PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Best feats for Graveborn Warrior?

Oberron
2019-02-25, 11:55 AM
Backstory is im going to be playing a necromancer/buff style artificer and the DM has allowed any official 3.0-3.5 material including all dragon mag stuff and the AEG book of feats, I ran across the feat and couldn't find any good list of what would be the best pick for the bonus feat it grants to undead. Aiming more for elite quality undead over horde army because i don't want to bog the combat down. Also might be good for other people that are using the feat to get some ideas.

Graveborn warrior is a feat from dragon magizine#312 (according to realmshelp) that gives any undead you raise with animate dead a bonus feat of your choice that has to meet the prerequisites for it.(for 25gp of crushed gem and it counts as 1hd more for control)

I feel it is kinda "it depends" based on the undead and what the undead is used for so currently i have three different categories for feats: Damage, defense, other. Here is what i have so far with a basic thought behind each one

Damage (feats that improve damage in someway or accuracy):
Point Blank Shot (for range skeletons)
Power attack (bruisers and most likely the best for shock trooper undead later on)
Two-weapon fighting (questionable)
Weapon focus (meh notmy feat but a +1 is okay)
Monkey grip (another not my feat but bigger weapons)
Improved natural attack (when i get undead with high enough BAB this feels like a solid choice if i don't wanna equip every undead)

Defense(keeps them unalive longer)
Improved toughness (not sure if worth since i already have Fell energy desecrate+altar and corpse crafrter for +8hp/hd)
Thick-skinned(+2 to existing Dr adds up over time)
Dodge (+1 ac is meh but something)
Improved turn resist( +4 vs turn/rebuke/command/bolster but situational at best)
Positive energy resistance (resist 10 vs positive is solid but again situational)

Other
Combat reflexes (surprise multiple AOO?)
Exotic weapon prof (not sure if this is even needed if i just dress up the body with an exotic weapon since undead are proficient with weapons they rise with)
Improved initiative (for zombies)
Superior initiative (for skeletons +8 instead of +4)

What other little-to-no prereq feats are out there that would be good to give to undead?

TalonOfAnathrax
2019-02-25, 01:57 PM
How about Martial Study? Maneuvers are great. Even the low-level ones are better than nothing!

I like Leading the Attack, Steel Wind or Steely Strike. They all seem thematic, and don't seem to require much brains to use effectively (appropriate for undead!)

Oberron
2019-02-26, 12:59 AM
How about Martial Study? Maneuvers are great. Even the low-level ones are better than nothing!

I like Leading the Attack, Steel Wind or Steely Strike. They all seem thematic, and don't seem to require much brains to use effectively (appropriate for undead!)

While I like the idea I don't think that the undead will be able to use the feat in a useful manner because they don't have class levels but it is an idea when they become awaken undead or dread warriors at higher levels.

Edit: never mind ECL would count since the feat says character level and not class level.

Leading the attack would be useful for my living allies but not for undead (since they don't gain moral bonuses), steel wind could be useful for zombies to give them effectively 2 attacks an encounter, steely strike can be good for fodder undead to help them hit and won't care about being hit back. Stances I think can be pretty good as well. Child of shadow would give my undead concealment if they move atleast 10ft and its fitting for the undead in the shadows trope. Bolstering voice is another stance that would give my party a bonus to will saves and fear effects (funny idea thinking of a zombie groans giving a bonus against feat instead of inspiring it), Punishing stance gives an extra 1d6 damage on every melee attack which is nice and a -2 ac traqde off is a sweet deal in my book, island of blades giving flanking just by being adjacent is pretty good too. Multiple useful options from this.

Oh boy I think martial study is the answer with small units of undead in units of 4.

Have 1 with a reach weapon (or large size even better) with Iron guard's glare we will call him "I", two with punishing stance who we will call both "P" and another one with Island of blades that we will call "B" have them set up like so:

PBP
_I_
___
with the other "_" being the other part of the large "I" if he is large or bigger. Now all the undead in the front are hit at with a -4 (effectively only -2 for "P" undead because of the -2 ac) because of "I" in the back, and both "P" and "B" have flanking bonus for any enemy in front of either "P" or "B".

To go even a step further you can even have an undead phalanx of:

PBPPBP
I _I _I _

If only Iron guard's glare stacked then it would be even better, combine this with deadly chill gives even basic human skeletons 1d4+1d6+1d6cold+str of damage