PDA

View Full Version : Sneaky/Mischievious Sorcerer Spells

krulin
2019-02-25, 11:44 AM
I'm playing a sorcerer in the current campaign we're playing. Her name is Jeanette and she's a little bit of a mischievous character. Jeanette is a vampire (although not the DnD variant that have so many restrictions placed on them). My DM and I agreed that a lot of those are dumb (like having to ask to enter someone's residence). My question is what are some good spells that are either fitting for a vampire or mischievous/sneaky. If they tick off all those boxes than even better. If there are any wizard spells that fit that then I'm open to that too. My DM has said he's being fairly flexible with the spells (at least between sorcerers and wizards) as he knows previous editions had more overlap between the two. He added the addendum that it would be a case by case basis of course.Any help you guys could be would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Corran
2019-02-25, 11:59 AM
My DM and I agreed that a lot of those are dumb (like having to ask to enter someone's residence).
:smallsigh:

My question is what are some good spells that are either fitting for a vampire or mischievous/sneaky.
Charm person, suggestion, eventually all the way up to geas, dominate beast, dominate person and dominate monster, cause every vampire that respects herself wants a Renfield around; also wolves.
You could fluff vampiric touch as a bite attack (perhaps contagion and bestow curse too, with some imagination).
Eyebite seems thematic for some reason I cannot specify.
Spider climb and gaseous form. Possibly jump and either expeditious retreat or haste (for superhuman speed) too. Enhance ability definitely.
Polymorph (into a bat of course). Alter self too.
The subtle metamagic plays well with some of the above spells, as well as with a trickster/manipulator character.
Problem is that sorcerers get too few spells to make it work while also playing a decently powerful character. Perhaps ask your DM to let you have many of these spells for free (much like clerics get domain spells, so a total bonus of 5-10 predetermined spells).

Shadow origin fits better than most I would say (unless you have sth homebrew that matches better the flavour of course; if so, check at the hexblade's level 6 ability accursed specter, you could fluff it as your animated shadow if you want).

krulin
2019-02-25, 12:53 PM
:smallsigh:
Shadow origin fits better than most I would say (unless you have sth homebrew that matches better the flavour of course; if so, check at the hexblade's level 6 ability accursed specter, you could fluff it as your animated shadow if you want).

Yeah, we have a sort of homebrew thing going on. My character is a little bonkers and has two personalities. Both personalities have their own spell list, but I've no control over the dominant personality and thus which list I have. One is at trickery based spell list and the other is your typical "blow crap up" list. Also, we really only changed the entering homes and running water vulnerability. Both of these seemed like dumb Hollywood limitations and just seem silly. I don't get any of the monster manual abilities for vampires though. The only thing close to a vampire ability from the monster manual is that I can bite people for their blood. We're still determining if I can turn other vampires or not.

Unoriginal
2019-02-25, 12:59 PM
Also, we really only changed the entering homes and running water vulnerability. Both of these seemed like dumb Hollywood limitations and just seem silly.

They come from ancient legends and each has an important allegorical meaning.

krulin
2019-02-25, 04:18 PM
They come from ancient legends and each has an important allegorical meaning.

That's neat. But, those flaws make them terrible villains and terrible heroes.

sophontteks
2019-02-25, 04:56 PM
Strahd has a bone to pick with you.:smallamused:

Unoriginal
2019-02-25, 05:13 PM

It makes them great villains, IMO, and D&D 5e vampires aren't supposed to be heroes. But eh, that's a question of tastes.

However, just dismissing the thematic out of hand isn't really an approach I would support.

krulin
2019-02-28, 09:21 AM
Strahd has a bone to pick with you.:smallamused:

I've not played the Strahd adventure yet. Our group largely does our own campaigns. I hate being chained down to someone else's lore or story. Some of the best adventures we've had have been because the group thought of a completely different solution to something. There's nothing wrong with people who do use these pre-made adventures, but it's not our cup of tea.

It makes them great villains, IMO, and D&D 5e vampires aren't supposed to be heroes. But eh, that's a question of tastes.

However, just dismissing the thematic out of hand isn't really an approach I would support.

But, with such restrictions, what can a vampire bad guy do aside from send minions after you? It's the same reason I don't like Superman as a hero. It's too easy to beat him with kryptonite (unless you give him sort of protective suit like they did in the cartoons). Although in that case the Joker just used acid to put a whole in the hazard suit he was wearing. Also, in said campaign, we are technically the villains (or anti-heroes at best).

