PDA

View Full Version : Speculation water breathing and rest

Allimath
2019-02-25, 01:44 PM
hey everyone,

in our high level (everyone is level 11, wizard, bard, sorcerer, eldritch knight) campaign we are trying to reach an old vampire who lives in a lighthouse across a rather large sea. Now, the sea has a lot of islands in it, but not nearly enough to stop and rest on solid land every day.

Buying and renting ships costs way more money than we are willing to pay, but since we can spend up to 12 hours polymorphed into giant eagles, i figured we can cross the sea at a faster pace than a ship could anyway BUT we have nowhere to rest.

Our wizard however knows the water breathing spell so... could we, after a long day of flappin' our giant eagle wings, just crash into water and sleep in it? Could you fall asleep in warm, tropical water if you could breathe in it? How dangerous would this endeavour be on a scale from "walk in the park" to "walk in the fiery pits of hell"?

also could we maybe do some Leomunds Tiny Hut shenanigans to protect ourselves from mean fish?

TLDR; can u sleep comfily in water w/ water breathing?

Harleytrypp
2019-02-25, 05:39 PM
I would put the danger level as a "walk in a high crime area of a major city, late on a friday night"

Keep in mind, Tiny Hut is a dome not a sphere, so you'd have to swim to the ocean floor to use it.

stoutstien
2019-02-25, 05:41 PM
I would put the danger level as a "walk in a high crime area of a major city, late on a friday night"

Keep in mind, Tiny Hut is a dome not a sphere, so you'd have to swim to the ocean floor to use it.
Water breathing isn't water talking. How do you cast the spell?

OverLordOcelot
2019-02-25, 06:03 PM
A good thing to remember is that water breathing is a ritual cast spell with a 24 hour duration, so if you have a ritual caster with it, there's no reason not to just keep it going all day. Camping underwater with water breathing is basically the same as camping outside, with the one additional risk that dispel magic is dangerous to you.

Water breathing isn't water talking. How do you cast the spell?

Being underwater does not prevent spellcasting, nor does swimming.

stoutstien
2019-02-25, 06:50 PM
A good thing to remember is that water breathing is a ritual cast spell with a 24 hour duration, so if you have a ritual caster with it, there's no reason not to just keep it going all day. Camping underwater with water breathing is basically the same as camping outside, with the one additional risk that dispel magic is dangerous to you.

Being underwater does not prevent spellcasting, nor does swimming.
i guess id rule it differently. id disallow any spell with a verbal component unless the water breathing is natural but i tend to run more low fantasy style.

Algeh
2019-02-26, 12:44 AM
This runs into the related question: are you planning to sleep floating on the ocean or at the bottom of the ocean? Both of these have some drawbacks and would take some planning to overcome. Floating on the ocean you'd have the issues that come with being a soft, squishy morsel out in the open while you sleep, as well as the issue of possibly not having the reflexes to stay floating sensibly while sleeping as part of the water breathing spell (sounds like a good place to ask your DM). You might need some kind of small raft/pool floatie situation to relax enough to actually sleep. This feels like lighting a big neon sign that says "Hey DM, what powerful aquatic creatures look cool for a night ambush from below" to me, but I suppose that depends on the ecology of your particular ocean.

The bottom of the ocean, in places where there aren't any good islands within, say, the last hour as the giant eagle flies, is probably really deep. How long will it take you to get all the way down there and back up again in the morning? What kind of camp were you planning on setting up once you got down there? You'd probably want to discuss with your DM how realistically they plan to model the deep ocean before getting too attached to this plan.

Vogie
2019-02-26, 12:10 PM
Other options:

Call out to local huge animals and rest on their backs. Dragon Turtles, Whales, et cetera.
Use Shape Water to create a little iceberg to rest on
Require 1/3rd of the players to forgo resting to ritually cast Floating Disk in perpetuity for a long rest.
Create a faux-catamaran with nets and inflatable-esque packs
Bring along a plank big enough to sit and cast Tiny Hut on, then lift it up, and flip that plank upside down.