 AM
In the past, I've always built very combat/mechanics focused characters, with only a couple of exceptions. Now, of course this option is all very well, but I find myself wanting to do something a little different. After reading the Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica, I think it would be fun to come up with one or two flavor-focused builds for a Dimir agent, based solely on the core 5e material - that is, PHB, Volo's Guide, Xanathar's Guide, and so forth.

My current idea is down below, but mostly I'm interested to see what other people's take on it would be. And don't feel obliged to stick to Dimir; I'd love to see class/race builds for all the guilds! A mobile Rakdos acrobat. An oppressive Azorius mage. An und... differently alive Golgari shaman. Go crazy!

Dimir Agent:
So this is a multiclass Bard/Rogue, with high Charisma and a focus on two things: deception, and assassination. The College of Whispers and the Assassin subclasses are best; both of them provide great one-shot damage potential, and both of them have a disguise option that's pretty sweet. Starting as a Rogue and then taking two levels in Bard affords a whopping seven skills right away, two of them with expertise: Stealth and Deception are the best, since on flavor grounds we'll be using thieves' tools as little as possible. Spells we like: Vicious Mockery, Minor Illusion, Mage Hand, Disguise Self, Dissonant Whispers, Silent Image, Bane, Sleep, Detect Thoughts, Invisibility, Knock, Phantasmal Force, Silence, Enemies Abound, Fear, Major Image, Nondetection, Confusion, Greater Invisibility, Mislead, Modify Memory. (We can pick and choose from that list.) I also think it's cool to have a bullseye lantern instead of a light-based cantrip, since that just seems more on-theme, and a light crossbow is a good option at range with daggers in melee. After that? There's a good deal of freedom. I think Bard 10/Rogue 10 is the most fun; and notably, it lets us take 2 spells from any spell list as long as it's a level we can cast (Bard feature) which is just amazing. I like Phantasmal Killer for one of them, but this is the most customizable part, really.