I'd love to hear how I'm supposed to embrace these weaknesses and not just have it be a dead give-away that I'm a vampire or be a pain in the butt.

sophontteks
2019-02-28, 09:30 AM
I've not played the Strahd adventure yet. Our group largely does our own campaigns. I hate being chained down to someone else's lore or story. Some of the best adventures we've had have been because the group thought of a completely different solution to something. There's nothing wrong with people who do use these pre-made adventures, but it's not our cup of tea.

But, with such restrictions, what can a vampire bad guy do aside from send minions after you? It's the same reason I don't like Superman as a hero. It's too easy to beat him with kryptonite (unless you give him sort of protective suit like they did in the cartoons). Although in that case the Joker just used acid to put a whole in the hazard suit he was wearing. Also, in said campaign, we are technically the villains (or anti-heroes at best).

I'd love to hear how I'm supposed to embrace these weaknesses and not just have it be a dead give-away that I'm a vampire or be a pain in the butt.

WARNING some CoS Spoilers...

You are overestimating the power of the restrictions is all. CoS is quite a campaign and its all about Strahd. Just read the vampire abilities.

Charm: The vampire Targets one humanoid it can see within 30 ft. of it. If the target can see the vampire, the target must succeed on a DC 17 Wisdom saving throw against this magic or be Charmed by the vampire. The Charmed target regards the vampire as a trusted friend to be heeded and protected. Although the target isn't under the vampire's control, it takes the vampire's requests or Actions in the most favorable way it can, and it is a willing target for the vampire's bit Attack.
Each time the vampire or the vampire's companions do anything harmful to the target, it can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on itself on a success. Otherwise, the effect lasts 24 hours or until the vampire is destroyed, is on a different plane of existence than the target, or takes a Bonus Action to end the effect.

Shapechanger. If the vampire isn't in sun light or running water, it can use its action to polymorph into a Tiny bat or a Medium cloud of mist, or back into its true form.
While in bat form, the vampire can't speak, its walking speed is 5 feet, and it has a flying speed of 30 feet. Its statistics, other than its size and speed, are unchanged. Anything it is wearing transforms with it, but nothing it is carrying does. It reverts to its true form if it dies.
While in mist form, the vampire can't take any actions, speak, or manipulate objects. It is weightless, has a flying speed of 20 feet, can hover, and can enter a hostile creature's space and stop there. In addition, if air can pass through a space, the mist can do so without squeezing, and it can't pass through water. It has advantage on Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution saving throws, and it is immune to all nonmagical damage, except the damage it takes from sunlight.

A DC 17 24-hour super charm with no use limits that turns party members into Strahd's trusted friends, and strahd can change his form at-will. He has to be invited in? No problem! He just charms the person at the door. Casually sucks their blood while everyone helplessly watches, and takes a lovely scroll while the person he just assaulted raves about how wonderful Strahd is.

Vampires are a huge threat, and scary as hell. The restrictions just give them character and give the party the faintest fighting chance. In CoS Strahd toys with the party as he pleases, constantly charming them. Constantly forcing the party to reveal their plans. Constantly turning them against one another. And there is nothing the party can do to stop him. He's not even trying to kill the party. He's just entertaining himself by causing them suffering.

If you think vampires are easy to beat, try playing CoS. The entire campaign revolves around a single vampire, and it makes for one scary, difficult campaign just on that alone.

krulin
2019-02-28, 09:44 AM
WARNING some CoS Spoilers...

You are overestimating the power of the restrictions is all. CoS is quite a campaign and its all about Strahd. Just read the vampire abilities.

I get that, but a player having all those abilities is unbalanced and unfair to the other players. Also that ability is broken (at least in the hands of a player) as the vampire can just literally keep trying to charm the person. Eventually they're going to fail or outright roll a 1. Every other ability like that that I've seen in the Monster Manual has some of stipulation to make the target immune if they pass their check against being charmed.

My character lacks some of the weaknesses of regular vampires because she lacks A LOT of their abilities. Her spell-casting can emulate some of these abilities but they're not free actions and are limited to player spell-casting rules.

Pex
2019-02-28, 12:52 PM
Subtle Spell Minor Illusion someone cut the cheese.
Subtle Spell Prestidigitation the odor spreads.